Chapter 25 - Party Fever

Under the Cherry Blossoms

Kate

                Today was Saturday and Aiden constantly reminded me about the party of his brother later this evening. I was still busy painting another portrait for the exhibit which Marcus ordered me to do. I already ran out of good ideas. I didn’t even think they were really good enough if not only for Marcus who kept on bugging me to participate.

                I stood up from my workplace and stared outside the window. I suddenly remembered Andrew. I wonder if he remembered that night that I actually told him I liked him. I just hope he’d forgotten all about it. It was too embarrassing. Suddenly, I heard a ring from my phone. I answered it and found it’s Aiden. Maybe he wanted to remind me again. “Kate-ssi!” he answered.

                “Aiden, I know… the party will start at 8,” I said.

                He laughed. “Anie. I called to ask if you wanted to go out.”

                “Out? Today? Why?” I asked. He always surprised me like this.

                “Just this last time,” he said. “Please?”

                “Uhm… I’m kinda busy right now,” I said, looking at my blank canvass.

                “Portrait again, huh?” he asked.

                “Ne. Mianhe,” I said.

                “I just… hope that I can spend this day with you before…” he stopped.

                I felt something’s not right from the way he spoke. “Before what?”

                “A…anie. It’s nothing,” he said. “Annyeong…”

                “Wait…” I said, stopping him.

                “Hmm?” he waited for my response.

                “I guess I can spare my time for this day,” I finally said.

                “Jincha??” he exclaimed. “Alright then, I’ll pick you up right away.”

                When he hanged up, I sighed. I quickly changed into my shirt, jeans and sneakers then I tied my long wavy hair up. I wanted to cut it but I didn’t even have time to do that anymore especially that I’ve been working for the exhibit the whole week. After that, I sat on the stool and waited for Aiden to show up.

 

 

Aiden

                After how many minutes, I reached the Choi’s house. I called Kate and she quickly responded. Not long enough, I saw her walking down the front door. I waved at her and she gave me a smile. “I’m sorry for disturbing you again,” I said, as I opened the door for her.

                “It’s okay,” she said.

                I started the car engine and we drove downtown. “So where are we going?” I heard her ask.

                “Just somewhere,” I said smiling.

 

                We drove for how many minutes before reaching the shopping center. Kate looked at me before stepping out. “Why are we here Aiden?” she asked.

                I smiled. “Just follow me,” I said, grabbing her arm.

                We walked inside and I led her to the first boutique we passed by. Kate hesitated to go in. “Aiden, what’s this?” she asked again.

                “I just wanted to buy you something to wear later,” I answered.

                “But… isn’t this good enough?” she asked, pointing to her clothes.

                I looked at her. Even if she was dressed as simple as that, she still looked pretty in my eyes. But, I still wanted to see her dressed more formally. “You’re pretty Kate,” I said. “But I want you to look even prettier when you wear a dress.”

                “Aiden,” she faltered.

                “Come on Kate-ssi,” I said, pulling her in.

                A saleslady escorted us in. “What do you want sir?” she asked.

                “Please give us something that she can wear,” I said, pointing at Kate.

                “Is it a formal party sir?” she asked.

                “Uhm… ne. Just give her something decent,” I said.

                “Okay sir,” she said, as she picked up some dressed from different aisles.

                I looked at Kate who was tapping her feet and giving me a look. I flashed her a smile. She shook her head. Then, the saleslady came back holding about ten dresses. I motioned Kate to come over which she deliberately did. I handed her the dresses and pushed her into the fitting room. “Aiden, tell me again why we’re doing this?” she asked.

                “Because I want you to be the prettiest girl later,” I said, pushing her in once more.

                She dragged her feet in. I sat down the couch near the fitting room and waited for her to change. After almost ten minutes, she still hasn’t come out. The saleslady looked at me. “Sir, are you sure she’s still there?” she asked.

                I stood up and walked near the fitting room. I knocked on the door. “Kate-ssi, you can come out anytime now,” I said.

                “No. I won’t come out,” she mumbled.

                “Come on Kate,” I pleaded.

                “I can’t.”

                “Then, are you planning on staying there forever?” I asked.

                She didn’t answer. After a minute, the door finally opened. I was lost for words when I saw her standing with the white and blue dress that stops on her knees. She looked like… a goddess. “I told you I looked funny,” she said, about to go in again.

                “Ma’am the dress fits you well,” the saleslady said.

                Kate looked at me. I was still speechless. It was only the first dress and I was already acting this way. “Uh… y-yeah… you looked… beautiful,” I stuttered.

             I heard the saleslady laughed. “You might want to try the other dresses, ma’am,” she suggested.

                “Uh no sorry miss. I don’t think I can,” Kate said, going back inside the fitting room.

                I sighed.

                “Sir, are you alright?” the saleslady asked.

                I nodded.

                “Are you going to take that?”

                I nodded.

                She laughed at me again.

 

Marcus

                Today was Alex hyung’s birthday. I wasn’t supposed to go since I knew that Andrew would be there. But I didn’t want to disappoint Alex hyung or Aiden. This was the least I could do for them. I decided to call Max to ask if he was already done preparing. “Max, what time will you be going?” I asked.

                “Uhm… maybe after 30 minutes,” he said. “You?”

                “I was about to go but since you said you’ll go later then, I’ll wait a little longer,” I answered.

                He laughed. “Why don’t you just go? Are you scared you might see Andrew?”

                “Yeah. I’m scared that I might do something bad to him,” I said.

                “Ya! Marcus-ssi, you’re still the prince, remember that,” he said, reminding me.

                “Ne. Arasso. Just stop me if you think I’m about to punch him already,” I said.

                “Yeah. Alright. See you at the party,” he said, hanging up.

                After that, I thought of calling Kate. Maybe he needed a ride or something. But then, I didn’t want to appear too kind to her as well so I just shook that thought away. Instead, I dialed Aiden’s number. “Yoboseyo?” he answered.

                “Aiden-ah, can we come now?” I asked.

                “Oh… ne. Of course,” he said. “Hajiman, I’m still not there.”

                “What? Wae? Where are you?” I asked.

                “I’m waiting for Kate,” he answered.

                Ah! So he’s picking her up as his date. “Arasso. I’ll just wait for you there then.”

 

              I fixed my suit and proceeded to the limo. After reaching the venue, I noticed that there were few cars parked already infront of the hotel. I stepped out and ordered the guards to just wait for me outside. As I walked in, Alex hyung saw me and approached me. “Happy birthday hyung!” I greeted him and handed him my gift.

               “Oh kamsamnida, Marcus-ssi,” he said. “Just sit at the table in front. Aiden’s on his way here.”

               I smiled and left him as another visitor greeted him. I scanned the hall. There were already few people there. Mostly were celebrities, probably his friends or just his co-workers. As people noticed me, they bowed infront of me as a sign of courtesy which I found to be very awkward even at this stage. I fidgeted on my fingers and played with my phone. I decided to call Max and Vince again but suddenly, they showed up at the entrance. I motioned them to come over my table.

             “Marcus-ssi, you’re here,” Vince said, tapping my back.

             “Ne. I thought you’d come late,” I said, turning to Max.

            “Yeah but Vince kept on bugging me so I just came,” Max answered.

            “Where’s Aiden?” Vince asked.

            “He said he’s on his way,” I said.

            They both nodded. “There are so many pretty celebrities here tonight,” Max mumbled.

            “Ya! Are you here to stalk them?” I said.

         He let out a laugh. “Marcus-ssi, it’s not that. I’m still a guy. We’re all guys here so this is just normal,” he said.

           Vince punched him lightly. “Max, we shouldn’t be saying something like that. We should be role models.”

            “Aish! Jincha! Since when did you even care about being a model?” he said to Vince.

            “Will you just stop arguing?” I said, pushing them away.

             Suddenly, Vince blurted out, “Omo! It’s Andrew.”

            We all looked at the entrance and saw my nemesis approaching Alex hyung on the other corner of the room. “Woah! He grew really well,” Max commented.

            “What do you mean by that?” Vince asked.

            “Look at him. He looks like someone who came out of a magazine,” he said.

           “But he IS a model in magazines,” Vince said.

           “Aish!” Max cursed. “Whatever.”

        Then, a couple came in next. We all stared at them as they walked inside the room and approached us.

               “Is that Aiden?” Vince asked. “With… Kate?”

            I didn’t answer. My eyes were fixed on Kate who was glowing like a fairy... no not a fairy… a goddess. She was… really… really… stunning. I couldn’t believe it was her. When they reached us, Aiden was smiling. “Oh you all came earlier than I expected,” he said.

             “Ne,” Vince and Max said. Then, they turned to Kate. “Kate-ssi, is that really you?” they asked.

              Kate just nodded timidly.

              “Aye. She’s beautiful, isn’t she?” Aiden asked us.

              “Ne. I think she’s the prettiest tonight. Don’t you think Marcus?” Max turned to me.

           “Uh… w-what are you talking about? She’s not the only girl here you know,” I said, trying to sound calm.

                “Ya! Just admit it Marcus,” Vince said, nudging his arm.

                “Aish! Hajima,” I said to him.

                Just then, we heard Alex hyung speaking on the microphone. We all looked at him infront and listened. “Everyone who came here tonight, I wanna thank you all – old and new friends. You all are precious to me. As you all know, I’m already getting old…” he paused, as the people laughed at his remark.

                “So thank you for sticking up with me… I hope that we’ll all remain friends until the moment we vanished,” he added. “Let’s all enjoy this night!” The music blasted again as the people started to dance in the middle.

 

Kate

                After how many minutes of playing party music, a slow dance started to play. Aiden, who was sitting beside me suddenly stood up. Then, he held out his hand to me asking me for a dance. I froze for a while. I wasn’t even planning on dancing tonight. Why did he have to do this?

                I slowly stood up and held his hand. When we reached the middle of the dance floor, I felt like all eyes were on us. I hated this kind of feeling. “Aiden, this is embarrassing,” I whispered to him.

                He laughed a little. “Wae? We’re just dancing.”

                “Everyone’s looking at us,” I mumbled under my breath.

                “That’s because we’re a cute couple,” he said.

                “Ne?” I asked, looking at him.

                He just continued to laugh. Then, he turned into a serious tone. “Kate, I want you know that… I’m really glad that I’ve met you.”

                I didn’t say anything. It was weird hearing him say that at this time. But, I kinda felt the same way too so I said, “Me too Aiden.”

                “Jeongmal?” he asked.

                I nodded. "Really."

                "You're really something Kate," he said, smiling. 

             As the music stopped, I noticed Andrew approaching us in the middle. He stopped Aiden. “Can I dance with her?” he asked him.

            I froze again. Why did he suddenly want to dance with me? Aiden let go of my hand and handed me to Andrew. Aiden went back to the table as another slow song started to play. I avoided Andrew’s gaze. I wanted to melt right now infront of him. I really didn’t have any face to show him after everything that happened.

                “Kate-ssi…” he spoke.

                I didn’t look at him.

               “Mianhe…” he said. “For causing you trouble last time. I knew you had a hard time trying to make me sober.”

          “D-do… you remember everything that happened that night?” I asked stutteringly. Did he remember? Oh no!  Please tell me you didn’t.

                “Of course, waeyo?” he asked.

              “So… you… heard… everything I told you?” I asked again getting more anxious by the second.

                “Ne. Wae? Kate-ssi… why are you asking this?” he asked, smiling.

       Did he possibly hear it? Why was he acting so cool? WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! No way! I think I should just die now.

                “Kate?” he asked again. “Kwaenchana?”

                “Uh… y-yeah,” I mumbled.

                “So… what you said last night… was that true?” he suddenly asked.

             At that instant, I stopped moving. So he DID really hear what I said. NOOOOOO! I think it’s better to just die now here right infront of him. I breathe several times and thought of ignoring his question. Just then, someone came towards our direction pulling me away from Andrew.

∞∞∞

 

A/N: Hello! How are you all doing? Hope you still enjoy reading this… please keep on supporting. I love you all guys! Without you, I wouldn’t be able to continue writing this so please do share this story :) Spread the love!

*I really really really appreciate you all reading this and it has already reached 1k+ reads. It really means a lot to me. I started writing this and never thought of reaching 500 reads and now... so thanks to YOU! :D

*BTW, whose team are you on? Comment away! :D

 

-theLEXical-