Chapter 26 - Clueless

Under the Cherry Blossoms

Andrew

                “So… what you said last night… was that true?” I asked Kate trying to confirm what I heard. Though I was already so sure that I heard it all right, I still wanted to hear it from her.

                She fell silent. Just then, I saw a familiar figure coming towards our direction. It was Steph. What was she doing here? She grabbed Kate’s hand and pulled it away from me. “Steph, what are you doing here?” I asked her.

                “Trying to know the truth once and for all,” she said. “But I guess I already know the answer.”

                “Steph, not now, not here. Please… this is Alex hyung’s party,” I said. I grabbed her hand and dragged her away from Kate before she could do anything worse.

                I turned to Kate. “I’m sorry Kate,” I said, before completely leaving the hall.

                When we reached outside the building, I let go of Steph’s hand. “Why are you doing this Steph?” I said almost shouting.

                “I should be asking you the same question Andrew. Why are you doing this? I told you to make up your mind and now you showed up here with Kate. What do you expect me to do?” she asked.

                “Steph, it’s not what you think,” I said.

                “Then what do you want me to think? That you’re just being friendly with Kate after she told your mom about us?”

                “She doesn’t know that mom and dad are against us, Steph. She was clueless so we can’t blame her,” I said, trying to convince her.

                “Oh okay. I’ll pretend that you’re being rational and that you’re not just trying to protect her,” she said.

                “Steph, please just leave Kate alone. She’s innocent,” I said.

                “Andrew, I thought we’re supposed to be in this together. But why are you protecting her now?” she asked, with her eyes piercing through mine.

                Why? Why was I protecting her? “Maybe because… I care for her. She doesn’t deserve any of these,” I answered.

                “What?? I knew it! You wouldn’t care so much about her if you don’t like her, right?” she asked again.

                “Why do you keep on saying that Steph? You know that I love you so much,” I said.

                “Because it’s the truth, Andrew. I’ve never seen you like this with other girls apart from me. So don’t try to fool me with your lies. That is it. We’re done,” she said.

                And just like that, she left me without turning her back. I stood there speechless. I wanted to follow her and stop her from leaving but my feet wouldn’t move. “Steph!” I called her name for the last time but she already disappeared.

 

Kate

                I was too startled when Steph appeared before us. Why was she acting that way? I didn’t even have a clue. Andrew just dragged her away from the hall while I was left standing in the middle of the dance floor. I could hear Alex speaking on the microphone apologizing to his guests. I felt totally humiliated.

                Then, I felt someone pulling me. “Kate, come on. Let’s go back to our seat,” Aiden said, as he led me the way back to our table.

                “Kate, are you okay?” Max asked me.

                I nodded.

                “What is happening between Andrew and Steph?” Aiden asked.

                “Maybe they’re having a small argument,” Vince answered.

                “Or maybe it’s something else,” Marcus mumbled beside me.

                “But why does she seem to be mad at Kate?” Max asked.

                “Kate, do you know anything about it?” Aiden asked me.

                I shook my head. Then, I stood up. “I need to see them,” I said, about to walk away. But then, I felt a hand stopping me.

                I turned around and saw Marcus looking at me. “Kate, don’t!” he said.

                I brushed his hand away and walked my way towards the door. Soon enough, I heard an exchange of loud arguments coming from the parking lot. “That’s it. We’re done,” I heard Steph say in a very angry tone.

                I hid behind a car and watched as Steph walked away leaving Andrew who was shouting her name. But Steph didn’t turn her back, not even once. I wanted to run towards him and hug him but then, someone stopped me again. “Kate, you don’t have to do this,” Marcus appeared behind me.

                “Marcus, he needs me,” I said.

                “But, I don’t think now’s the right time to approach him,” he said again.

                “I don’t care Marcus. I just want to make sure he’s alright,” I said, leaving him and walking towards Andrew who was now down on his knees.

                I moved towards him slowly. He didn’t seem to notice me. I could see his tears falling from his eyes. “Andrew!” I said.

                “Kate, why are you here?” he asked, looking at me.

                “I don’t know why Steph was acting like that. But whatever her reason was, I hope that you two still make up,” I said.

                He didn’t answer. He just stood up and pulled me in hugging me tightly.

 

Marcus

                I watched as Andrew hugged Kate. At that moment, I wanted to close my eyes and pretend that I didn’t see anything. But, it was so clear that I couldn’t even run away and ignore everything that I was seeing. I turned around before I even decide on pulling Kate away from that guy. Just then, I saw Aiden approaching my direction. “Marcus, can we talk?” he asked.

                I nodded.

                “Not here,” he said.

                I followed him as we walked to the side of the building. It was dimly lit and there were no other people around. “What are we gonna talk about Aiden?” I asked him.

                “Marcus, I’m leaving soon,” he said right away.

                “What??” I asked wide-eyed. “Why all of a sudden?”

                “Mom and dad want me to continue my studies in LA,” he said.

                “Why are you telling me this now? When are you leaving?” I asked.

                “Tomorrow Marcus. I’m telling you this because… I want you to look after Kate. I know she’s having a hard time now Marcus so I hope you won’t add up to her burden. Please, just take care of her… for me,” he said. “And I know that you also care for her.”

                We stared at each other for a while. I bobbed my head. “I’ll try my best, Aiden,” I said.

                “I hope you will. You know how much I care about her, right?” he asked.

                This was the first time I saw him talking this serious. “Yeah. Alright,” I said to him.

                He straightened out his hand to me. I took it then he hugged me. “I’ll expect that, Marcus,” he said. “Kaja! Let’s go back in.”

 

                “Apart from my birthday celebration, we also have another announcement this evening. My brother Aiden will soon be leaving Korea. He’ll be staying in America and will be living with our parents there. Aiden, please come up here,” Alex said on stage.

                Aiden came up and took the microphone from his brother.  He cleared his throat before speaking. “I would like to greet my brother again a happy, happy birthday. Thank you for sharing this day with him. Thank you all for coming. And to my friends who are here now, I know that the news of my leaving came in as a surprise for you. But I want you to know that I will always keep in touch with you. I will miss all of you especially my best bud, my partner in crime, Marcus… Prince Marcus,” he said smiling.

                Max and Vince were speechless at that time. They were really shocked as well. “Why is he suddenly leaving??” Vince asked me. I just shrugged.

                “Max, Vince and to my new friend, Kate, please take care always. Andrew hyung, whatever you’re dealing with right now, I hope that everything will turn out fine in the end. And to my brother, please stop being childish and find yourself a girlfriend. Don’t focus on your work too much. You’ll get old easily,” he said, which brought the visitors to laughter. “That’s all. Thank you!”

∞∞∞

Aiden

                I woke by a pillow being thrown on my face. “Aiden-ah! Aren’t you gonna wake up?” I heard my brother asking me.

                I groaned. “Hyung, it’s still early,” I said.

                “Early?? Have you forgotten about your flight to LA?” he asked me in a loud voice.

                Flight? Oh, right! Today’s my flight. But I didn’t feel like I was leaving. “Hyung, can’t you just give me five more minutes?”

                “Aiden, there’s no time to sleep. You can just continue that when you’re on board. But right now, you need to wake up and fix yourself. Arasso?” he said, pulling my feet.

                “Arasso,” I said irritatingly.

                After taking a bath and fixing everything, Alex helped me carry my suitcases inside the car. As we drove, I asked him to stop over at Kate’s house but he said that I’ve got no time already so we proceeded to Incheon airport. I sighed as we walked inside. I felt bad not being able to say goodbye to my friends for the last time.

                “Aren’t you going in?” Alex asked me.

                I looked around hoping that my friends would show up. But there was none. “I am,” I said, hugging him.

                “Alright then. Take care. Please look after mom and dad there,” Alex said, waving goodbye.

                I turned my back and marched forward. I was still thinking about leaving Kate. I haven’t even told her how much I liked her. I sighed again. I proceeded to the end of the waiting line. Just then, I heard someone calling my name. “Aiden! Aiden!”

                I turned around and saw Kate smiling. Marcus, Max and Vince were also with her. I ran towards them. “Don’t you think you’re forgetting something?” Vince asked me.

                “What?” I asked.

                “Saying goodbye to us,” Marcus answered.

                I moved towards him and hugged him. I did the same to Max and Vince. When it was Kate’s turn, I stopped. “Kate, please look after these three for me,” I said to her.

                She smiled.

                “Aren’t you supposed to be asking us to look after her?” Max asked.

                I turned to Marcus and gave him a wink. “I already took care of that,” I said.

                “You could’ve told me sooner that you’re leaving Aiden,” Kate said.

                “I know but then, I also know that you won’t be agreeing to go out with me the past days if I told you,” I said.

                “I could’ve spent more time with you in the mall the last time we went there,” she said.

                I smiled. “That’s okay Kate. It’s not like we’re not gonna see each other again.”

                She nodded. I moved towards her and gave her a peck on the cheek. “Ya! Aiden-ah, you’re not supposed to do that,” Max said, pushing me.

                I laughed a little. “I will miss you all,” I said.

                “You take care there,” Marcus said.

                “Group hug!” Max called. We all moved in and hugged each other in a circle. After that, it was time for me to go. I left them with tears in my face. I wiped it away as I marched my way in.

∞∞∞

A/N: Aiden’s gone! :( Sorry about that. I know some of you may get mad or sad. But he’ll come back eventually ;) I hope you keep on supporting and please do share this story if you have time. Thank YOU so much once again!

-theLEXical-