Work

The Woman I Love

“Hi I’m unavailable to answer the phone right now, leave your name and a message and I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.”

“Yifan~..are you free tonight? Can we meet up for a bit?” Jessica hung up the call and tried to refocus on the task at hand.

“Hey Jessica, the team manager is requesting the information on accounts 2546 and 2547.”

“I have one put together, I’m finishing up the second one. I’ll have them ready in 30 minutes.”

“Sounds good, I’ll swing by in 30 then for them.”

“Okay, thanks Jonathan.” Jessica turned back to her computer screen opening up another file. Half an hour later she handed the two folders over and faced her desk again. Sprawled all over were papers describing every detail about the a new prospective client her division was hoping to score a contract with at next week’s proposal meeting. Finishing her nearly-completed outline, she scanned through it again to check for any errors - focusing carefully on the data detailing the client’s latest quarterly statements. On the corner of the desk sat two piles of folders with a similar extent of detailing about another client who was interested in expanding their partnership to other areas beyond their current contract arrangement. Quickly clearing up the space she checked her phone and found a text message. “I’ll swing by your workplace and we’ll go for dinner. See you at 7!”

Checking the clock it read 4:30pm. Sighing Jessica gathered the files together and placed them in the file cabinet in her cubicle. Taking out another set of folders she started to review the financials on the marketing campaign with a recently acquired client. At 6:45 Ara brought five bulging folders over. “Jessica,” she called to catch the woman’s attention.

Jessica’s attention shot up from the computer screen and stared wide eyed as Ara placed the folders on her desk. Giving an apologetic look she retreated back to her own desk to answer the ringing phone. Opening the top folder, Jessica found receipts and forms to request covering different expenditures. Flipping through them briefly Jessica felt a headache forming to find receipts for expensive restaurants and European car rentals, even a weekend spa retreat. Pushing aside her now-interrupted work, she started going through the five folders clipping wayward receipts togethers so nothing would get lost.

“Sorry about that Jessica,” Ara stopped by her desk, clutching her bag and shrugging on her coat. “I was out for 3 days and Jae Hyun was supposed to pass them along last Friday, but I guess he forgot. He didn’t give them to me until he was leaving today. So receipts from over the weekend and last weekend are also included.”

“It’s okay Ara, it’s not your fault.”

“I also hate to give you more bad news but they want all those requests put in by tomorrow. Some of the managers are getting antsy about having those expenses on their personal credit cards.”

“No problem....I’ll get on them...”

“You are awesome you know that?”

“Haha, thanks...more like I’m the maknae in this division so I have to do it.”

Grinning Ara waved bye and left. Jessica picked up her phone and waited for her call to go through as she continued to clip receipts and forms together.

“Hey I’m almost there. Sorry but I left the hospital late.”

“No problem...I’m actually still sitting at my desk.”

“Late night?”

“I’m going to bring it with me to work on. It’s going to be an all-nighter possibly.”

“How about I pick up some take-out from that Japanese place near my place. You can come over - work on your stuff and I’ll study.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah, that way we can still see each other. Your voicemail sounded like you need company. And this way you won’t have to deal with your parents.”

“That’s true. I’ll meet you at your place then.”

“Yepp, I’ll see after I get the food.”

“Okay!” Hanging up Jessica continued clipping for another five minutes. Finished she placed the folders carefully in her bag and closed the zipper. Clearing up the folders that were left abandoned after Ara’s delivery, she placed those in the filing cabinet and locked it. Shutting down her computer and gathering the rest of her belongings, she put on her coat and left her floor, the last one to leave again. Hurrying through the streets she made it to the apartment complex in 20 minutes.

Letting herself in she placed her workbag and purse on a chair and shrugged out of her coat. Hanging it up on the coat rack by the door she went into the bedroom and grabbed a pair of sweatpants and t-shirt, changing out of her pencil skirt and blouse. Washing her face in the bathroom she rushed out, hearing the front door open.

“You were fast.”

“There weren’t many people there. And I called on my way there so the actual wait time wasn’t that long.”

“Ahhh, smart! Here I’ll serve the food.” Taking the food into the kitchen, Jessica grabbed some plates and divided the food. Leaving the food on the counter she went into the living area and grabbed her bag, taking out the folders and placing them on the coffee table in the living area. Heading back into the kitchen she placed the plates on a tray with a water pitcher and cups. She set up her serving on the coffee table and as she placed Yifan’s on the dining table, he came out of the bedroom with his own books.

“Here,” he handed her a sweater.

“What...?”

“I doubt my t-shirt is warm enough for you. I did laundry and didn’t put the clothes away yet.”

“No wonder I didn’t see a lot of your clothes in the closet. Thank you!” Taking the sweater Jessica put it on and plopped herself down on the rug. Yifan placed his books on the small dining table and arranged his books. The two each devoured their food in silence, both having not eaten since breakfast that morning. Yifan finished first and took his plates back into the kitchen. Coming out he sat on the couch behind Jessica, watching her finish her share.

“What happened?”

Swallowing a spoonful of rice, Jessica leaned back against the couch and rested her head against Yifan’s knee. “Work....one of my co-workers was let go today...all because the client she put a presentation together for, decided to change directions and wants to rethink their goals.”

Yifan ran his fingers through her hair, not interrupting but letting her continue talking.

“And the department head decided he wanted to forgo a proposal with a client we have a meeting with tomorrow morning. Yeonhee and I have been working on that presentation for 6 weeks now because they keep changing their minds about the budget and distribution of finances amongst the different steps in the project. Do you remember which one I’m talking about? It’s the one where I had to cancel our weekend trip to Busan.”

“And you ended up working the entire weekend at the office?”

“Yeah...I didn’t even go home...and the two of us have been practically pulling all-nighters at the office since last week to finalize everything...”

Silently Yifan slid off the couch and settled next to Jessica. Wrapping his arm around her shoulder he slid his hand up and down in a reassuring manner. “How did Yeonhee-shi take the news?”

“She’s gotten used to it since she’s been with the company for 3 years. She said it happened even in other divisions she worked in before our current one.”

“Do you want to get used to it like she has?”

Jessica bit her lip, “No...this is already the fifth time this is happening. I’ve been here for almost a year and if I got to the point of getting used to this...I...I don’t think I could stand to look at myself anymore.” Sighing she let her head fall onto Yifan’s chest, her hand let go of the chopsticks and wrapped around Yifan’s waist. “I don’t want to get used to it....”

“Then you’ll have to do something about it. You’ve never been an idle type of person Jessica, you work towards what you want and if you don’t want to be in this position, in this company...you’ll change that.”

“I thought this was what I wanted...finance and accounting in a consulting services firm like my dad does...but I don’t know now...”

“Well we can figure it out step-by-step. You don’t have to make the decision right now, but you can’t sit by and just let the situation continue on.”

“I know...thank you Yifan,” Jessica lifted her head and pecked him on the cheek.

Smiling he rubbed her head, “In the meantime, you better get on that work you told me about over the phone.”

Nodding, Jessica let go and finished her food. Pushing her plate to the side she worked until the early morning going through the folders as Yifan stayed up with her to study for his upcoming exam.


So I'm not a fan with this chapter, but I thought it'd be better to play out a scene versus just describing it in a reallyyy loonggg paragraph ><

Big thank you to 'exosica' and 'mutiabc' for upvoting!! =D I'm so happy people are liking this story!!!