Chapter 7 - The Other Side Of Him

Under the Cherry Blossoms

 

Kate

                When I woke up, my head was throbbing in pain. My whole body felt weak. I tried to sit up straight in bed. I looked around me and the room was unfamiliar. It was bigger than the room that I was staying at Choi’s residence. Then, I remembered. Last night… I was… with someone. Could it be? Did he bring me to his house? No way!

                Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. A guy stepped inside the room. He looked at me for a minute. “You’re awake?”

                I stared at him for a moment. I didn’t quite recognize his face. I just stayed silent waiting for him to say something. Where was I really?

                “Oh, mianhe (sorry)! I’m Aiden, by the way,” he said, smiling. “What’s your name?”

                Aiden? I don’t know any Aiden. Who is this person? I sighed. “I’m Kate. Can I ask you why am I here?” I asked him.

                “Oh jincha (really)! You don’t remember?” he asked in disbelief.

                I shook my head.

                “You passed out last night. You were with Marcus,” he explained.

                Marcus? “Who?” I asked though I heard his name.

                “Marcus,” he repeated.

                “Who’s Marcus?” I finally asked.

                “You… don’t know him?” he asked astounded.

                I shook my head again.

                “Aish! Never mind. By the way, how are you feeling?” he asked.

                “I’m feeling better now. Can I go home already?” I asked him.

                “Ne. That’s why I’m here. Marcus sent me,” he said. “Kaja(Let’s go)!”

                Wait, what?? So Marcus sent him here? Then, this is not Aiden’s house but rather Marcus’? I couldn’t contain all of these. I just followed him and gently stood from the bed. He must’ve notice my body weakness ‘cause he asked, “Can you walk?”

                I nodded. I followed him as we walked down a huge hallway full of chandeliers. I’ve never seen a house this grand. The walls were all painted in gold and famous portraits like Mona Lisa were hanged on the sides. Giant vases and wooden sculptures were fixed on every corner. As we approached the front door, I noticed a painting of cherry blossoms hanging on one side of the wall. I paused looking at it. I never would’ve noticed that I’ve stared at it for a long time if Aiden didn’t snap his fingers up my face. “Kwaenchana (Are you alright)?” he asked.

                “Ne,” I just said.

                He walked near me. “Let’s go out quickly.”

                I looked at him confused.

                He lifted his chin to signal me to go out.

                Outside the house, there was an enormous garden. A huge fountain stood at the center. Trees were growing and green grasses surround the whole area almost as if it’s a golf course. I glanced to my left side and my jaw almost dropped at what I just saw. I’ve only seen pictures of traditional Korean palaces on the internet but now, I was actually inside their gates. But how?

                “Kate-ssi, what are you thinking? Hurry! Go inside,” Aiden called me.

                Before stepping inside his car, I glanced one more time around me. I was really inside the palace. Too many questions came popping out of my mind. Maybe only Aiden could answer it all. I stepped in and sat next to the driver’s seat.

                As we exited the walls of the palace, I looked at Aiden who was focused on the road. I wanted to ask him but I was too scared (or maybe shy). I looked at the road again and decided to just shut my mouth. Suddenly, my phone rang. An unknown number flashed on my screen. “Hello?” I answered.

                “Kate-ssi?” a guy replied.

                “Ne,” I said. “Who is this?”

                “It’s Andrew. Eomma was worried about you because you’re not here since last night. Where are you?” he asked.

                “I… I’m… on my way there,” I said.

                “Arasso,” he said.

                That’s it? He’s not gonna ask who I was with? Oh well, why would he anyway? He doesn’t really care. He’s just following his parents’ orders as what he always says.

                “Who is that?” nosy Aiden asked.

                I glanced at him. “It’s just someone.”

                He nodded. “So, you’re an exchange student?” he asked all of a sudden.

                I nodded.

                “Where are you from?”

                “Canada.”

                “Arasso. So, where are you staying?”

                “Uhm… at Dr. Choi’s house,” I said.

                “Jincha? Are you his relative? He is my eomma’s doctor.”

                “No I’m just… I mean, he’s friends with my mom and he cured my dad before so…” I stopped when he spoke again.

                “Ah I see.”

                I finally got the courage to ask him so I did. “Sunbae (Senior), can I ask you something?”

                He looked at me then smiled. “What are you gonna ask?”

                “Why was I in the palace just now? That’s the palace, right?” I asked for confirmation.

                He laughed again. “You really don’t know?”

                I shook my head. I didn’t see why he was laughing at me.

                “Marcus is the crown prince.”

                What?? I almost fell from my seat after hearing that. Marcus? A prince? No way! He is way too mean to be a prince.

                Aiden stared at me then laughed again. “You don’t believe me, do you?”

                “Uh… no. It’s not that. I was just…” I mumbled. Ugh! I didn’t know what else to say. Of all people, why did I have to bump on the Prince aka Future King of Korea? How unlucky me!

                I could still hear Aiden’s laugh. “How did you two meet last night?”

                “Long story,” I said.

 

Andrew

                When I descended the stairs, mom quickly called me to go to the lounge. I saw her preparing her luggage. “Andrew-ssi, do you know where Kate is?” she asked me.

                I frowned. “Ani (No). Waeyo (Why)?”

                “She’s not in her room right now. I already checked her room.”

                “Maybe she just went to school early,” I said, trying to calm her.

                She stopped zipping her suitcase. “Andrew, I’ve been trying to reach her but her phone’s off. Your appa (dad) and I are worried, what if something happened to her?”

                “Umma… if anything did happen, we would know that,” I said.

                She nodded. “But, Andrew-ssi, I want you to check on her. You know that I’ll be gone for a business trip, right? And your appa is on a convention right now so if Kate doesn’t come home, call us.”

                I nodded. “Ne. Arasso.”

                She leaned towards me and planted a kiss on my cheek. After that, she stepped out of the house. I managed to shout, “Have a safe trip!”

                I proceeded to the kitchen to eat the breakfast that our housekeeper, Aunt Ivy prepared before she left for her day-off. I still have to study my lines for the shooting tomorrow. Even if today’s my day-off, I still couldn’t rest. When would I get the chance to just sleep for a whole day? But, I knew I shouldn’t blame myself ‘cause this was the path that I chose.

                While I was eating, I glanced at my phone on the table. I thought of calling Kate but mom already said that her phone’s off. Where did she really go? I picked up my phone and clicked her number. “Hello?” someone answered.

                “Kate-ssi?” I replied.

                “Ne,” she said. “Who is this?”

                “It’s Andrew. Umma was worried about you because you’re not here since last night. Where are you?” I asked. I could hear a car moving from the other line. Maybe she’s on the road.

                “I… I’m… on my way there,” she said.

                I was right! “Arasso,” I said. At least now I knew that she’s safe, and mom wouldn’t worry anymore.

 

                An hour passed. Suddenly, I was surprised when I heard a familiar voice at the front door. “Thank you for the ride Aiden.”

                I turned and saw Kate walking in. She didn’t look at me as she passed by the lounge. Where did she actually sleep last night? Aish! I didn’t want to ask her ‘cause it’s none of my business. But, I needed to know because umma told me to check on her. I cleared my throat. “Kate-ssi,” I started.

                She turned her back and stopped at the foot of the stairs. “Ne?”

                “Where have you been?”

                “I… I just went to a friend’s house,” she answered.

                Friend? Impossible! “So you slept at his house?” I asked. I had to.

                “Uhm… ani. We… just met outside,” she seemed unsure of what to say. I could easily tell that she was lying.

                After that, I didn’t bother to question her anymore. I couldn’t care less anyway.

                In the afternoon, I decided to go out from my room and eat. I haven’t heard any noise from Kate since this morning which was a good sign. I dragged my feet to the hallway. I passed by her door and heard a weird sound. I stopped walking and listened closer. The noise was definitely coming from inside. I wondered what it was. I decided to knock on her door. “Yah! Kate-ssi!” I shouted.

                No one answered. I repeatedly knocked on her door. Still, there was none. I decided to call Aunt Ivy who was our housekeeper. But I remembered that she’s not here now due to family matters. I proceeded to my room and got the master key.

                I unlocked her door and slowly stepped in. She was lying in bed with a blanket on. “Kate-ssi.”

                She didn’t respond.

                “Kwenchana-yo (are you alright)?”

                She moaned.

                I moved closer to her bed. She seemed to be in pain. Her face was grimacing. I held my hand to her forehead. She was burning up. I quickly grabbed my phone and dialed dad’s number.

                “Yoboseyo (Hello) Andrew-ssi?” he answered.

                “Kate is burning up,” I said.

                “Jincha?” he asked with a shocked tone. “Is she having chills?”

                I glanced at her and she was frowning and . “Ani (No). But she’s really in pain. Ottoke (What should I do)?”

                “Just take her to the hospital,” he said.

                “Arasso (Alright),” I just said and hanged up.

                I looked at her again. How was I supposed to carry her to the car? I sighed. I moved closer to her and raised her head up. She suddenly spoke, “W… what are you doing?”

“I’ll take you to the hospital.”

                “H…hajima (Don’t),” I heard her answer in a soft and weak tone. “Please. I’ll just rest here.”

                I looked at her for a while. “But, you need to go see a doctor.”

                “Andrew-ssi, I’ll be fine,” she said.

                I laid her head back to her pillow. Why did she have to be stubborn at a time like this? I stepped out of her room. If Aunt Ivy was here, she’d know what to do. Aish! I went back to the couch and grabbed my script. I started to read the lines. Nothing’s entering in my mind. I couldn’t even concentrate now.

Suddenly, I remembered what mom used to do when I was a child. I quickly prepared a basin of warm water in the kitchen and carried it inside her room. She was still . I wash a towel and placed it on her forehead. After that, I was about to leave. But I felt her hand on my arm stopping me from standing. “Wae (Why)? I asked.

                “Komawayo Andrew-ssi,” she said, forcing a little smile on her face.

                A smile crept out of my face. “You need to rest now if you want to go back to school tomorrow,” I said.

                “Omo! I forgot that we’ve got a class today,” she said, trying to stand up.

I stopped her. “Kate-ssi, you can’t go now. You’re still weak.”

“But…” she paused, touching her forehead. “I’m feeling better. I can’t miss our exam.”

I placed an arm on her shoulder. “You can take that tomorrow. But for now, you need to rest. Arasso?”

She looked up and stared at me. “Andrew-ssi…”

                “Do you want me to tell dad that you went to school even if you’re sick?” I tried to threaten her. I knew that she follows my dad’s words and she respects him so much. Maybe this could stop her from being stubborn. “And he would tell me off again. In the end, I’d be the one in trouble.”

                She shook her head. “Mianhe-yo (Sorry),” she said, bowing her head.

                I nodded. Good thing she understood what I was trying to say. “Now what do you want to eat?”

                She looked at me almost as if she’s shocked. “You know how to cook?” she asked.

                How could she mock me at a time like this? “Ani. But… I’ll just buy outside.”

                “But… you can’t go out right? People will recognize you,” she said.

                Oh right! “Then, I’ll just cook ramen. Is that okay?”

                “Ne,” she said with a smile.

∞∞∞

A/N:

                Another update! :D I was so overwhelmed so i tried to finish this haha. And sorry if this wassn't good enough. I was trying to show Andrew’s soft side here so I hope I succeeded at some point. But anyway, let me know what you think and what do you want to see in the next chapters.

*Special thanks to my new readers: sakura1685 and oblivionvip :D

Comment away! :D

To YOU who is reading this now, thank YOU! :)

-theLEXical-