Chapter 05

A Midsummer Dream...

 

That afternoon, Amber sat on her bed trying to mentally remembering the clothes she had packed for the trip. After trying hard to remember but ended up failing, Amber went for her luggage and started rummaging through it. All she could find was a black coloured shirt with thin white stripes.

“I guess that’ll just have to do.” Amber said as she placed the shirt next to the white skinnies she had picked earlier.

She turned around from the clothes and saw that she had made a big mess. Her clothes were clattered all over around her luggage.

“Ma would kill me if she saw this.” Amber whispered and she grabbed her clothes and placed them on her bed as she started folding each one of them.

Despite her tomboyish look Amber didn’t mind doing stuff like cleaning up the house, cooking or even doing the laundry. It wasn’t something she wasn’t used too. Her mother was a very typical Asian mother. And a Chinese one at that, her mother never believed in getting house help. She and her sister always had to help around the house ever since they were little girls. And of course, they had too if they wanted to avoid her mother’s constant nagging.

After she was done, Amber neatly placed her clothes back into her luggage and picked up the dirty clothes she had left the day before off the floor and placed them in the laundry basket. By the time it was 7.30 p.m, Amber was already done from getting ready. Her black shirt with white stripes was tucked into her white skinnies and the cap was left out for the night.

On her way to the event venue, Amber could feel the wind blowing hard making the night cooler than it was during the day. The walk was pretty long and Amber was relieved when she finally found the place. The entire beach was dark but from afar the lights from the event lit up brightly making it the center of attention. The music started getting louder and louder as she walked towards it.

Amber was welcomed by a few hula dancers, males and females. One of the woman hula dancers hung a string of flowers around her neck and handed her a cocktail with a smile. Amber gladly took the glass and started heading towards the dance floor. There weren’t as much people as she had expected but nonetheless, the place was still crowded with tourists.

“To all our lovely guests here tonight, we would like to invite all of you to take a comfortable seat and enjoy the performance.” The DJ spoke.

Amber gladly walked over towards a couch she saw from afar. A few people were already seated there but by the time she walked over, it was already overcrowded with people. Sighing, Amber abruptly turns around and ends up colliding into a female waitress carrying a tray of cocktail and a bucket of ice.

“Oh my goodness! I’m so sorry!” The young girl apologized as she tried to wipe Amber’s clothes with the towel she had.

The girl kept dabbing all over Amber’s shirt before what the girl though was a male chest, she stops wide eyed. Amber felt awkward and neither of them moved. The girl looked like she had just seen a ghost.

“Are you okay?” A male voice spoke that made the young waitress turn her attention to him.

Amber was soaking wet and she could already feel a few blocks of ice melting under her bra making her feel very uncomfortable.

“You need a new change of…” Henry’s words trailed when he realized that he wasn’t staring at a man’s chest.

Amber crossed her arms over her chest embarrassedly. She didn’t dare to look up at Henry or anyone else around her. The ice had soaked her entire shirt making her body shape visible. She didn’t even realize how thin the material of her shirt was.

 “Why don’t you get her a new change of clothes?” Henry said to the young waitress as she nodded her head.

“No, no. I’ll just walk back to my cabin.” Amber tried to escape from the place.

“That’s too far of a walk and its cold.” Henry said grabbing onto her shoulder.

“Come si… miss. I’ll get you a change of clothes.” The girl quickly changed her words when she realized she was almost making a mistake making herself turn bright red.

Amber was reluctant but Henry was already pushing her towards where the young waitress was heading. Amber’s hands wouldn’t leave her chest alone and she could already feel the cold sensation on her arm.

“We only have this.” The young waitress said after going through a locker.

“I’m not wearing that.” Amber said trying to turn away.

“Just wear it.” Henry grabbed the piece of clothing from the girl’s hands and pushed it towards Amber.

Henry and the young waitress left Amber alone in the small locker room. Amber sighed as she ed her wet shirt first. The water had started dripping a while ago making her pair of white skinnies wet too.

Amber kept pulling on the piece of clothing she was wearing. It was probably the most uncomfortable thing she ever had to wear. It was strapless beach dress with Hawaiian flowers all over it. She almost felt like it was provocative realizing for the first time that she could see her own cleavage.

“Are you done? I’m coming in alright.” Amber could hear the waitress’s voice after she knocked on the door.

“Wow!” The girl said when she walked in which made Amber jump and turn around.

“You look better than I expected in that.” She continued.

Amber almost felt offended by her comment when all she could do was give the girl a sarcastic smile that she hoped the girl hadn’t noticed. The girl continued to smile at Amber until she saw that Amber still had her pair of sneakers on.

“It could’ve been better if you weren’t wearing those.” The girl said staring at her shoes.

“I’m not going for a fashion show.” Amber snorted.

“Here. Have this.” The girl reached for the flower she had behind her ear and tried to tuck it behind Amber’s ear.

“Wait, no.” Amber tried to stop her but the girl had already secured the flower neatly behind her ear.

“Now, let’s go.” The girl grabbed Amber’s arm and the both of them got out of the room.

“I’ll get your clothes cleaned and sent to your cabin.” The waitress showed Amber’s clothes that she had gathered before running off to continue her job.