Chapter 5 - Another Clue

Under the Cherry Blossoms

 

Kate

                Jessica and I have been hanging out a few times ever since the incident with that ‘evil student’ happened. I learned that she’s also a third year student like me and that she’s taking up film and photography. I think she’s really nice. At least now I have a friend here in the campus.

                After our last class, I proceeded to the park again just to relax my mind. I brought out my sketch pad from my bag. As I flipped the pages, I noticed that almost all of my sketches are associated with cherry blossoms. I know you’d say I’m obsessed with them but it’s true. Then, I remembered mom again. I promised her that I’d paint a blossoming cherry blossom. I sighed.

                I started to sketch the last time I saw them blossom in my subconscious. This time I pictured my mom – her eyes, nose, mouth, cheeks. I tried to sketch her smiling face which lights me up every time. Suddenly, in the middle of my drawing, someone startled me. “Kate-ssi, you’re here,” the voice said.

                I turned around and saw Jessica grinning at my face. She knelt down to have a closer look on my drawing. “Jessica, how did you know I was here?” I asked her.

                “I followed you,” she said.

                “Oh.”

                “Who’s that?” she asked, looking at my drawing.

                “It’s my mom.”

                “Ah. Your eomma. She’s pretty.” She said as she took a seat beside me.

                “Yeah. She is,” I commented back. “So what brings you here?”

                “Hmm?” She tilted her head as if thinking. “I was just wondering if you could make me a sketch of the cherry blossoms. Just like the ones in your sketch pad.”

                “Okay. Sure. When will you need it?” I said.

                “By Friday?” she asked.

                Today is Monday, so I have enough days left to do that. “Alright,” I said to her.

                She hugged me tight. “Komawae-yo Kate-ssi,” she said. “You’re gonna stay here?”

                I nodded. “Ne (Yes).”

“I’ll get going then.” She stood up and waved goodbye. I waved back at her.

 

Marcus

                “Marcus-ssi, you’re going to the park again?” Aiden asked beside me, as we walked down the hallway.

                I nodded my head.

                “Aish! Jincha! You’re really crazy. Don’t tell me you still want to find whoever drew that sketch?” Aiden asked again sounding irritable.

                “Aiden-ah, if you don’t wanna come, I’m not forcing you. You can just go to your dates,” I said, gesturing him to go away.

                “But the King and Queen will just interrogate me if the guards don’t find you. I’ll just suffer the consequences in the end,” he mumbled.

                I let out a small laugh. “Just go away Aiden. Don’t try to make me change my mind ‘cause it won’t do.”

                “What is it that you really wanna find out about that person huh?”

                Now that he mentioned it, I realized that I don’t even know why I am so eager to know that person. Maybe because I feel like I’ve seen her sketch before. I just don’t remember where and when. It’s so weird. That’s why I wanted to see her. Maybe that way, my questions will be answered.

                “What’s your plan about your film by the way?” Aiden asked.

                Why did he have to bring this up again? I was already moving on from the incident. The face of that clumsy girl was slowly fading in my mind but now, I could see her face popping out again. “Aish! I don’t wanna remember it.”

                “Arasso. I was just asking,” he said, holding up both his hands.

                When we reached the park, I quickly looked at the tree in the middle. But no one was there. Aiden followed me as I walked near it.

                “Nothing’s here,” Aiden said matter-of-factly. “Kaja! (Let’s go!)”

                “Ne,” I said with a hint of disappointment on my face. As we walked away, a paper came crawling on the ground. It must have been blown by the wind. “Aiden-ah, wait,” I said, stopping him from walking.

                I picked up the paper and saw another sketch. This time it was a face of a woman. Maybe it’s her mom. I studied the sketch closely. At the bottom of the sketch, there was an initial written – K. Who could she be?

                “Yah! Is that another drawing?” Aiden asked who is now coming near me. “Do you think it’s the same person who drew the cherry blossoms?”

                Just by looking at the way this drawing was drawn, I could say that it’s the same person. I’ve been studying the first sketch for days that’s why I could recognize the way it was drawn. “Ne. I know it’s the same person.”

                “K?” Aiden mumbled as he noticed the initial at the bottom. “Do you know any K?”

                I shook my head.

 

Andrew

                I was dozing off when suddenly, I heard my phone ring. I tried to ignore it at first. But it kept on ringing so I had no choice but to answer it. “Hmm?”

                “Andrew-ssi? Where are you?” I heard the voice of mom.

                “Eomma, I just finished the photoshoot,” I answered. “I’m on my way home. Wae-yo (Why)?”

                “Can you just pick up Kate-ssi in the university for a while? She doesn’t know her way here.”

                Oh, so that’s why she’s extra concern today as compared before. But why do I have to do that? It’s just wasting more of my time. “Can’t you just call her and tell her the directions to our house?” I said.

                “Andrew-ssi, I could have just fetched her if I’m not busy at work, you know that,” she said.

                “Arasso. We’ll pick her up,” I finally said. After that, I instructed the driver to turn around and head to Kyunghee Univ.

 

Kate

                I stood in front of the gate as I waited for Mr. Jerk to fetch me here again. If only I knew their house, I could have just gone there by myself. And if only I had more money, I could have just taken a cab and ask for Dr. Choi’s hospital or something. I’ve been standing here for almost an hour and pretending to be calling someone just to avoid humiliation from all those students passing by. I must be looking like an idiot right now.

                Minutes later, a black shiny limousine stood in front of me. A guy stepped out of the driver’s seat and opened the back door for me. I didn’t move. Was he really pertaining to me?

After a few seconds, I could hear screams from behind me. “That’s Andrew’s limo,” I overheard someone said.

I realized that Andrew is the name of Dr. Choi’s son. But I totally forgot that he was a celebrity here. Dr. Choi would often talk about him back then. I remembered the expression he had every time he spoke of him. He was a proud dad. That’s why I don’t understand why that jerk hates his dad that much.

“Miss, are you Kate-ssi?” the guy asked me in fluent English which was amazingly real.

I nodded.

“Please just step in the car before the crowd gets worse,” he said.

I unknowingly followed him. Inside, I saw the figure of someone staring at my face. He was wearing black shades so I couldn’t see his eyes. He didn’t even greet me. I knew then that he was definitely Andrew.

“Thank you for picking me up,” I said impulsively.

“Don’t thank me,” he said. “I did it for eomma.”

He was being rude yet again. But I tried to be as calm as possible. “Yeah. I know. But either way, I still wanna thank you.”

“Whatever,” I heard him say, as he fixed his head to sleep.

 

 

Andrew

                Every buildings and bridges we passed by astounded her. She looked like a five year-old kid right now peeking at the car window and wowing each time she sees an attraction. I was trying so hard to get some sleep but here she was, disturbing my resting period. I faked a cough in an attempt to stop her. But she didn’t seem to hear.

                I was getting impatient so I said, “Someone is trying to sleep here. Do you mind?” I said, raising my voice.

                She fixed her head and never looked at the window again. “Sorry I just… I was just…” she stuttered.

                “Aish! Just stop,” I said. I was getting sick of her presence. I just wanted to go home and sleep.

                “Sorry…” she said again.

                I shot her a look. “Just stop.”

                She bowed her head.

After that, there was some peace inside the car. I finally dozed off. Minutes later, I was awakened by the driver. We finally reached our house. I took off my shades and stretched my arms. I noticed Kate now sleeping soundly in her seat. I sighed. Should I just wake her up or leave her here? Before I could choose the latter, the door opened. Mr. Yoo, the driver, peeked inside and looked at me then to Kate. “Andrew-ssi, I think she’s cold,” he said, noticing her arms wrapped in front of her chest.

I didn’t respond. What did he expect me to do? I only have one coat and that is the one I’m wearing right now. It’s freezing outside. I couldn’t just give it to her then I’d freeze to death.

He lifted his chin looking at my coat, as if he just read what I just thought. “Lend her yours, Andrew Choi,” he said.

Aish! He just said my complete name. And whenever he does this, it means that I really have do it because a) it’s the right thing to do and b) he’s like my second dad so I always follow him.

I let out a deep sigh and reluctantly took off my coat. I handed it to Mr. Yoo. “Just give it to her,” I said, as I stepped out of the car.

 

Kate

                “Miss Kate-ssi,” I heard someone calling my name. “Kate-ssi… Kate-ssi…”

                I felt someone shaking me. Suddenly, I realized that I was sleeping. I opened my eyes and saw someone looking at me. I couldn’t recognize his face. He smiled. I steadied myself and sat up straight. I realized I was still inside the car.

                “Here Miss Kate, wear this. You must be freezing,” he said, handing me a coat.

                “Thank you sir,” I said, as I held the coat and wore it. I stepped out of the car and started to walk forward. Before reaching the front door, I heard him say, “Please return it to Mr. Andrew-ssi when you get in.”

                I turned around to face him. He grinned. So he wasn’t kidding? Is this really his? How was I supposed to give it back? He doesn’t even want to see my face and so do I.

∞∞∞

A/N:

                Hello beautiful readers! (If there are any :D) Please tell me if this story is going anywhere. I want your feedbacks people so help me.

P.S. Who would you want to see more often? Kate, Andrew, Marcus? Others (please specify)? Just comment away. :)

Thanks again!

 

-theLEXical-