Black Smoke

Black, White & Red

Alix’s POV

 

 

Of all the places I expected Kai to take me, I did not expect this.

As of ten minutes ago, we’d been browsing through the material walls of a vintage clothes shop. Hell, I didn’t even know this place existed.

“Found anything you like?” Kai asked from somewhere behind a mountain of shirts.

“I wasn’t aware I was supposed to be looking,” I replied, casually flipping through a few jackets. There was actually some really nice stuff in here...

“Of course you are,” he scoffed. “What else would we be doing?”

“Have you found anything you like?” I threw back at him.

“Well, no I-”

“Point proven,” I concluded. I couldn’t help but smirk when he scowled yet didn’t protest. What can I say? I like winning. We browsed separately for a while, before he approached me holding up a shirt.

“What do you think of this?”

I looked it over - it was long-sleeved, beautifully tailored, and buttoned down the front, each button outlined by delicate embroidery. There was only one problem - it was the colour of puke.

“It’s nice,” I began. “But the colour...”

“I was going to dye it black.”

The relief flooding me was instant, and it clearly showed on my face because he gave me a look that said ‘Really? Do you think I’m blind? Of course I can see the colour is terrible.’

“Good,” I replied, smiling brightly. “Then you should definitely get it. Does it fit?”

“I dunno, lemme check...” And just like that, relief turned to horror as he began to take off his shirt in the middle of the shop.

“...Kai, what the hell are you doing?”

“What?” he asked, his voice muffled in the material. “Does this bother you?” I could hear the taunt in his voice: he was baiting me. Too bad he was dueling with Queen Awkward Situations herself - nothing embarrassed me.

“No,” I answered casually. “But I think the owner is about to kick you out.” As if on cue, a shop assistant appeared beside him and ushered us out. However, not until after he somehow managed to convince the staff to let him buy the shirt. I don’t even...

“So,” I sighed, swinging my arms as we walked in the vague direction of the school. “Want to tell me what that was all about?”

“I don’t like changing rooms,” he retorted without the slightest hint of believability.

“Uh huh, sure. Now tell me, really.”

“...I wanted to make you uncomfortable.” His voice was eerily quiet as he said this, but I heard him.

“Why’s that?” I questioned, suddenly realising we’d come to a stop in the middle of a deserted side street and feeling slightly on edge for it.

“Because you make me uncomfortable.”

This surprised me - I did? Really? Huh, here I thought I was the only one feeling off.

“And why’s that?” I continued to probe, but instead of answering me he just stared at me blankly. O-Kaaayy. I was beginning to get seriously unsettled here.

“What are you to Li An?” he asked suddenly, shocking me into answering.

“I’m her best friend, why?” He ignored my question and continued his interrogation.

“Why are you her best friend - you’re nothing alike.”

“I just am. We get on. What about you and Sehun? I assume you're friends - are you anything alike?” Still, he neglected to answer me.

“What about Sehun?” he enquired, greatly confusing me.

“What?”

“What about Sehun? What are you to him?”

“Dude, I just met the guy the other day - I doubt I’m anything to him.”

“What’s he to you then?”

“Listen, I-”

“You were following him,” he stated, his eyes boring into min. It wasn’t a question.

“Yeah, so?”

“Isn’t that kind of weird?”

“Not as weird as you interrogating me right now,” I snapped back, growing increasingly wary.

“But why? I saw you today.” He sounded genuinely confused at this.

“You were there too - I saw you,” I replied, just as confused as he was.

“Yes, but Sehun asked me to watch.” Okay, what? That’s really creepy Sehun. Like, really. Who the hell asks their friend to watch as he hits on some innocent girl? ing ert.

“Well, that’s probably the weirdest thing so far,” I told him flatly.

“As weird as you following them without being asked?”

“I didn’t follow them - I happened upon it returning from the bathroom.”

“Oh really? Then why did you stay to watch?”

“Because Sehun was bloody well ing on my best friend who has a boyfriend. Who the are you people, seriously?!” I yelled back. I’d lost it now - he was seriously creeping me out and I wanted none of it. Kai stared at me for a while, clearly shocked at my reaction. Eventually, I calmed down enough to speak again.

“You said you wanted to make me uncomfortable?” I breathed. “Well, congratulations - you’ve succeeded. Be seeing you.” With this I spun around and began to rush towards the school. If I’d thought this kid was dangerous before then I had no idea what to make of him now. I just wanted away, but he didn’t seem to share my wishes.

“Alix, wait!” he called after me, but I only sped up. He ended up jogging to catch me - I briefly debated running away, but I decided against it as I was pretty sure he would catch me anyway so it’d make more sense for me to save my energy in case I had to sock him one.

“I’m sorry,” he told me, in what sounded like sincerity. “I didn’t mean to scare you.”

“Just make me uncomfortable?”

“Yeah.”

We stood like that for a while, silence dead in the air around us. Eventually, without a word spoken between us, we both turned and continued to walk towards the school. The whole time I was excruciatingly aware of his presence. I wanted away and I wanted Chanyeol. I almost sighed in relief when we got to the school and I saw him waiting for me. I gave him a wave and he waved back, confusion apparent as he eyed Kai by my side warily. I would explain later - no lies, because I was shaken and needed to talk about it. But right now, all I wanted was some comfort, and I would take that in the form of my giant teddy bear of a boyfriend.

“Hey,” I spoke quietly when I reached him, watching Kai pass us from my peripheral vision - we still hadn’t spoken since I’d tried to leave. “I’ll explain everything later, I promise, but right now can we just... Can we go home?”

Chanyeol, clearly distressed by the hitch in my voice, nodded instantly. He put a strong arm around me as he guided me to his car, and I was aware that he was glaring daggers into Kai’s back the entire time. But I couldn’t care - I was suddenly exhausted. We reached his car and I sat in the passenger side, my eyes never leaving my hands.

Looking back on it, I should have looked up. Because then I would have not only seen Kai watching us with a calculating stare, but Baekhyun too. I would have seen Sehun approach Kai and them exchanged a hushed word. But, most importantly, I would have seen Li An begin the long walk to her home. Alone. I would have seen Baekhyun watch her go, and I would have seen Sehun leave to follow her.

What I did see, however, as I glanced up just as Chanyeol was leaving the car park, was Kai disappear into a wisp of black smoke.

 

 

 

 

Talk to the characters on ask.fm~