To Reach An Understanding

Black, White & Red

 

 

 

Alix’s POV

 

Things progressed more calmly as I secured Jongin and Sehun’s faith in me and my companions – they were be the ones to secure my safety when I ‘provoked Li An’, as we couldn’t have her suspecting Sehun or Jongin to know anything about what she was surely experiencing (Sehun had eventually informed me of the visions). Yet it was clear Sehun still did not fully trust me, and we were running out of time. Yixing, Jiaheng and I discussed solutions to this and we decided that a direct approach would be too obvious, but if we could convince him I cared for Jongin then maybe he could be assured my loyalties lay with them that way. So I spent my evenings hunting and talking with them both, then my nights curled around Jongin in our bed to rest. Sehun had quirked an eyebrow at my offer for them to both stay here with me, but he’d agreed as it’s easier to live with those who know what you are. I gave him his own room, and Jongin stayed with me. During those nights I’d whisper stories of my past in Jongin’s ear, knowing he told most to Sehun unless I requested he keep them secret. I rarely did that, but whenever I did his eyes would light up in parallel to the guilt welling in my chest. I was trying to befriend them; befriend Sehun. I had honestly thought it was working.

“Oh my God, Yixing shut up! That’s awful!” I could hardly control my laughter at the vulgar gestures he was making to accompany his story.

“You asked!”

“I didn’t expect you to go into such detail! I swear, one day I’ll tell you just exactly how I like my-”

“Alix...” The name left his lips without my realising he was even there. My head snapped up instantly; the laugh on my lips dying at the sight of him. The atmosphere around us grew quickly heavy; weighted with my abandonment and the betrayal of the two vampyrs behind him.

“Alix.” His voice was stronger then, and my gaze flickered once more to Jongin and Sehun before locking with his. I didn’t know what they expected me to do after bringing him here; what they wanted, but I wasn’t about to let them ruin this for me. No matter how furious I was at them involving him anymore than he needed to be. I watched him reach into his jacket pocket – by the Gods that’s the same jacket – and pull out my note.

 

I’m sorry.

 

It wasn’t enough. I don’t know how I could have ever thought it would have been. He deserved more than that – an explanation. I wanted to give him one. I couldn’t though, not without risking everything.

“Alix.”

His voice was quiet again; I could see panic in his eyes, and it infuriated me. I didn’t want it to be there.

“Alix.”

And then desperate. I wondered how many times he would say my name, and focused my mind on this to avoid any deeper, more damaging thoughts. I stood from my seat, knowing Yixing’s eyes were boring into my back and Jongin and Sehun were studying my every more. I didn’t care.

“Alix.”

A chocked sob. I let him work through his emotions, moving towards him quietly so as not to disrupt him. He deserved this, at least. When he was still and quiet again I reached out to him.

“Chanyeol.”

Yet I never reached him. He jerked away, and my fingers were left frozen where his head had been. I watched him try to hold back tears, and did a better job of it myself.

“I’m sorry,” I whispered.

“I know,” he breathed back.

The moment lingered, and then he was gone – rushing past Jongin and Sehun. Jongin appeared confused, but catching Sehun’s eye I saw a sense of satisfaction I wanted to destroy. I gritted my teeth and clenched my fists at my side, waiting to hear that Chanyeol had truly left. The sound of a car engine broke the silence. I snarled.

“What the do you two think you’re playing at bringing him here?!”

“We needed to test you.” - Sehun.

Test me?!

“To see if we can trust you to tell the truth,” he continued.

“You clearly do care about him...” Jongin added.

“No ing , I told you that Kai.”

He winced at the use of his alias, but I couldn’t care less about hurting his feelings at that point. I Sehun once more.

“You can’t just go bringing humans here – do you know how dangerous that is?!”

“What, that he could have ended up as someone’s lunch? Like that time you snacked on him?”

I don’t know how to describe my expression as I stared at Sehun then. It was probably a mixture of shock, shame, and furious anger.

“Say that again.” I dared him. To my credit, he took an alarmed step back. “I may not want to make an enemy of my brother Oh Sehun but I am perfectly fine making one of you, and let it be known I could destroy you.

He considered me for a while then, before bowing his head in acceptance: “I believe you.”

And wasn’t that ironically easy?

“Your motives concerned me Alix – as did your sudden affection for Kai – but you have proved to me now your loyalties are as strong as you claim, and I can only assume that family ties hold even deeper. You are a woman of honour,” he tried to placate.

“And you, Sehun, are a smug brat who better watch who he pisses off, because his clever tongue can only get him out of so much.” I spat back, forcing myself to take a calming breath. “Still, I am glad we finally understand one another.”

“I too am glad of this.”

“Good. Now, will you let me see her?”

“I’ll bring her to you tomorrow evening.”

“Thank you.”

 

*

 

When Sehun brought Li An to me the next night, Yixing and Jiaheng targeted Kai and Sehun respectively so I could keep my sights on Li An. The gun was at the back of her head before she had even noticed me move.  

 

 

 

 


[ A/N: Yeah, I know it's been forever since I've updated and I'm really sorry, but I've just recently started university as well as moving out of my parents' house and my hometown to live by myself, so I've been trying to find my footing and balance out this new life o' mine~ Plus, after all this with EXO I wanted to take a wee breather. Anyway, that's me back~ So sorry for keeping you all waiting, and thank you for your patience! Hope you enjoy the chapter~ ^^
- Alix xxx ]