Chapter 8 - Misleading Gestures

Under the Cherry Blossoms

Kate

                I rose from my bed and saw Andrew sleeping on the couch inside my room. I guess he must’ve been tired from taking care of me and all. I was a bit embarrassed ‘cause he even cooked for me though I knew that they never let him cook. I was also surprised that he’s acting kind to me ever since the time I gave him back his coat. I didn’t know if he was acting this now or if he’s really worried that I was sick but I still appreciate it.

                I walked near him and noticed that he was holding something. It looked like he was memorizing his lines from the script. I just hoped I hadn’t caused him too much trouble. I stared at him for moment. His face is really perfection. No wonder his face is found on almost all covers of billboards and magazines. I shook my head to brush away those thoughts of mine.

                Suddenly, I let out a cough. This startled him waking him up. I straightened myself up and pretended to be looking at another direction (and not on his face). He stood up and was a bit surprised when he saw me standing near him. “Kate-ssi, how are you feeling?” he asked.

                “Uh… I’m a lot better now. Komawayo Andrew-ssi,” I said, smiling.

                He flashed a smile. Then, he looked at the time on his watch. “Omo! I’m late,” he said, heading towards the door.

                “Late for what?” I asked.

                He looked back at me. “For my shooting.”

                “Mianhe (Sorry),” I mumbled.

                Then, he walked back towards me. I gulped. He placed his hand on my head and patted it. “I’ll leave you here for a while. Will you be okay?”

                “N… ne(Yeah),” I stammered.

                He smiled AGAIN. Then, he left. I sighed deeply. Did I just imagine that or did that really happen? Aigoo! Why did I feel like something struck me? I shook my head again. “That was nothing, Kate,” I told myself.

I was about to go out of the room when suddenly, my phone rang. I saw Jessica’s number then picked it up. “Kate-ssi!” she blurted out.

“Jessica, why did you call?” I asked.

“I was worried ‘cause you didn’t come to class today,” she said. “I heard Aiden oppa talking to Marcus about how you became sick. Are you alright now?”

“Ne. Thanks for your concern Jess,” I said.

“By the way Kate, don’t forget the sketch that I was asking of you,” she said.

Oh yeah! I almost forgot about that. “What did you want me to draw again?”

“Cherry Blossoms,” she said excitedly.

“Ah… ne,” I said.

“Kamsahamnida (Thank you) Kate-ssi. Get well soon,” she said, hanging up.

I proceeded to my working table and started to sketch the cherry blossoms. I hoped I could draw it better this time. I concentrated on the picture in my mind – the one that often comes in my dreams. I did this for almost an hour until I came up with something presentable. I hadn’t realized that it gotten late already so I went back to bed after that.

∞∞∞

                The next day, I woke up with a smile on my face after receiving a text message from Andrew saying: “Good morning Kate-ssi! Mr. Yoo will pick you up later and drive you to school. Hope you’re feeling better now.” Though I said that I’d just take a cab, he still insisted. Ah! He shouldn’t be showing me his kindness ‘cause I might get used to it.

Minutes later, the driver showed up and dropped me off to school. I walked down the hallways of our building. I stopped at my locker to get my books. Suddenly, I heard squeals and giggles from those few girls in the hallway. I closed my locker and looked at them. What were they fussing about?

Then, three personas appeared in front of my eyes. The screams and giggles grew louder. I stared at those three approaching. The one on the left is a stranger to me. I didn’t know his name but I often see him walking around the campus. His eyes were small like a typical Korean and his messy black hair suits his whole rocker look. On the right, I saw a familiar face. His side-swept bangs covered his forehead and his eyes were too mesmerizing. When he saw me, he smiled. “Kate-ssi,” he called out.

I was shocked. The girls shot me looks that were about to kill. Why did he have to call my name? Why? We’re not even that close. In fact, we only spoke just yesterday. What is wrong in this world? Suddenly, I noticed the one in the middle as they came nearer. His eyes, his hair, his whole face… I could almost sketch it without looking at him. His face was blunt as he glanced at me.

“Kate-ssi, are you alright now?” Aiden asked, walking near me and leaving the two behind him.

I nodded. I was still looking at the Prince who was standing a few feet away from me. He was not smiling nor looking. He was just acting like he didn’t know after what happened the other night. I don’t understand him.

“That’s great then,” Aiden said.

Suddenly, the Prince called Aiden out. “Aiden-ah, will you be staying here? We’ll leave you now,” he said, as he turned his back together with the other guy.

“Chagamman (Wait)!” Aiden yelled at them. He turned to me. “I’ll get going then.”

“Ne,” I just said, as I watched them walked away. After that, someone startled me from behind. “Omo!” I blurted.

Jessica laughed. “Kate-ssi!”

“Jessica, why did you scare me like that?”

“Mianhe-yo,” she said, bowing her head. “I was just really happy to see you.”

I smiled. “Me too.”

“So, did you make it?” she asked, pertaining to the sketch.

“Of course,” I said, bringing out the sketch inside my satchel bag.

She opened it and smiled after seeing it. “It’s beautiful. Komawayo Kate-ssi,” she said.

“Aniyo (It’s nothing),” I told her.

∞∞∞

Marcus

                During our class in History, our Professor asked us to bring out the things that can lighten up our mood whenever we’re down. I brought out my camera which was bought just yesterday with a new film after that Kate girl ruined it. I glanced at Aiden who was sitting right in front of me. He was holding a rose. Jincha! This guy is really weird. Why did he bring a rose?

                Suddenly, something caught my attention. Beside Aiden, Jessica was holding a piece of paper with a sketch on it. “Cherry Blossoms,” I mumbled.

                Jessica turned to face me. “Ne oppa. You like it?” she asked.

                Where did she get that sketch? I looked closer at it. It really looked like the ones that I saw in the park. Could it be that it was the same person who made it? “Jessica, can I borrow that?” I asked her.

                She nodded smiling. I got hold of it and examined it. It was really very identical to the cherry blossoms sketch I saw in the park. I decided to ask her. “Where did you get this?”

                “Huh?” she seemed lost.

                “I said, who did this?”

                “Ah, I drew it oppa,” she said.

                She drew it? I didn’t know that Jessica has skills in sketching. Or maybe I was just not really interested looking at her works? Then, at the bottom of the sketch, I saw the initial K again. “K?”

                “Ne oppa. It stands for Kim. Jessica Kim,” she explained.

I was dumbfounded after hearing that. Was it Jessica all along? The one who drew the two sketches that I kept? The one who was bothering my mind lately?

I came back to my senses when I felt Aiden’s hand on my shoulder. “Marcus-ssi, what’s the matter?” he asked.

“A…ani (Nothing). I’m fine,” I just said, still fixated at Jessica’s sketch which was now back on her hands.

“Aish! Marcus, I know that something’s up. Marebwa (Tell me),” Aiden insisted.              

I looked at him then turned to Jessica. He shot me a confused look. “What are you trying to tell me?” he asked.

“Look at the sketch she’s holding,” I said to him.

Aiden focused his eyes on the sketch. Then, his eyes widened after recognizing it. “Omo! It’s her?” he exclaimed.

I shot him a look to silence him. “It’s really her.”

“You really think it’s her?” he asked, frowning.

 “Who else could it be? Aiden-ah, she’s holding the sketch,” I said pointing it out to him.

“Then, why don’t you invite her in the exhibit?”

Suddenly, our Professor called Aiden’s attention. “Mr. Lee, what is your problem? If you want to talk, better go out.”

“Mianheyo,” he said, bowing his head.

 

∞∞∞

 

 

A/N: Now let me know who you want better? Marcus or Andrew? Leave your comments below :) There are lots of space for your opinions. Speak your mind!

ThanKYU for keeping up with my story :)

*Also, thanks for my new reader octa82_ichigo :)

 

-theLEXical-