Color 1

Irises Collage

 

A/N: Finally it's up!! A shorter chapter than my usual ones, but i hope this gets the mood going :) 

 

 

A sliver of smoke floated up and quickly disappeared into the cold air in the dark alley. Hyunwoo went for another , wincing when the spicy sensation permeated his mouth and throat. He was not a frequent smoker, very rarely did he succumb to the temptation of smoking, but he was grateful for the poison stick in between his fingers at the moment.

 

 

It was dark and chilly with the beginning winter wind blowing through the filthy alley. Hyunwoo was slightly cold even when he was already dressed immaculately in his dark three-piece suit and a long black wool jacket. The alleyway was packed with wooden crates and boxes – which Hyunwoo realized were branded with familiar hard liquor names – and he sat on top of one, slowly on his cigarette. He was not supposed to be there, in some dingy alley at the back of a dingier bar, but he needed this. He needed to stall for a moment, to calm himself down before going back to the Headquarter for a meeting. He needed to compose himself before seeing Yoo Gun and Soo Yeon together.

 

 

His mind traveled to Sooyeon, the love of his life, who was already engaged to Yoogun, a man Hyunwoo had always adored – a man who truly deserved Sooyeon. A bitter chuckle escaped his lips as he shook his head, going for another on his cigarette. He was ridiculous – there was no way Sooyeon would be his, not in this life, maybe not in the next, maybe not ever.   

 

 

Hyunwoo was happy for them, genuinely happy; Ji Sooyoen and Jung Yoogun were perfect for each other, childhood friends turned lovers, a perfect ending for a perfect couple, and it was clear as crystal from the start that there would never be any space for Hyunwoo in between them. It wasn’t like Hyunwoo was trying to break then up or anything, but a guy got to dream, didn’t he? It was his own fault, he knew from the start, since their training days that Sooyeon was unattainable yet he still put his heart out there for her to break. He let out a heavy sigh and focused back on his cigarette.

 

 

The tranquil atmosphere was broken with a loud bang as the metal backdoor at the end of the alley opened forcefully and two figures stumbled out from the dubious bar. There was a commotion between the two of them with hushed conversation and whispers. Hyunwoo chuckled, amused at the vulgar behavior displayed by them. He wondered what it would be like to be so liberal, to have a heck-care attitude and -the-world point of view. He wondered what it would be like to not be Seo Hyunwoo.

 

 

Honestly, Hyunwoo was trying to ignore the romping going on at the back of the alley but his trained eyes caught that something was wrong with the movements of the smaller figure, it looked almost the person was resisting – the struggling was to get away, instead of getting closer, the hushed whispers sounded a lot like threats and pleads to stop. The more Hyunwoo observed, the more obvious it looked like the smaller figure was trying to escape.

 

 

When his heroic instinct kicked in, Hyunwoo threw the almost finished cigarette onto the damp ground and stepped on it with his heel, putting out the burning . He strode quickly to the two figures at the end of the alley and when he was close enough, he heard angry yells and warnings from the smaller figure while the bigger man continued rubbing against him and laughing. The distressed man was tiny, thin with average height, a head or so shorter than Hyunwoo, while the other man was huge, almost twice Hyunwoo’s size with bulging muscles and broad shoulders.

 

 

Sick to the stomach, Hyunwoo wasted no time and grabbed the back collar of the disgusting big man away from the smaller figure. Tossing the man across the alley, Hyunwoo waited for him to stand up so that he could beat the man up properly. The muscled man was too drunk for his own good, his big posture and muscled arms were of no use when he went against Hyunwoo. Hyunwoo was fast and nimble, precise with his punches and hits – in short he was an expert in martial arts, used to beating up enemies with his bare hands. In no time at all, the man was unconscious on the dirty ground, grime and blood all over his face and body – not dead, but harmlessly unconscious. Hyunwoo shrugged, loosening his muscles; that was a good exercise to vent out his frustration.

 

 

Then he remembered that the smaller figure/person was still in the alley, probably scared out of his mind after witnessing the whole brawl. He turned around to see a young man squatting in between two wooden crates to avoid getting hit – smart, Hyunwoo mused, but only to a certain extent.

 

 

“Hey, you okay?” Hyunwoo whispered, afraid to startle the already shocked tiny man.

 

 

The young man looked up to him and nodded. His big eyes were hazy and watery (Hyunwoo was sure he was shocked as hell), his small button nose was red, his full pouty lips were swollen, and his cheeks were flushed and wet. He looked much younger than Hyunwoo, too young even.

 

 

“You alright, there?” Hyunwoo repeated again.

 

 

“Yeah…” His voice cracked a little. “I’m fine, he’s just a crazy fan, but he went out of line this time.” The young man swallowed, placing his hands on top of the wooden crates to support him getting up on his feet.

 

 

Hyunwoo raised his eyebrow, “Fan? You have fans?”

 

 

The man nodded again, “Yeah, lots of them.”

 

 

“Lots of them?” Hyunwoo frowned in confusion. “Are you like… one of those political figures? Aren’t you too young to be politically influential?”

 

 

Hyunwoo swore he was not trying to be funny, but the young man had the nerve to smile and grin and chuckle and finally cackled. Didn’t he realize Hyunwoo just saved his perky and he dared to laugh at his savior? “No, I’m not a political figure.” The young man laughed breathlessly and continued, “I’m an idol, you don’t recognize me?”

 

 

Hyunwoo narrowed his eyes, trying to identify the face in front of him. After a few seconds, he gave up and shook his head, “If you are famous, then great for you. I don’t know who you are, honestly. And what is an idol anyway? Like people idolize you?”

 

 

“Oh my God,” The young man laughed again, any sign of distress was flushed from his system. “You don’t even know what an idol is. You are precious.”  

 

 

Hyunwoo was a little offended by that, the young man just called him ‘precious’, that was not what he was. Sooyeon was precious, but not him. “Aren’t you too young to be let inside a bar? How old are you, kid?”

 

 

The young man’s mouth dropped open in disbelief, “What did you call me? Kid? ” He scoffed and cleared his throat, “Listen Ahjussi, my name is Yang Yoseob. I am the most popular singer and idol in our generation – my generation I mean, you are too old to be included in it. I have toured around the world and every soul in Korea knows who I am, so don’t mess with me.” Yoseob started to jab his forefinger on Hyunwoo’s chest with uninhibited irritation.

 

 

Yoseob had started too young in the entertainment industry. A determined boy with a heavenly voice to swoon everyone who listened to him, Yoseob sold his soul to become who he was today. He was not a bratty kid – he was not before – but people changed, so did Yoseob. His fame had come so swiftly and immediately that he lost his head in the midst of all the screaming fans, inhuman schedules, and burgeoning bank accounts. He was the icon of his generation, a singer who did not need any introduction, a man who exceeded all expectations. He was made into the current Yang Yoseob, a superstar.

 

 

“Okay…” Hyunwoo trailed off and was silent for a moment and Yoseob smirked, thinking that the older man must be shocked after digesting the news. Oh, Yoseob would never expect the next question.  

 

 

“Are you wearing make up?” Hyunwoo freaked out a little. The guy was wearing make up; it was just… absolutely strange and abnormal. This guy wore make up.

 

 

Yoseob was thrown back a little at the strange question; the Ahjussi did not even blink on his grand introduction. He looked up and reached a hand up to wipe below his eyes, when his finger was stained with black, he cursed. His eyeliner and mascara were running, and he hated how he looked when his eyeliner smudged.

 

 

“Anyway, I need to run,” Hyunwoo said, looking at his always-accurate watch. “Are you sure you okay? I can get some paramedics to take a look at you.”

 

 

Yoseob shook his head, frowning in annoyance. This guy was immune to his charm and did not even know who he was; it piqued Yoseob’s curiosity to the maximum, “What’s your name, Ahjussi? What do you do?” He examined Hyunwoo’s pressed suits, looking at the flawlessly put together outfit, observing the immaculate and expensive suits, watch and shoes while the older man was totally oblivious to everything.

 

 

Hyunwoo started to back away and walked to where his car was parked, at the mouth of the alleyway. He turned to answer the question and smiled, “I need to kill you if I tell you.” He grinned and hold up his hand as a goodbye wave to Yoseob, “Take care, kid.”

 

 

Yoseob stood frozen on his spot, even after the car revved up and drove away. Someone in South Korea did not know him, it was as shocking as it was startlingly refreshing. Being constantly sough after was tiring, it was exciting at first but it turned boring pretty quickly. He tilted his head slightly to the side, a mischievous laughter echoed in the empty alleyway.

 

 

Faintly, he heard someone calling for him from inside the dingy bar. He sighed, must be one of his managers or bodyguards. He looked down to see the bleeding man lay unconscious on the dirty ground and shivered, feeling totally exposed without the Ahjussi to beat the crap out of people. Yoseob jumped over the man and shuffled to enter the bar’s backdoor quickly before anymore trouble ensued.

 

 

He did not forget to kick the side of the man’s stomach in disgust.