Color 11

Irises Collage

Woot woot.. dance dance dance.. An update! Its been over three months since i first created this story and we only reached chapter 11 OTL I will try harder to update more okaes! Love all of you sweethearts!  

 

 

Hyunwoo glanced at his forever-accurate watch, Yoseob was nine minutes late… as usual. But he was more concerned about Yoseob not showing up at all. Five more minutes, he told himself, and he would scream the younger man’s ears off for being late. He sat quietly on the soft cushiony seat as he observed the customers inside the café.

 

 

He knew something was wrong when Yoseob did not reply to his message that night, he tried thinking that Yoseob was already asleep and the younger man absolutely needed all the sleep he could get, but even on the next day, there was nothing.

 

 

So Hyunwoo tried messaging again – a short ‘kid, what are you doing?’ – and again there was nothing. Hyunwoo checked his phone twice as much as he would have in a week time, but then there was still nothing and Hyunwoo sighed. Honestly and logically, the older man should be relieved, he should be jumping for joy (although Hyunwoo did not jump for joy even in his happiest moments), he should be glad that his life returned back to normal without any annoying texts, troublesome whines, and irritating calls. Hyunwoo should be unbelievably grateful that he was back to his pre-Yoseb life. Simple and alone.

 

 

Alone. The word hit him like a precise punch to the gut.

 

 

It had been a while since he was left alone because the stubborn almost-underage idol would not leave him alone. Hyunwoo complaint a lot and tried to push the younger man away countless of times, but Yoseob stuck to him like baby koala, ignoring irritated stares and annoyed grumbles from Hyunwoo as he continued to drive Hyunwoo insane.

 

 

Hyunwoo had done things he had never thought he would have done – cycling without a jacket on in a thunderstorm, missing his working hours just to hold a sick Yoseob, smiling at silly pictures from a photo box – things were exciting for him. Life was exciting for him. Post-Yoseob life was exciting. Bright smiles and even brighter eyes, cute pouty lips, small button nose, soft hair perfect for ruffling. Hyunwoo had never thought he would smoke over Yoseob, not even the slightest; in fact, he was still shocked by the fact that he had decided to smoke thinking about Yoseob.

 

 

He picked up his emergency cigarette again that night when there was no reply, no answer, no news, no nothing from Yoseob. He in the white stick and glorious smoke burned his throat and lungs, it had been a long time since he last smoked – he quit a long time ago – but he needed the comfort of the stick for the night. Just one stick will be enough, Hyunwoo told himself; because one stick was usually enough to calm his tense body and mind from thinking about Sooyeon.

 

 

Hyunwoo was on his third cigarette stick – and was a second away from calling Dongwoon to ask about Yoseob – when his phone finally beeped.

 

 

1.37 am

From: Stubborn Kid

To: Old Ahjussi

 

                Dongwoon spilled a liter of Coke on my phone last nite OTL it died poor phone T.T but nw I hv a new phone.grins :)wat r u doing?

   

 

In all honesty, Hyunwoo did not know what he should be feeling now reading the casual message. The older man almost went insane without any news from Yoseob. The reason why Hyunwoo went insane… he would rather not think about it at this moment. Hyunwoo clutched his phone tightly, relieved that Yoseob was still the same irritating kid but totally annoyed at the casual tone of his text. Didn’t he know Hyunwoo almost went ballistic because there was no news from him? Multiplied by the younger man’s sad smile the other day… Hyunwoo rubbed his face because he was going crazy, a crazy old man.

 

 

He groaned in frustration in his sophisticated apartment. Aloud.

 

 

 Hyunwoo wanted to throw his phone to the wall across, wanted to punch himself for smoking three sticks, wanted to scream at Yoseob, but instead he smiled. He let out a relieved breath, and started to reply with a happy grin on his face.

 

 

1.39 am

From: Old Ahjussi

To: Stubborn Kid

 

You have all the data from your old phone?

 

 

 

1.40 am

From: Stubborn Kid

To: Old Ahjussi

 

                WOW!u rply fast!nods.i hv this sync thingy.u mayb 2 old 2 understnd sync-ing.lol.oh u may want 2 google lol.i dun think u knw wat lol is.haha!

 

 

Laughing, Hyunwoo shook his head at the new text. It was so amusing to talk to Yoseob… and he kind of missed the young man – not in a romantic way, mind you. They did not really call each other; Hyunwoo preferred text messaging because he was not a vocal person to begin with, and in his own opinion, they were not close enough to call each other.

 

 

So this was how he quickly agreed when Yoseob asked to meet up in the café Hyunwoo had never heard of before. And Yoseob was already fifteen minutes late – a minute more than Hyunwoo’s prediction before – but he would give the younger man another five minutes. Just another five minutes. In the meantime, Hyunwoo observed the café in details, like how he usually did in his line of work.

 

 

The café was unexpectedly crowded even though it was still too early, maybe because it was the weekend, maybe because it was located at Gangnam, the most prestigious shopping area in Seoul, or maybe because it was a really nice place to chill and hang out. The interior was sophisticated with majority of monochrome dark colors – similar to Hyunwoo’s apartment – and dark woods, comfortable with lots of throw cushions and sofas. The details were interesting for Hyunwoo, they were almost a contrary to the main look, with lots of cute plushies, this out-of-nowhere-life-sized kangaroo statue-thing, and adorable little knick knacks filling up the cabinets.

 

 

Yet, one thing struck Hyunwoo the most since he first came in. The pictures. There were lots of pictures of this pretty man – it was a man, wasn’t it? Or was it a woman? A man could not be that vain – frames upon frames of his pictures were hung on the wall, not mentioning this huge banner of his face at one side of the wall. There were rows and rows of CD’s on the cabinet with his face and a few other people on them – Hyunwoo decided that he would be a singer in a group or something.

 

 

Hyunwoo looked at the cup sleeves of his almost-finished iced Americano. It said Coffee Cojjee. What a strange name, the older man was not even sure how to spell it correctly. Youths nowadays, he shook his head.

 

 

“AHJUSSSIIII!!!!”

 

 

Hyunwoo almost jumped from his seat and took cover under the table (that was basic survival skill during an ambush) when Yoseob screamed his name and ran towards him. A few people turned to look at an excited Yoseob but merely smiled and nodded their heads in greetings, like the younger man was just some boy and not an international superstar. He plopped carelessly onto the seat beside Hyunwoo and grinned at him.

 

 

Hyunwoo frowned, uncomfortable at the full-toothed grin, “What?”

 

 

“Oh , nothing.” Yoseob answered, still staring at Hyunwoo with the bright grin.

 

 

“What?”

 

 

Yoseob placed his elbow on the table and rested his cheek on his palm, still not looking away from Hyunwoo, “Nothing, really. I’m just happy.”

 

 

Hyunwoo raised his eyebrows in suspicion, “I’m glad you are happy.”

 

 

“You look really great today, with normal tee shirts and sneakers. You don’t look that old. And the cap,” Yoseob motioned at the black cap, “I might lend you some of mine.”

 

 

Hyunwoo adjusted his cap. The fact that Yoseob was almost twenty minutes late flew right out of Hyunwoo’s mind to the nearest glass window. “Do I look weird? I don’t hang out often so I don’t usually dress this way.”

 

 

“Nu-uh,” Yoseob shook his head, “You look absolutely fine. And this is a date.”

 

 

“What happened to hanging out?”

 

 

“This is a date. Period.” Yoseob looked around, ignoring Hyunwoo’s death stare, “Oh, Dongwoon is coming in a while.”

 

 

“It’s not a date when there are 3 people, Kid.”

 

 

Yoseob looked at Hyunwoo, mischief twinkling in his eyes, “So this is a date, huh? There are only two of us now.”

 

 

“I – I – I didn’t say that.” Hyunwoo winced, “…did I?”

 

 

Yoseob raise his eyebrows in pure amusement and upon seeing Hyunwoo’s confused face, he burst into laughter, slamming the table a few times because Ahjussi was just too funny… he was hilarious.

 

 

“Yah… yah…” Hyunwoo poked Yoseob, “Yah… are you laughing at me?”

 

 

“Oh, Ahjussi,” Yoseob was breathless; it was a long time ago since he last laughed like that, “Ahjussi, you are precious.”

 

 

Hyunwoo frowned, “Stop calling me precious.”

 

 

Yoseob continued his laughing fit.

 

 

“Aish, you are so annoying – oh, Dongwoonah.” Hyunwoo waved to the maknae who just entered the café. Once Dongwoon had sighted both of them, he bowed politely along the way to their table.

 

 

“Hyung-nim, great to see you.” Dongwoon bowed again before he took a seat next to an amused Yoseob.

 

 

Hyunwoo winced, “Dongwoonah, he won’t stop staring at me.” He said and pointed at a staring Yoseob. The younger man smiled but did not look away.

 

 

“Should I be scared for my life?”

 

 

Dongwoon laughed, “No, Hyung-nim. Yoseob Hyung just misses you and he wants to memorize every detail of you face. That’s all.”

 

 

Hyunwoo looked terrified, “Then I should be scared for my life.”

 

 

Yoseob laughed again, followed by Dongwoon but Hyunwoo did not find anything funny. He was dead serious about it. Yoseob had that kind of serial killer mindset.

 

 

“Anyway,” Yoseob said when he had calmed down from his laughing fest, “Dongwoon is gonna treat us today! Yay! Because he ruined my phone and now he is buying us whatever we want today.” He turned around to Dongwoon, “I want my usual iced Chocolate. Thanks!”

 

 

Dongwoon grumbled, “Why am I buying? It was an accident, Hyung!”

 

 

Yoseob continued, obviously ignoring Dongwoon’s plea, “And some chocolate cake and cheese cake.”

 

 

“I thought you are on a diet?” Dongwoon asked.

 

 

Yoseob grinned cheekily, “Not today, Dongsaeng.”

 

 

Hyunwoo smirked, “I’ll go with Dongwoon to order. Iced chocolate, chocolate cake and cheese cake for you?” Yoseob nodded enthusiastically as both Hyunwoo and Dongwoon went up to the ordering counter.

 

 

When both of them were back to the table, Yoseob’s eyes widened in excitement. There were a lot of things. A lot. Hyunwoo set the iced chocolate in front of Yoseob, together with a plate of chocolate cake, cheese cake, a plate full of colorful macaroons, a warm croissant, delicious looking quiche, ham sandwich, bagel and butter, on top of a fresh glass of iced Americano for Hyunwoo and iced Macchiato for Dongwoon.

 

 

“Dongwoonah, I never consider you to be this thoughtful. This is… amazing!” Yoseob clapped his hands happily.

 

 

Dongwoon snorted as Yoseob dug in immediately. Hyunwoo stared at Yoseob affectionately, smiling at his childish behavior while sipping quietly on his iced Americano, hiding his smile behind the cup.  

 

 

“Why aren’t you wearing your mask?” Hyunwoo suddenly realized that Yoseob was sans mask today, dressed casually like himself, but Yoseob opted for black sleeveless tee shirt. “Don’t people recognize you and go crazy?”

 

 

“Nugh…” Yoseob answered with his mouth full of food, “Vrybody heh nugh meh!”

 

 

Dongwoon winced at Yoseob’s behavior, “Hyung, that is disgusting. You have better manners than that.” Hyunwoo laughed as Dongwoon passed the idol a stack of tissue papers. Yoseob swallowed his food and wiped his lips clean, “Everybody here knows me. These people are either singers or actors and their coordi noonas and crews.”

 

 

“No normal customers like me?”

 

 

Yoseob shook his head and tapped at Hyunwoo’s precious always-accurate watch, “It’s too early. Gangnam area doesn’t do early, especially on weekends, people are still hung over from last night partying. Next to this café is a salon where a lot of artists patronize, so this place is always b with artists and their crews.” Yoseob pointed to the whole café, “I know most of these people.” Dongwoon nodded at the explanation and started to recite some names for Hyunwoo’s benefit. But instead of listening to Dongwoon, Hyunwoo tuned out and turned to look at Yoseob.

 

 

Hyunwoo watched as Yoseob sipped on his iced chocolate through a straw. It was innocent, nothing was wrong about it, it was just a normal of liquid up to his mouth, but there was something decidedly decadent about it to Hyunwoo. The way  Yoseob’s lips wrapped around the transparent object, the way his cheeks hollowed slightly when he through his straw, the way Yoseob’s Adam’s Apple bobbed when he swallowed the refreshing liquid, the way –

 

 

“Ahjussi, are you okay?” Hyunwoo jerked back as Yoseob clapped in front of his face.

 

 

Dongwoon pouted, “Hyung-nim, you are not even listening to me…”

 

 

Yoseob was suddenly worried at seeing Hyunwoo’s shocked face and shook Hyunwoo roughly, “Ahjussi… you okay? You sick?”

 

 

Hyunwoo forced his mind to escape the improper thoughts featuring a very young and famous boy. He frowned, confused to where his mind had taken him without his consent. He looked at a worried Yoseob and pouting Dongwoon, and he stammered, “I – I – I… Where is Kikwangie?” He quickly steered away from the dangerous conversation topic.

 

 

Dongwoon suddenly choked on his Macchiato as he remembered his Kikwang Hyung. “! Kikwang Hyung, Kikwang Hyung. I forgot about Kikwang Hyung! Oh my god, he is going to kill me! Okay, where is my… do I have my… Okay… I’m all set… Okay…” Dongwoon mumbled to himself and scrambled to gather his things carelessly. He bowed politely to Hyunwoo before excusing himself.

 

 

Yoseob raised Dongwoon’s wallet and said boredly, “You forgot your wallet.”

 

 

Hyunwoo sipped his iced Americano as Dongwoon frowned, touching his pockets and checking his bag, “I swear I have my wallet in my pocket. I swear, Yoseob Hyung.” Dongwoon tried to prove that he was not careless.

 

 

“Yeah, yeah…” Yoseob rolled his eyes, “Go go go!”

 

 

Dongwoon grinned at Yoseob and again bowed politely to Hyunwoo, “Goodbye, Hyung-nim. I hope you guys have a good date.”

 

 

Hyunwoo sputtered his coffee out and choked, the liquid going down the wrong pipe. Yoseob laughed, throwing his head back in satisfaction at Dongwoon’s remark.

 

 

Hyunwoo wiped his mouth and glared at the maknae, “It’s not a date.”

 

 

“But when two people are together, doesn’t that mean you are dating?” Dongwoon asked openly, his eyebrows knitted in confusion. Yoseob’s laughter got louder.

 

 

Hyunwoo started to explain, “No, it doesn’t necessarily so, you see – “

 

 

Yoseob ignored Hyunwoo as he pushed Dongwoon away from the café, “Go go go! You are late. Thanks for the treats, Dongni-yah.” Yoseob winked at Dongwoon as the maknae went out of the café in a hurry.

 

 

After Dongwoon was gone, silence fell over the table as both of Hyunwoo and Yoseob stared at each other for a long time. Hyunwoo in suspicion and Yoseob in amusement. “This is not a date, right?”

 

 

Yoseob laughed, “Do you want it to be?”

 

 

Hyunwoo went quiet at the question and pursed his lips, afraid that a solid ‘Yes’ would blurt out of his mouth. A date with Yoseob did not sound so bad at all now. But instead of answering the question, he asked, “Why is Dongwoon in such a hurry?”

 

 

Yoseob the remnant of his ice chocolate from his lips – it, Hyunwoo cursed – and answered dismissively, “They are going to the amusement park for a date. And I think Dongni was supposed to be there, like… fifteen minutes ago or something.”

 

 

“A date in the amusement park?”

 

 

“Yes,” Yoseob sighed, a dreamy look in his eyes, “Don’t you think that is so romantic? Holding hands and laughing together, wearing ridiculous headbands, screaming together on roller coasters, sharing one glass of giant Coke with only one straw…”

 

 

Hyunwoo shrugged dismissively, “I don’t know. The last time I was there I puked my guts out and poured drinks all over my pants.”

 

 

“Ew, Ahjussi! You are such a mood killer. Oh my god.” Yoseob choked on laughter when Hyunwoo grinned playfully at him. The younger man asked, “When was the last time?”

 

 

Hyunwoo looked to the ceilings as he tried to remember, “Maybe… when I was twelve? Twenty years ago?”

 

 

“What!” Yoseob sputtered, “You have never brought your girlfriend to amusement parks before?”

 

 

Hyunwoo kept silent, he was not going to answer questions about his past relationships. It was not something he would want to share with the young man. Not just yet. So he changed the conversation topic, “Who is this person on the frames? It’s a he, isn’t it? Or a she?” Hyunwoo asked as he looked around the café and pointed at some frames on the wall.

 

 

Yoseob widened his eyes, “You don’t know him?”

 

 

Hyunwoo shook his head no.

 

 

Yoseob suddenly dropped his forehead to the table and sighed. He turned his head sideways to look up at Hyunwoo. “One day, I will to bring you backstage to one of my music shows and introduce you to everybody.”

 

 

Hyunwoo raised his eyebrows, not at all happy with the threat.

 

 

“Do you know JYJ sunbaenim?”                 Yoseob asked.

 

 

Hyunwoo shook his head no.

 

 

“Dong Bang Shin Ki sunbaenim?”

 

 

Again, another shake of his head.

 

 

“You are hopeless.” Yoseob murmured. He banged his forehead once before he continued, pointing at one picture frame. “That is Jaejoong Hyung. Kim Jaejoong. Google him if you want to know more.” Yoseob motioned at Hyunwoo. “He is a super famous entertainer, he sings, he acts, he dances, has a lot of talents. He is currently a member of a group called JYJ, together with his two members, Junsu Hyung and Yoochun Hyung; hence the name.”

 

 

Yoseob pointed at one of the CD who featured five young men on the cover, “The three of them used to be in a group of five called Dong Bang Shin Ki…”

 

 

“Dong Bang Shin Ki? As in the gods from the East?” Hyunwoo asked.

 

 

Yoseob nodded, “Yes, the five of them were gods. They were the original worldwide superstars, way before I was even in the entertainment industry. They were the best, still are. But they broke up due to some contract issues and stuff, and the three of them moved to another entertainment agency and created JYJ. He is a very sweet guy, very very kind and soft-hearted.”

 

 

“He’s pretty.” Hyunwoo commented absentmindedly.

 

 

“What?”

 

 

“I said he was pretty.”

 

 

Yoseob smirked naughtily and stared at Hyunwoo with mischievous glints shining in his eyes, “I didn’t know you swing that way.”

 

 

“What way?”

 

 

“That way.”

 

 

“Which that way?”

 

 

“I didn’t know you like guys. I always get this straight-as-an-arrow vibe from you.” Yoseob grinned.

 

 

“What – what – what do you mean I like guys?” Hyunwoo stammered out, suddenly nervous.

 

 

Yoseob smiled cheekily, “So you don’t like guys and you just like me?”

 

 

Hyunwoo huffed and rolled his eyes, “Come on, you are too young to flirt around. You need to go to school.”

 

 

“The better to flirt when I go to school then, with so many students and older professors I can hit on, not counting – “

 

 

“Okay, don’t go to school.” Hyunwoo cut Yoseob off.

 

 

“Don’t go to school? Because you don’t like me flirting at other people except at you? Hmmm?” Yoseob leaned in closer, a bright grin on his face.

 

 

“No, I didn’t say that. Did I say that? I didn’t mean it like that though, I thought – “

 

 

“Yoseobah, time to go to your radio schedule.” Jintaek approached the table and saved Hyunwoo from further embarrassment. Hyunwoo looked at Jintaek like the man had just saved him from a group of terrorists.

 

 

Yoseob pouted, obviously unhappy that his fun time of teasing Hyunwoo was cut short. “Isn’t it too early to go?”

 

 

Jintaek shook his head, “No, come on. You are already five minutes late.”

 

 

Yoseob leaned back onto his chair and crossed his arms in front of his body in annoyance, refusing to go.  

 

 

Hyunwoo said, “Now now, let’s be responsible adults and go to your radio schedule… thing.”

 

 

Yoseob’s pout got more pronounced and Hyunwoo briefly wondered what those lips would feel against his own. “But I’m still having so much fun teasing you.”

 

 

“That is all the more reason you should go and get away from me.”

 

 

Yoseob huffed in frustration. Hyunwoo smiled, “I’ll get the cakes wrapped up for you so you can have them on your way to the radio. Stay here.”

 

 

Yoseob had decided he would stay pouting; he was so annoyed that he should go for radio interview, he was so bored of doing all of these things, he was going to pout all day long. All day long. Yet, he smiled ever so happily when he saw Hyunwoo come back with two boxes of cakes and spoons.

 

 

<>/<>\<>/<>\<>/<>\<>/<>\<>/<>\<>/<>\<>/<>\<>

 

 

It was already too late when Yoseob knocked on the door to the guestroom in his penthouse.

 

 

“Yah, Dongni-yah, are you decent? Can you talk to me?”

 

 

There was a shuffle from the inside of the room and the door was quickly opened to reveal a decent Dongwoon.

 

 

“Of course I am, we are not bunnies like you, Hyung.” Dongwoon rolled his eyes, “Kikwang Hyung is sleeping though…”

 

 

Yoseob nodded in understanding, “Okay, then we talk outside?” Dongwoon followed Yoseob to the living room. Dongwoon and Kikwang often stayed over in Yoseob’s penthouse, just because the world famous idol was often lonely and he hated being lonely and so he coerced them into staying a night or two with him. Just for the sake of not being lonely. That was how selfish he was, but his two Dongsaengs loved him too much to even reject his request.

 

 

“What’s up, Hyung?” Dongwoon asked as he sat on the sofa, looking up to Yoseob.

 

 

Yoseob took a seat next to Dongwoon and asked him softly, afraid he would wake Kikwang up, “How much did you spend on the café this morning? I will reimburse that.”

 

 

“Huh? Why? Aren’t you forcing me to treat you stuff?” Dongwoon frowned, confused at Yoseob’s question.

 

 

Yoseob waved his hand dismissively in the air, “It was just a joke, Dongni-yah. And you ordered a lot, I mean, it would sum up to quite a bit. Come on, how much was it? I’ll pay you back.”

 

 

Dongwoon shook his head.

 

 

Yoseob asked, “You don’t remember? Okay, shall I just approximate it for you?”

 

 

Dongwoon shook his head, “No, Hyung. I did not pay a single cent. Hyung-nim paid for everything.”

 

 

“Hyung-nim?”

 

 

“Yes,” Dongwoon nodded, “Hyunwoo Hyung-nim paid for everything.”

 

 

“Oh…” It was the only word that came out of Yoseob’s mouth.

 

 

“He asked me if the guy was supposed to pay for everything on a date. I said yes. And then he suddenly insisted on paying.” Dongwoon explained innocently, still lost on the direction of the conversation.

 

 

Yoseob raised his eyebrows. And after a moment, he smiled. He smiled so brightly because Hyunwoo just paid for meals because it was a date. Yoseob laughed, thinking that Hyunwoo insisted on not calling it a date but he was paying for their meals because it was a date! He even asked Dongwoon about it. Yoseob laughed harder because Ahjussi was so adorably clueless.

 

 

“Hyung? Hyung? Are you okay?” Dongwoon asked worriedly.

 

 

Yoseob continued laughing in pure happiness and answered, “I am feeling better than all of my best days. Good night, Dongni-yah.”

 

 

Dongwoon tilted his head in confusion as he watched Yoseob bounced back to his room happily. His Hyung was officially going crazy.