Chapter 13

A Midsummer Dream...

It was probably morning but Amber felt really drowsy in her bed. She didn’t feel like jumping out of bed to do anything fun maybe she just wanted to sleep in the entire day. Her phone buzzed and it woke her up. She didn’t remember setting the alarm but it went off anyway. Amber put it on snooze and pulled the blanket over her head about to go back to sleep when someone knocked on her front door. Amber pulled the blanket over her head hoping it would drown out the sound but the knock kept going on. Tired of hearing the sound of the door knocking, Amber grunted as she forced herself out of bed.

“Yes?” Amber answered the door grumpily with her eyes closed but there was no answer.

The person didn’t say anything but just laughed instead.

“Rise and shine sleepy head.” He said.

Amber opened her eyes, completely shocked to see Henry only inches away from her face.

“Good morning.” Henry grinned at her.

Amber was baffled as she turned her face away with a hand over .

“C’mon. Go get in the showers.” Henry turned her around and pushed her towards the bathroom.

“Wait! What are you doing here?!” Amber yelled at him.

“Don’t worry I won’t look.” Henry teased.

“No! I’m not getting in the shower with you here.” Amber tried to stop him but Henry was obviously stronger and had already pushed her into the bathroom.

“Be quick about it. I’ll just wait out here.” Henry said as he closed the bathroom door shut.

Amber was shocked as she just stood there staring at the door as if Henry himself was there and she was glaring at him. Amber sighed and turned towards the mirror. What she saw was a horror itself. Her hair was so messy that it looked like a bomb had exploded right in her hair in the middle of the night or something. She even had a red streak at the side of her cheek that was about the size of her arm.

“I can’t believe I look like this!” Amber silently screamed at herself in regret.

“Hey! Start the shower already. Or do you actually need me to go in there!” Henry yelled form behind the door.

“Alright I’ll get the shower going.” Amber yelled back as she ran for the door and locked it.

Without thinking any further, Amber stripped down her clothes from last night and went under the shower for a quick bath. After her shower, Amber panicked for a while when she thought that there wasn’t a towel in the bathroom but luckily a towel was neatly folded on a rack just by the shower. Amber neatly wrapped it around her body and for a while was hesitant to step out of the bathroom. What if he’s still out there? Inside her room? She can’t just step out wrapped in only a towel.

 “Henry?” Amber called out after a while.

“Henry? Are you there?” Amber asked again when she heard no answer.

When she was absolutely sure that there was no answer coming from Henry, she slowly unlocked the door and poked her head into the room. Thoroughly she scanned the entire room to make sure that Henry wasn’t standing around somewhere in the corner trying to sneak on her. Amber walked over to her bed to find a pair of cut off jeans and a blue chiffon boyfriend shirt nicely placed on it. A small note was placed right on top of the shirt that wrote, “Get dressed. I’ll wait. =)”

Amber felt the shiver down her spine. Did he go through her luggage?! Amber hurriedly went over to her luggage and saw that it was ped and some clothes were already halfway spilling out of it. Amber pushed it open and saw her clothes were a mess. Amber sighed. As she shoved her clothes back in, she realized that the zip for her underwear compartment wasn’t zipped up properly. Again, it made her nervous as she pulled out a piece of paper that was jutting out from the opening.

“Don’t worry, I didn’t look. ;)”

Amber wished she could scream but then it would have just grabbed Henry’s attention to want to come into her room right at that moment. Despite feeling angry at Henry at the moment, Amber got dressed in the clothes he prepared. She wasn’t in the mood to go through her messed up luggage. With the towel over her wet hair, Amber plopped on the bed as she slowly buttoned up her shirt as she made a mental reminder to herself to make sure she cleaned up her luggage tonight.

“You done?” Henry asked as he opened up the front door without warning.

“Hey!” Amber screamed as she hurriedly grabbed onto her top that she hadn’t manage to button up.

“Owh! Urm… err… I’ll just be outside.” Henry said hurriedly as he closed back the door.

Amber felt her face flushing beat red as she tried to calm herself down. How embarrassing was that to have someone barge into you while you’re getting dressed. Amber hurriedly buttoned up her shirt and dried her hair.

Henry stood by the door as he felt himself flushing in embarrassment. He had never been that embarrassed to walk into a girl getting dressed. Heck! He’d seen tons of women getting undress and he’s never felt that embarrassed before.  He continued to fiddle with his car keys in his hand as he waited.

“Are you just gonna stand there?” Amber asked trying to hide the embarrassment in her voice.

“You’re done?” Henry said as he turned around to face her.

“Urm… yeah.” Amber answered nonchalantly as she pulled on her shirt uncomfortably.

Honestly, she had never worn that shirt that her elder sister just recently bought as a birthday present. The material was odd on her skin and despite the camisole like lining she was uncomfortable that the material was slightly revealing to her own taste.

“I knew you would look pretty in that.” Henry exclaimed as he grinned.

“Now, come on or else we’ll miss out the day.” Henry quickly said as he grabbed her hand and started heading towards the lobby.

“Wait! Where are you bringing me?!” Amber asked as she tried to squirm her hand out of his grip.

“Don’t worry. You’ll be glad once we get there.” Henry told her before he went to the concierge at the lobby.

Henry said something to the concierge that Amber couldn’t grasp except for the word ‘car’ and ‘now’ before he handed the concierge his car keys. For a while, the both of them stood there as Henry continued to hold onto her hand.

“Did you bring your camera?” Henry asked suddenly.

Amber scrunched up her face at him. “Why would you want me to bring it?” Amber asked.

“Cause today will be worth to film.” He said as he tried to search around her.

“Ah, I knew you had it.” Henry exclaimed as he snatched the camcorder out of Amber’s other hand.

“Hey!” Amber yelled at him.

“Rude much.” Amber mumbled before she looked away from him.

“You should do something about that pout.” Henry said as he laughed aiming the camera lens at Amber’s face.

“Stop recording me.” Amber tried to push the camera out of her way.

“Sir?” A voice called Henry from behind just as the both of them were childishly fighting over the camera.

“Thank you.” Henry took his keys from the concierge.

“Let’s go.” Henry said as he led Amber to his car that was parked right in front of the lobby.

“This is a freaking kidnap!” Amber shrieked.

“No it’s not. Now, hold onto this.” Henry said as he placed the camcorder on her lap and tried to help her with the seat belt.

Without allowing Amber to say anything else, Henry got into the driver seat and started the engine.

“Aren’t you telling me where the heck are you bringing me?” Amber exclaimed.

“Just be patient and enjoy the ride.” Henry said as he started driving off.

With one hand on the steering wheel, with the other Henry pressed a button and the roof of the car opened right up. The breezy wind blew as he drove. Amber could feel it in her face and she could smell the saltiness of the sea in the air. The view was magnificent that morning and the weather was great. Amber had never ridden in a convertible before and it excited her. Forgetting the fact that she had just mentioned kidnap at Henry, Amber grabbed the camcorder on her lap and started filming the view as she brought her hand up in the air to feel the breeze beating against her skin softly.

Henry smiled watching how excited she seemed. For a while the drive went on until they finally came to a stop at a very busy place. The place was overcrowded with people and Amber noticed umbrellas and tents set up along the roads that it was not possible for a car to pass through.

“What’s going on there?” Amber asked as she stretched her neck to the side to look up ahead.

“It’s a flea market.” Henry said as he turned the car right and parked right behind a white SUV.

Amber continued to stare at the large crowd of people as she brought the camcorder up to the level of her face and started recording them.

“Let’s go.” Henry said as he got out of the car.

Amber hurriedly got out of the car and followed Henry closely from behind. She suddenly felt the hunger pang and her stomach grumbled. It instantly put her in a bad mood. Food was a priority and being hungry is something she really hated.

“Let’s get breakfast.” Henry said suddenly as if reading her mind or he actually heard her terrible stomach grumble.

Right there and then, there was a small bakery out of the whole stretch of small shops. The bakery was obviously Hawaiian themed and they had tiny tiki torches on each table for two. The shop was too small and they only had about 5 tables for two. The seats were all made of bamboo and the staffs wore bright Hawaiian shirts with matching coloured visors. The bell attached to the top of the door made a noise when they walked into the shop.

“Aloha…” The blond haired cashier with a nice tan greeted them.

She probably said something more than Aloha but Amber and Henry didn’t really get what she said anyways.

“Erm… Aloha.” Henry said as they walked up to the cashier.

“What can I get you?” She beamed cheerfully.

Amber was already distracted by the array of various baked goods displayed. She didn’t know which to choose. The descriptions were all in Hawaiian and she didn’t understood what they meant.

“What’s the best ones you have?” Henry asked.

“Our coconut pie is our bestseller. But if you prefer something less sweet we do sell some pretty good sherperd’s pie too.” She said.

“Are those egg tarts?” Henry asked eyeing the baked good that looked like egg tarts.

“Indeed they are. Portuguese egg tarts.” She said specifically.

“I’ll have two of those egg tarts and a Shepard’s pie.” He said to the cashier as she keyed them in.

“What about you?” Henry asked Amber.

“That one.” She said pointing at the coconut pie without her eyes leaving them.

“And some coffee too.” Amber continued before she walked off to find a seat.

“Make it two coffees please.” Henry said finishing off their orders.

“Alrighty.” The cashier said before she went on to settle their orders.

Amber sat at a table by the bakery’s large window.  She had already started recording the inside of the bakery. She caught the business going on outside. People were selling and bargaining all sorts of things from food to even clothes. Amber was so engrossed in her recording that she hadn’t realized that Henry was already placing their tray of food on the table.

“Boo!” Henry went making Amber jump in her seat.

Amber didn’t say anything but glared at Henry.

Henry laughed as he distributed the cutleries.

“C’mon let’s eat.” He said as he placed a medium sized coconut pie in front of Amber.

Amber quickly smiled as she clasped her hands together staring down at the pie. Without a second thought, Amber grabbed her fork and started digging in.

“You’re quick huh.” Henry exclaimed as he too started taking a bite of his food.

“This is so good!” Amber said between chews.

“You’re right. They are good. Want some?” Henry offered the shepherd’s pie.

“May I?” Amber said but her fork was already starting to attack Henry’s pie.

“Your fork just answered for me I suppose.” Henry said as he picked up an egg tart.

“Egg tart!” Amber exclaimed suddenly.

“Urm… yeah. Want one?” Henry said offering the unbitten tart in his hand.

Amber nodded her head eagerly as she looked from the tart back to Henry.

“Eat up.” Henry extended the tart to Amber.

Amber broke into a small giggle as she took the tart and took a bite.

Henry couldn’t help but smile as he watched her eat. She had a big appetite but it wasn’t really in such a displeasing and disgusting manner. She was cute.

The both of them went on to finishing up their food. And by the time the plates and cups were empty, Amber was already receding in her seat like she just had too much to eat.

“You done?” Henry asked.

“Uhuh…” Amber answered smiling widely as she rubbed her tummy.

“Should we go for a stroll and let all that tart and pie settle down?” Henry said before he started laughing like he had just made a funny comment.

“That wasn’t really funny but sure I guess.” Amber retorted.

“It wasn’t?” Henry said as he cleared his throat feeling slightly embarrassed.

“Okay, let’s go.” Amber the cream of the tip of her thumb and picked up her camera again.

Before Henry could say anything more, Amber was already standing outside the door focused on recording the busy vendor streets. Henry smiled as he picked up his hoodie from the chair and headed outside.

“So, where should we head first?” Henry asked standing next to Amber.

“I dunno.” She said in a whisper just enough for Henry to hear.

“It’s decided then.” Henry said as he grabbed Amber’s hand and led hear through the crowd.

“Hey! Hey!” Amber called out to Henry.

“This is some crowd huh?” Henry said looking back at Amber.

“You can say that again.” Amber said as she tried to twist her hand out of Henry’s grip.

“Not a good idea.” Henry said as he pulled her towards him and held her in between his arms.

“It should be safer this way.” Amber could hear Henry’s voice next to her ear.

He was close. Really close. She could feel his chest against her back. Amber felt her entire body freeze that the noise totally mellowed out. Henry maneuvered her through crowd. She wasn’t sure where they were going and she was no longer focused on recording what she saw. She went along and didn’t pay attention to the stalls, the sounds or even the smells. She could only hear the sound of her heart beating against her chest and the heat rousing up her face.

“That looks interesting.” Henry’s words suddenly popped into her ear as if it had just squeezed through a tight bubble.

“What?” Amber stuttered as she looked up.

His face was really close. So close that if they kissed it was possible. Her heart sank in nervousness as she looked at his handsome face with the sunshine shining behind his head.

Amber finally realized that they had already stopped walking and was standing in front of a small stall that was intricately decorated with flowers of different sizes and colours. They had all sorts of different ornaments and accessories made out of flowers only.

“The freshest flowers in town sir!” The kid excitedly started promoting his stall.

He was tanned skinned and had wild curly hair. He didn’t look anything over 15. An elderly woman probably about 60 years old and similar looking features as the boy sat on a chair right behind him weaving a set of flowers into what seemed to be forming into a flower crown.

“Picked them right from our garden! What about the yellow hibiscus sir?” The kid exclaimed as he picked up a bracelet of yellow hibiscus.

Henry picked the bracelet from the kids hand and observed the intricate work. It was neatly woven together and the flowers looked absolutely fresh.

“What about this flower crown for your girlfriend?” The elderly woman spoke up suddenly as she slowly made her way to the front of the stall and stood in front of Amber.

“Me?” Amber stuttered as she pointed at herself.

The elderly woman didn’t say anything but smiled as she placed the yellow hibiscus crown around Amber’s head.

“How pretty.” She said as she neatly tucked Amber’s hair as she smiled lovingly.

“How much will that be?” Henry asked.

“It’s on me.” The elderly said as she started making her way back to her seat.

“Then, how much is for this?” Henry asked as he held up the bracelet he had been holding onto earlier.

“That’ll be $5 sir.” The boy chirped as the woman quietly made another flower crown.

Amber felt shy and embarrassed somehow. The woman seemed to look at her in a different way compared to most people. Usually people would look at her and immediately say she’s a boy but with her it was different. She even called her pretty which was a very, very rare word for Amber to hear. Amber picked up her camera again and started recording the stall.

“Is that a camera miss? Hello!” The kid cheerfully chirped as he waved in the air.

“Look nana, a camera!” He said to the elderly woman who only smiled as her hand busily continued her work.

This was a memory she wanted to be part of her trip. Amber smiled at the small screen of her camera and the elderly woman looked straight at the camera and smiled as if returning Amber’s smile.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new chapter for you guys! I'm hoping to finish this fic as soon as possible before my sem break is over cause I'll feel bad if I keep leaving this story unfinished since I've left it for quite a long time now. So, please enjoy! And I apologize cause I don't really have much knowledge on Hawaii so I'm really sorry if the information isn't right and all.