Chapter 7

Creating a Dancing Queen

Hyoyeon walked aimlessly around the park that was next to the school.  Her thoughts kept on scrolling through her head. The things Suzy told her about her dancing skills .  The things Eunhyuk told her about trust and being a coward.  The things Sunny told her about trust and friendship. 

How can she not trust her most important and best friend?

She then started to think of Eunhyuk.  The hurt in his eyes made her heart ache. 

She then started to think of the night in the club.  How kind he was to her and how he made her feel excited inside. What kind of mess did she get herself into?

"Hyoyeon?" She turned around and saw Donghae, one of Eunhyuk's friends.

"You're Hyoyeon right? Eunhyuk's slave."

"Well, I'm Hyoyeon, but I'm not Eunhyuk's slave anymore."

"Did something happen?"

"Nothing." Donghae eyed her suspiciously. 

"If nothing happened then why are you sulking, by yourself, in the park."

Hyoyeon did not respond.  Donghae sighed and sat down on the park bench next to her. 

"You can tell me anything," said Donghae. 

"I'm not sure."

"I can keep the best secrets."  Donghae said in a playful tone which made Hyoyeon smile a little. 

"Do you not trust me?" asked Donghae with pretend hurt in his voice.  Hyoyeon shook her head no. 

"I guess if I was in your shoes, I wouldn't trust me either." Hyoyeon giggled a little and turned to face Donghae. 

"But that is exactly my problem," said Hyoyeon, "I can't seem to trust people.  I can't even tell my best friend, who has been by my side for a long time, my secret."

"I see."

"Instead of telling her what's wrong, I get angry and lie to her.  What is wrong with me."  Hyoyeon then buried her head in her hands.  Donghae stayed silent and stared at Hyoyeon with pity in his eyes. 

"It looks kind of pathetic, doesn't it?" asked Hyoyeon. 

"What looks pathetic?"

"That a girl can't even trust her own best friend."

"No I don't think that it's pathetic."

"You don't."  Donghae shook his head which reassured Hyoyeon a little bit. 

"Some people do have trust issues and some trust people too easily."

Hyoyeon nodded her head. 

"It is not good to just hand out your trust so easily, unless someone has proven to you that they can be trusted.  It is also good to not trust everyone, but sometimes you need let yourself trust people who have been by your side for a long time."

"I see."

"Now, you should go to your friend and apologize."

"Yeah, but I don't know how."

"Just call her up and ask her to meet you somewhere.  Then apologize sincerely."

"Okay."

"Also, if you want to establish trust with them, you should probably tell them your secret."

Hyoyeon nodded her head.  She stood up and turned to face Donghae. 

"Thanks so much for your advice," said Hyoyeon.  She bowed to him in thanks and he smiled. 

"I will try to trust people more." 

"Ah, but don't just trust anybody, make them earn it."

"I will."  Hyoyeon smiled and walked away from the bench.  She grabbed her cell phone and dialed Sunny's number. She prayed that Sunny would at least see her. 

 

Hyoyeon walked up to Sunny's house and was about to knock on the door, but she hesitated.  She took a deep breath and knocked on the door.  The door opened and Sunny stood there.  Her face was solemn and she seemed to have some anger in her eyes. 

"What did you want to talk to me about?" snapped Sunny. 

"Can I come in?" asked Hyoyeon. 

"I don't know if I trust you," said Sunny.  Hyoyeon looked down and Sunny sighed dramatically.  She opened the door further and motioned for Hyoyeon to enter.  Hyoyeon then followed Sunny up the stairs to her room.  Sunny then planted herself on the bed and Hyoyeon stood in front of her. 

"I want to apologize Sunny," said Hyoyeon.  Sunny just stared at her in silence. 

"You are right, I should be able to trust you more.  You have given me your trust and you have always been there for me."  Sunny raised an eyebrow. 

"I have a problem with trusting people and I don't know if it is because I am a quiet girl or just because its the way I am.  I now understand that I can trust you and I really don't want to lose our friendship."

Hyoyeon clasped her hands together and Sunny continued to stare at her with a solemn, blank expression on her face.  

"I just was having a bad day today and I seemed to have taken it out on you and I'm sorry.  I hope that we can continue being friends." Hyoyeon could feel a tremendous amount of pressure under Sunny's cold gaze. 

"Hyoyeon you make it so difficult for me to stay mad at you," said Sunny.  She then smiled and Hyoyeon could feel relief wash over her. 

"Sunny," said Hyoyeon.  Sunny opened her arms for a hug and Hyoyeon walked over to her.  She squeezed her friend tightly. Once they released each other Hyoyeon then sat down on the bed next to Sunny. 

"Again, I am sorry Sunny."

"It's alright, I forgive you."

"I don't deserve your forgiveness."

"Hey, you are my friend, no matter what, I will always forgive you."  Sunny then smiled brightly.

"Thanks, you are the best."

"Now tell me, what happened today."

"First, I need to tell you something about myself."

"What is it?"

Hyoyeon took a deep breath and told Sunny about her secret fear of dancing in front of others.  Sunny then hugged Hyoyeon. 

"Thanks for telling me Hyoyeon.  It means a lot that you are now opening up to me."  She then released Hyoyeon. 

"There is more. I already told you about how I became Eunhyuk's slave, but I did not tell you about him helping me dance." Sunny's eyes went wide. 

"What did you just say?"

"Well, Eunhyuk figured it out about my fear."

"So, he then decided to help you?"

"Yeah, but I still had to act as his slave."

"So what happened?"

"Well, earlier today, I sort of got into a fight with him."

"About what?"  Hyoyeon then explained what the fight was about.  Sunny just shook her head. 

"You should realize that he is right," said Sunny. 

"I don't think he is," said Hyoyeon, "why should I step that far out of my comfort zone? And why should I suddenly believe in him?  I barely even know him. "

"Because, stepping outside of your comfort zone is the only way you are going to gain confidence.  And I think that you need to have a little bit more faith in people." 

"I don't know."

"Don't you see, you are an amazing dancer and if you participate in this competiton, your comfort zone will expand." 

Hyoyeon bit her lip in thought. 

"He is thinking the best for you, and doing this competition is really the best thing for you.You just need to trust him."

"You think?" Sunny nodded her head and smiled. 

"Maybe I was wrong."

"Yeah, and?"

"I should apologize to Eunhyuk."  

"That is something you need to do right away the next time you see him."

"Okay, I will apologize to him tomorrow when I see him at school."

"Then its settled. And Hyoyeon, don't be afraid to talk about stuff with me.  I'm your best friend and I will always be there for you."

"I know."

"Anything else you need to tell me?" asked Sunny. 

"Well, there is something that I am confused about."

"What is that?"

"Everytime I dance with Eunhyuk, I don't know what happens to me.  I start to feel warm and giddy inside.  I dance much more passionately with him than I do alone."  Sunny had a knowing smirk on her face and Hyoyeon looked back at her in confusion. 

"What?" asked Hyoyeon and Sunny smiled brightly. 

"Oh Hyoyeon, you are so naive." 

"What is it?"

"You like him."

"What?"  Sunny smiled brightly. 

"You. Like. Eunhyuk."  Hyoyeon froze and stared at Sunny. 

"That warm feeling you get inside your body, means that you like him."

"But-t-" Sunny held up her hand.

"Just admit it, you like him," said Sunny as she nudged her in the shoulder. 

"I don't know," said Hyoyeon. 

"Hey, you better not be lying to me."  Sunny squinted her eyes. 

"But, I seriously don't know.  I have never really felt like this before."

Sunny raised an eyebrow at her and Hyoyeon sighed. 

"Fine, I do like him," said Hyoyeon.  Sunny squealed and leaped off the bed. 

"My Hyoyeon likes someone," chanted Sunny. 

"Shut up," pleaded Hyoyeon and Sunny started laughing. She then jumped back on the bed and tackled her friend.  They both then went into a laughing fit. Once they both calmed down, they both got off the bed. 

"Okay tomorrow, you need to apologize to Eunhyuk," said Sunny. 

"Yeah I will," said Hyoyeon. 

"You can't chicken out okay?"

Hyoyeon nodded her head. 

"Okay, I will see you tomorrow," said Sunny as she waved goodbye to Hyoyeon. 

"Yeah," replied Hyoyeon as she left Sunny's house.

She walked down the sidewalk with a little skip in her step.  It felt good to finally have things fixed between her and Sunny.  It felt nice to finally confide in someone and she felt lighter now that she told Sunny everything.  Now the big challenge will come tomorrow.  

Apologizing to Eunhyuk.

 

The Next day, Hyoyeon was a her locker at school.  There were butterflies in her stomach as she wondered how she was going to apologize to Eunhyuk.  She was extremely nervous to see his face again.

"Morning Hyoyeon," greeted Sunny as she walked up to Hyoyeon with a big smile on her face.

"Morning Sunny."

"You ready?" Hyoyeon swallowed hard.

"I don't know what to say to him."

"Just start off with 'I'm Sorry' and then the rest will come to you."  Hyoyeon slowly nodded her head.

"Okay."

"You can do this Hyoyeon."

"What if he won't forgive me?"

"I'm sure that he will."

"Okay." 

"There he is." 

Hyoyeon looked over her shoulder and saw Eunhyuk walking down the hallway.  His hands were tucked in his pockets and he wore his infamous smirk on his face.  Her heart fluttered a little bit inside her chest at the sight of him.  

She then noticed that someone had there arm wrapped with his.  Her heart sank when she saw it was Suzy. 

"What the hell?" asked Sunny.  She saw Suzy the same time that Hyoyeon did.  Suzy was smiling brightly as she skipped with her thin arm around his.  Hyoyeon quickly looked away not wanting to see the scene before her anymore.  

"Hyoyeon?" asked Sunny with concern in her voice. 

"Let's get to class," said Hyoyeon.  She grabbed Sunny's arm and quickly started speed walking down the hallway. 

She looked over her shoulder one last time.  Her eyes then locked with Eunhyuk's eyes for a split second.  He quickly turned his attention to Suzy who started to smile more brightly.  Her heart then began to break slowly and she turned her head forward again, not wanting to ever see him again.