Chapter 02

A Midsummer Dream...

 

Henry stared at the young boy standing behind him. The young boy was small built so Henry assumed that he was probably a high school boy. The boy had his hand on his hip and his face had a funny expression on it.

“I was here first.” The boy said with an oddly small voice for a male.

Henry nodded his head towards the reception next to him.

“What?! I told you I got here first!” The boy yelled at him with an expression he took as being furious.

“Get over it. This isn’t the only reception counter here.” Henry said and turned back towards the woman behind the counter.

“At least apologize!” The boy yelled at him again.

Henry sighed feeling obnoxious with the boy.

“Why should I? You’re just a boy so have some respect.” Henry said without turning around.

“BOY?! Respect?! You sure do have a lot of respect for others huh?!” The boy said loudly.

“Can’t you keep your voice down?!” Henry said between gritted teeth as he grabbed the boys arm.

The boy glared at him as he tried to free his hand.

“Let go of me!” The boy kept saying as he pulled on his arm.

For a boy, Henry realized he too wasn’t that strong. Of course he wouldn’t be strong. Henry could feel that even his arm was pretty skinny and small.

“Stop making a fuss.” Henry said as he let go off her hand.

“Sir? Your room’s ready.” The woman behind the counter voiced out breaking the silence.

Henry still stared at the little boy as his other hand grabbed for the room keys before he walked off.

“Ignore him Henry, you’re here to enjoy your vacation. Let’s just hope he doesn’t appear again.” Henry whispered to himself.

Amber continued to stare at the guy as he walked away.

“Excuse me? Urm…” The woman at the reception from earlier called for Amber but seemed to be unsure what to call her.

“I’m a girl alright. Just get me a room.” Amber sighed.

The woman awkwardly nodded her head and went on to help Amber check in. After receiving her room keys, Amber went off to find her own cabin. Amber wanted to forget that annoying man she had unluckily met earlier and just enjoy her vacation.

She had just recently turned 20 and her parents promised her a vacation as her birthday present and Hawaii was where she chose to go. At first her parents were against her going somewhere outside LA but after months of pleading and a lot of persuading, her parents finally gave in. Well, it was more like her father who gave in. Her mom was still fussy about the entire thing.

While on her way to her room, she could see the view of the beach from the cabins. It was really calm and relaxing to hear the sounds of the waves and feel the wind blowing against her skin and messing up her hair. Her room was spacious for her to use alone but who cares, it was her vacation and she was going to enjoy it as much as she can. She saved up her money just so that she could come here alone. Amber ran towards the bed and dropped herself on it feeling the plush bed against her back.

“This is so great!!” Amber screamed into the pillow.

She then walked up towards the sliding door and noticed the beautiful scenery outside her room. Excitedly, she got out to the balcony as she spread out her hands and whiffed the air with her eyes closed. Upon opening her eyes she realized that her eyes were now looking at a man standing at the cabin opposite hers. She stared at him for a really long time and so did he. After blinking several times she finally realized who he was.

“YOU!” Amber yelled.

The guy looked like he was annoyed and decided to turn around and walk back into his cabin.

“Hey! Wait!” Amber yelled again but he had already closed the sliding door shut.

Amber sighed as she too stomped back into her cabin cursing along the way feeling unsatisfied.

“What bad luck do I have having to see that face again?!” Amber yelled as she started stomping her feet.

“Let’s just hope I don’t see him again once I get to the beach.” Amber said to herself as she went to change out of her clothes into a pair of Hawaiian shorts and a t-shirt not forgetting her cap too.

Amber grabbed her camcorder and a pair of flips flops on the way out of her cabin. After slipping into her flip flops, Amber smiled as she opened up her camcorder.

“Hi!! Right now, I’m in Hawaii. Just landed like two hours ago and just reached the hotel about half an hour ago. Heading to the beach right now!” Amber talked into the camcorder as she smiled and waved.

“Can you see the beach behind me?!” Amber said again as she turned her back against the view of the beach.

She takes a few steps back trying to make sure she caught a clear picture of the beach not wanting to miss it in the shot. Amber twists the tiny screen and stares at it as she takes a few steps back again forgetting about the stairs behind her.

“What are you doing?” Amber heard a man talk to her from behind.

“What?” Amber turns around moving her feet along and ended up slipping off the stairs.

The man runs up to her but the both of them falls to the sand filled ground. Amber was hugging onto her camcorder for dear life not wanting to ruin it in the process.

“Oh my god! Are you okay?!” Amber cried as she took a good look at her camcorder.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” The man answers as he sat up only to realize that she wasn’t even talking to him.

“I saved you but your camcorder is the one you’re worried about?” He retorted standing up as he brushed off the sand from his clothes.

“Off course! I had to save up my allowances just to buy this.” Amber said still immeressed in her camcorder inspecting for any scratches.

“Isn’t it courtesy to even ask the person who saved you if he was alright or not? Mr.Respect?!” He said in a sarcastic tone.

As soon as he said mister, he surely had Amber’s attention. Amber looked up from her camera and glared at him with an unsatisfied look.

 

“What? I’m right aren’t I?” Henry said staring at the boy.

“Did you say mister?” Amber asked him still glaring.

“Then what should I have called you? A missus?” Henry retorted laughing at his own unfunny sarcasm.

Amber snorted as she slowly stood up. She stared at him for a little while before she shoved him and walked off.

“Hey! You knocked me down and now you shove me?!” Henry yelled.

Amber curses as she brushed the sand off her body. Henry stared as the boy walked away. Honestly, Henry felt weird about the boy. His brain kept telling him that the person is a boy but he had this feeling bugging him like he wasn’t. Feeling oddly curious, Henry followed after the boy.

Amber headed towards the beach and opened up her camcorder as soon as she was nearing it.

“At last!! I’m just meters away from the beach!” She yelled happily into the camcorder.

She twists the screen again to check if she was taking a good angle of herself. Upon doing so, she noticed a person walking right behind her. She turns around and sees the man from before.

“What are you doing?” Amber asked as she shut her camcorder.

“Heading to the beach? Duh!” He said as she walked pass her.

Amber made funny faces behind his back before she ran up to the sandy beach. She took of her flip flops and ran into the shallow part of the sea.

“Weee~~ I’m finally dipping my feet into Hawaii’s beach!” She screamed as she shot her feet dipping in the sea water.

“Now, let’s see how blue the sea is!” Amber said and shot from her feet and up ahead.

A man stands in her way a few meters away with his arms spread apart. He was topless and looked like he was ready to take a swim.

“Excuse me!” Amber called him.

“Excuse me!” She yelled louder when the person didn’t move.

The person ignored her and went on to dive into the sea. Amber decided to forget about it and continued recording since he wasn’t in the way anymore.

“So pretty! I’ll just take a dip later. Now, let’s go take a walk along the beach!” Amber said and turned the camera towards her.

After a long walk along the beach, Amber went to the Tiki Bar they had sat up along the beach. As she sat on one of the stools, she ordered herself a glass of light cocktail. While she waited, she opened up her camcorder and watched her recordings. She tried hard to listen but the sound of the girls beside her squealing and giggling made it impossible.

“Excuse me. Do you mind keeping it down.” Amber said as she turned to face the girl beside her that was starting to shove her arm off the table top.

The girl stopped giggling and looked over her shoulder, glaring at Amber. Amber raised her eyebrow as she too stared at the girl. The girl looked at Amber from the ends of her hair down to her feet before she rolled her eyes and returned to continue giggling and squealing next to a guy.

“You probably heard me well enough. Do you mind toning it down a little?” Amber said again with her teeth gritted.

“What’s your problem?” The girl retorted as she turned her entire body to face Amber.

The girl had a pretty toned body and her skin looked like she had probably stayed under the sun a little way longer than she expected. She was obviously white but her tan made her look like a funny looking melting piece of chocolate. Her size was probably twice the size of Amber’s and she looked like she probably had a tough time squeezing them into her bikini that looked a little bit too small for her.

“I’m sorry if you couldn’t hear well but your giggling and squealing is too distracting.” Amber said plainly.

“Well, I’m sorry that you’re just not attractive enough.” The girl replied.

“And you probably had too much air in your head and s.” Amber whispered softly with her face turned away.

“What did you just say?!” The blonde girl yelled as she grabbed Amber’s t-shirt.

“Let go.” Amber told the girl as she tried to pull her t-shirt.

“Repeat what you just said!” The girl yelled again.

By then, everyone who was nearby was already gathered around the bar looking at the small Asian girl and a big built white blonde woman looking like they were about to get into a fight. Amber continued to struggle to pull her shirt free when a hand grabbed the blonde woman’s wrist.

“I don’t think that’s very ladylike.” The guy said as he flashed a smile at the blonde woman.

“Deserved it for being so rude.” The blonde woman said in an odd tone trying to sound innocent.

“I’m rude? You were the one who was making…” Amber tried to argue but the man wrapped his hand over .

Amber looked up at him bewildered to only realize that it was a familiar face.

“You shouldn’t talk much either.” He said to Amber before he turned back to face the blonde girl.

“Why don’t you just let him go and we’ll go get ourselves some cocktail or maybe go for a swim together.” He said caressing the blonde woman’s cheek.

The woman started turning bright red as she blushed. Her grip around Amber’s shirt slowly loosened and she finally released.

“Let’s go.” Henry said as he grabbed the woman’s arm and led her away from the bar.

Amber sighed as she adjusted her t-shirt.

“Here’s your drink.” The bartender said as he placed a glass of cocktail in front of her.

Amber thanked him and took a swig out of the glass. Upon her arrival to Hawaii for the first day and nothing had been going right for her. Every time she kept telling herself that things would get better, it just ended up getting worse or at least way beyond what she had imagined.