Chapter 27 - The Last Time

Under the Cherry Blossoms

Kate

                I sat awkwardly on the couch as I waited for Andrew to get something from the kitchen. I scanned the area and quickly saw a picture of him and Steph on one corner of the living room.

Honestly, I came here in their apartment with a lot of anxiety. It has been a week since Alex oppa’s birthday and the break-up of Andrew and Steph. He’s been trying so hard to absorb everything and I just couldn’t stand on one side looking at him without helping him. I didn’t want to let Andrew feel alone this time.

                After a few minutes, Andrew came back with a cup of coffee. He placed it down on the table. “Kate, sorry if I had to bother you again,” he said, taking a seat across from mine.

                “It’s okay Andrew,” I said, as I took the cup of coffee and tried to sip it. “Oh, it’s hot!” I said quickly taking the cup down.

                A smile formed on his lips. “Be careful,” he said.

                “I’m glad you’re smiling again,” I said, beaming.

                “Yeah. It’s because you’re here,” he said bluntly.

                I was speechless for a moment. “Ah… y-yeah. So you really owe me big time,” I said, trying to ignore the awkward feeling inside me.

                “Yeah. I know that, Kate,” he said, standing up. “So, what are we gonna do today?”

                “Uh… let’s see… we’ve been food tripping the past days so how about…” I paused. “…we go food tripping again?” I asked teasingly.

                “Ah! You never get tired of food, huh?” he asked, crossing his arms.

                “As long as you pay for it, yeah,” I said, nodding and smiling at the same time.

                “Alright!” he said, clapping his hands. “Let’s go then.”

 

                After reaching a coffee shop called MoBit, Andrew pulled the car to a stop. I stared at the signage before looking at Andrew. “Coffee shop? Again?” I asked him.

                “Why? You barely sipped your coffee earlier,” he said.

                “Aye! Of course… it was hot. Why can’t we just go to a pizza parlor this time?” I asked, pouting. “But anyway, it’s your treat so…” I paused, shrugging.

                “You wanna eat pizza?” he asked, looking at me.

I shook my head. “No. Never mind. Let’s go in!” I said, grabbing his hand.

                We found a vacant table and ordered 2 ice coffees, paninis and pancakes. As we waited for our order to come up, I glanced at Andrew who was staring in space yet again. I cleared my throat catching his attention. “Kwaenchana?” he asked me.

                I shook my head. “I should be asking you that same question, Drew,” I said.

                “W-waeyo?” he asked.

                “Are you sure you don’t wanna talk to Steph anymore?” I asked in a serious tone.

                He stopped and stared at me. “Kate, I told you I don’t wanna hear her name again,” he said.

                “Andrew, I don’t think you’d ever move on if you keep on pretending that everything’s alright,” I said.

                “Kate…” he mumbled, looking down. “I know but… I just couldn’t seem to figure out what to do next on my life. If not only for your presence… I think I could’ve… I could’ve thought of killing myself already,” he said.

                “Andrew, please don’t say that,” I said looking at him worriedly.

                He looked up again and held both my hands. I trembled not knowing what to do. “Kate, please say you’ll stay beside me whatever happens,” he said.

                “I… I would never leave you Andrew,” I said. “I promise.”

                He smiled again. “Thank you Kate. I don’t know what I will do without you.”

 

Marcus

                “Aiden, you’ve only been there for how many days and you’re saying you want to come back here again?” I asked over the phone as I sorted the photos on my desk. I was busy the past few days trying to organize everything for the exhibit. The deadline is fast approaching and I couldn’t afford to fail this time.

                “Wae? Don’t you miss me?” he asked, laughing.

                “Anie. Why would we?” I said, teasing him.

                “And who told you I missed you back? There’s only one person that I miss there,” he said, turning into a serious tone.

                “Kate?” I asked, as I picked up a photo of her from the pile. I kind of missed her as well. I’ve never seen her ever since Alex hyung’s birthday. I wondered what she’s been up to.

                “Ne. How is she? Have you been looking after her like what I told you?” he asked.

                “Oh… ne. Of course,” I said.

                “That’s good then. How’s the exhibit going?”

                “I hope it’d be a success this time,” I said.

                “I’m sure it will since Kate’s artworks will be there as well,” he said.

                “Yeah. Yeah. It’s all about her again,” I said.

                He laughed. “Of course you’ve done a pretty good job too Marcus.”

                “Alright. I’ll take that as a compliment,” I answered.

                “I’ll go ahead now then. Just say hi to Max and Vince for me and Kate as well. Goodluck on the exhibit,” he said.

                “Arasso. Komawo. Bye,” I said, hanging up.

                After that, I heard a knock from my door. “Come in,” I said, as the door opened. Secretary Ho came in with folders in his hands.

“Prince Marcus, I’m sorry to bother you,” he said, bowing his head. “Here are some documents you need to review before going to Thailand.”

                He handed me the folders. “Secretary Ho, when will I go there again?” I asked him, flipping one of the folders.

                “Tomorrow your Highness,” he answered.

                “Aguissemida,” I said. “Is there anything else?”

                “That’s all,” he said.

                I nodded.

                He bowed again before me then he proceeded to the door. I continued to scan the folders. There were still a lot to review. The exhibit was still on the process but I needed to take a leave from all the preparation for a week to fulfill my duties as a prince.

I sighed. I glanced over at my working table and saw the sketches of Kate pinned on the board. I remembered the time she told me how much she wanted to see the cherry blossoms. Too bad she still hadn’t seen them. If only I could do something to let her see them when they bloom…

 

Andrew

                Kate and I sat face to face on the table inside the coffee shop. I watched her as she enjoyed eating her pancakes and paninis. “Masita!” she mumbled. I looked at her wide-eyed after hearing her say that. “Waeyo?” she asked mouth full.

                “Where did you learn that?” I asked her.

                “Learn what?” she asked, still eating.

                “Masita!” I said.

                “Ah! That! Well, I heard Marcus once said that,” she said, smiling.

                I nodded. “So you’re really close to him?” I asked curiously.

                “No… I mean… I don’t think he even considers me as his friend,” she said.

                “But you do?” I asked again.

                “Of course…” she paused, staring blankly on one corner. “I owe him a lot…” she said, smiling to herself. “And, he doesn’t last a day without teasing me or making bad comments when I’m around.”

                “Don’t you think he…” I stopped, catching myself.

                “He what?” she asked.

                “Likes you…?” I almost wanted to ask. But I controlled myself from speaking. “Nothing,” I just said.

                Suddenly, two girls came approaching our table. Kate and I looked at them confused. “Ah, excuse me… you’re Andrew Choi right? Can we… take photos with you?” one of the girls said, giggling.

                I glanced at Kate. She lifted her chin and motioned me to stand up so I did. “Ah… ne,” I said, as the girls started to take turns having their pictures with me.

                Then, I heard a ring coming from Kate’s phone. She brought out her phone and answered it. “Excuse me…” she said, turning to me and the girls. I nodded then she stood up and stepped out of the coffee shop.

                The girls, who turned out to be my fans suddenly looked at me smiling. “Ah… I’m sorry but we’re just wondering… is she your girlfriend?” one of them asked.

                I stopped. “Oh a-anieyo,” I said, shaking my head. “She’s just a good friend of mine.”

                They both nodded. “We thought she’s the girl that you’ve been waiting for from the States,” she said. “Uh… sorry again and thank you for entertaining us.”

                They bowed before me and I did the same. Then, they both walked away from our table. I glanced outside and looked at Kate who was still on the phone. I wondered who was calling her this time.

 

Kate

                “Marcus? Why are you suddenly calling?” I asked, as I stepped out of the coffee shop.

                “Suddenly? Why? Have you forgotten about the exhibit already?” he asked over the phone with a dictatorial tone.

                “How will I forget about that?” I asked back. “Are you gonna ask me to do another portrait or something?”

                “A-anie… but if you insist… then, how can I say no? I could always use your work in the next exhibit,” he said. I could almost picture him smirking at me on my mind.

                I sighed. “I don’t know why you’re calling me right now so… if you don’t have anything important to tell me then I might as well hang up now,” I said getting impatient.

                “Aish! Ya Kate-ssi! I just wanna tell you that I’m going to Thailand this week so if you have any questions about the exhibit… just give me a call,” he said.

                “Arasso,” I said. “Is that it?”

                “Ah… and Aiden wanted me to tell you that he said hi,” he said.

                “He called you?” I asked.

                “Ne.”

                “He could’ve just called me instead,” I said, sighing.

                “Why? You missed him?” he asked teasing again.

                “Well yeah… why? You don’t? You’re even his bestfriend yet you don’t miss him?” I said.

                “Did I say I don’t?” he asked, sounding irritated.

                “I’ll hang up now if you don’t have anything else to say, your Highness,” I said.

                “I told you not to call me that,” he said yelling again.

                “Bye,” I said, hanging up.

                I was about to open the door to go back in when suddenly, someone stopped me. I turned around and I almost fainted when I saw Steph infront of me. “Kate, we need to talk,” she said to me.

                I was taken aback for a while. “Ah… i…” I stopped when she spoke again.

                “It’s about Andrew. I just wanna ask you… do you… happen to like him?” she asked.

                I didn’t answer her. She was staring at me waiting for my response. But I didn’t know how to answer her. If I said yes, what would she do?

                “So I guess you like him huh?” she asked again.

                “Steph… it’s not what you think,” I said.

                She sighed. “Whatever you say won’t make the situation any better,” she said, shaking her head.

                Suddenly, I heard a familiar voice speak behind us. “Steph, why are you here?” Andrew asked her.

                “I hope you’re both happy together now,” she said.

                “Steph, don’t bother Kate ever again,” he said in a firm tone.

                “Don’t worry. This will be the last time. Goodbye Andrew,” she said, turning her back from us.

∞∞∞

A/N: Hey guys! I am very thankful for all of you who keep on supporting this story of mine. It may sound mushy but you’re all my strength really in writing this :)

And I know that I’ve been updating really slow. Sorry about that. It just so happened that I was appointed as the new editor-in-chief of our college paper so a lot has been going on in my mind (from creating and organizing articles and stuff) so I couldn’t seem to concentrate writing this. Aside from that, we have exams everyday with both major and minor subjects (I’m not even kidding) so please just bear with me. Hope you still keep on supporting though. :) Thanks! Love you guys!

-theLEXical-