Appa And Eomma

Black, White & Red

Alix’s POV

 

I sat watching the new boy carefully, my eyes trained on the back of his head. There was something seriously off about that boy, but I couldn’t place it and that was bugging the crap out of me. I felt the urge to protect Li An since she was so useless at doing it herself, and this boy seemed like a threat to me. If I could I’d melt him in his seat. As it was, I was seriously contemplating throwing him out the window - few broken bones ought to keep him away for a while.

“Hello? Earth to Alix~” I jerked back as a large hand was waved in front of my face, blinking in an attempt to focus.

“Personal space Chanyeol - we’ve talked about this,” I scolded him, feeling less like his girlfriend and more like his mother at the present minute.

“Yeah, yeah,” he laughed, finally removing his hand. “You don’t like things being shoved in your face.”

“You know it, yet you do it anyway. Tell me again why I’m going out with you?” I asked, turning to face him and consequently blocking out whatever the teacher was showing on the board; this was music and today we were composing - I’d catch up easily enough. I was a sophomore in the senior class (so were Li An and Baekhyun) - that had to count for something.

“Because you luuurve me~” he sang happily, taking my hand and playing with my fingers. I just rolled my eyes.

“You make me doubt it sometimes. And what have I said about singing?” He blinked and looked up.

“My voice is too deep and it’s creepy?” he suggested, looking oddly hopeful to be right.

“Again, your memory is not what fails you, but your ability to think before you act.”

“Sorry yeobo - I’ll make it up to you?” I couldn’t help but smile at the name and his attempts to ‘fix’ something I could honestly not care less about but had the habit of picking at.

“I know you will. You always do.” I leaned over and placed a small peck on his lips.

“Miss Adair,” the teacher called out, causing us both to look up. “You think the student body president would try to lead by a better example.”

“Huh, I dunno - I hardly think showing affection is a ‘bad example’. Expression is important. And it’s not like we’re shagging on the desk or anything.” I felt Chanyeol freeze next to me and saw the teacher’s eyes widen - okay, so maybe that was a little far, but I’ve never been good at keeping words in.

“I wasn’t simply referring to you and Mr Park! I was referring to your clear disrespect for the school’s dress code and blatant disregard for my teaching!” he clarified.

“My clothes are fine - it’s bright, not insensible, and it’s not like we have a uniform. If you’re ‘referring’ to my hair and the fact it’s blue, or my piercings that you have stated an apparent dislike towards since the start of the year - creativity should be encouraged and, again, expression is important.” By this point, he looked like he may explode. I continued anyway - “And besides, I was paying attention.”

He gave me a smug look of scepticism, “Oh really? Please give me one of the basic chord progressions for a piece of pop music in the key of G major.”

“G, D, E minor, C.” I stated simply. I watched the teacher’s eye twitch in disbelief at my correct answer, before he turned back to the board. I turned back to Chanyeol.

“Well... I’m not sure how I avoided detention there.” Chanyeol just shook his head at me.

“And you say I should think before I speak! It’s a wonder how you became student body president in the first place!”

“That’s exactly why she became student body president!” a voice exclaimed from behind us. “She’s not afraid to stand up against the school for what he believes in.”

I nodded appreciatively at the boy, “Thank you Kyungsoo.” His eyes widened almost comically.

“You- You know my name?” I almost laughed - sometimes, I felt like a celebrity at this hole of a school.

“‘Course I do - you’re Liji’s new man, right?”  Chanyeol’s ears seemed to perk up at this.

“Seriously? Liji got herself a boyfriend?” he asked, mock shocked. I hit him half-seriously.

“Shut up Channie - she wouldn’t have stayed a baby forever, no matter how much you wanted her to. And you wonder why Li An calls you ‘appa’.” I turned my attention from my now blushing boyfriend back to the equally blushing Kyungsoo. “So, you and Liji, eh?”

“Y-Yeah,” he stuttered, smiling shyly. “I didn’t think she’d have told you about me...”

“Nah - I’m her ‘eomma’ supposedly so I have to approve of who she dates.” I stated casually, amusedly watching him squirm at the new piece of information.

“Oh... So... Do you approve of me?”

“You’re still breathing, aren’t you? ‘Course I do Kyung - you’re a good guy. Just don’t her about or you’ll have me to deal with, got it?”

“Got it,” he nodded quickly.

“Don’t look so anxious about it - I gave Baekhyun the same speech when he started going out with Li An a couple of years back, and honestly; I like you a lot better than I liked him back then and he’s not messed up. You’ll do fine - I’m happy for the two of you.”

“Thank you,” he replied, smiling - even if it was a slightly worried smile.

“Wait, wait, wait,” Chanyeol interjected. “Don’t I get a say in this?”

I quirked an eyebrow, “Why would you?”

“Because! If you’re Liji’s eomma then I’m her appa - shouldn’t I have to approve as well?”

“You would, but you always refute being ‘appa’ so your vote no longer counts. Sorry bout that.” He looked like he was about to argue, but at that moment Liji herself entered the classroom.

“You’re late,” the teacher stated.

“Dentist sir,” Liji replied, before taking a seat next to Kyungsoo. “Yah, appa, stop harassing my boyfriend,” she stated, leaning across the desk to kiss said boyfriend on the cheek. Chanyeol spluttered and gagged as Liji laughed and Kyungsoo slowly turned into a tomato before us. I rolled my eyes and turned my attention back to boring holes into the boy from the club last night. I smirked when he flinched slightly - I’d been told my glare could be physically painful.

 

 

Talk to the characters on ask.fm~