Impulse

The Woman I Love

Sorry!! I had a difficult time figuring out how to put in this chapter, then decided to break it up into two. I'm not so good with transitions within a chapter. So this chapter (warning: is not that good) is late. 


 


Sooyeon sat on the sofa on a Saturday afternoon, half-listening to the program playing on tv while she folded laundry. The buzzer rang for the dryer, signalling the cycle’s end. She dropped the shirt back into the basket and walked into the bathroom to unload the pants.


“Sooyeon~ah!”


“Unnie?”


“Yeah, where are you?”


“Bathroom!”


Sooyoung stepped into the bathroom doorway, “Laundry again?”


“I actually haven’t done any since Yifan left. I’m running out of undergarments. Don’t judge unnie!” Sooyeon pouted.


Sooyoung just smiled and left for the kitchen. “I brought you some fruit, I went to the market last night and the oranges were really nice,” she shouted.


“Ohh~”


Sooyoung stuck the fruit in the refrigerator and grabbed a glass of water for herself. Coming back into the living room, she sat on the floor as Sooyeon was surrounded by clothes.


“When is Changmin oppa coming back?”


“He was supposed to come back yesterday but there were apparently a couple people at the conference who he wants to interview for the magazine, so he’s staying a few more days.”


“Well he gets a partial vacation..sortof...”


“Yeah...so how is Yifan doing over there?”


“Good...I think...It’s only been two weeks since he started but he’s been pretty busy. He sent me a couple emails updating me on things, but he’s been busy with consults almost since the moment he landed.”


“Well he did choose to arrive at the very last minute possible before the program started...I don’t get why he didn’t just leave sooner.”


“He said he had a patient he wanted to keep a close eye on until they were discharged. So even though he had no roster of patients, he had that one. Thankfully the patient was discharged on time..otherwise I think Changmin oppa would have had to drag him to the airport.”


“Oh Yifan...the man is dedicated to two things in his life...his career and you.”


“Uhm...yeah....” Sooyeon blushed at her unnie’s words and recalling Yifan’s request to wait for him, she felt her face flush even more. She became so absorbed in her thoughts that she didn’t hear Sooyoung.


“...Sooyeon? Sooyeon? Yah! Jung Sooyeon?”


“Uh...ah, unnie...what is it?”


“Way to ignore me...talking about Yifan brings you to another world...” Just then a ringing filled through the room. Sooyoung picked up her phone, “Ah omma...oh...yeah...” She walked into the kitchen so as not to disturb Sooyeon with the conversation.


Sooyeon shook her head to clear her mind. “Laundry Jung Sooyeon and then market...laundry and market!” she reminded herself.


She continued to fold several sweatpants and a sweater before pulling out a dark brown shirt from the pile. The large size and distinct cologne that clung to the shirt despite just being washed, meant it was Yifan’s. Sooyeon started to fold it but then hugged it to her chest, bending her face to take in the scent she associated with him. A tear fell down her cheek, wetting the shirt without her realizing.


Sooyoung came back into the living room to find Sooyeon clutching onto Yifan’s shirt as though it was the end of the world. “Sooyeon~ah...what....”


“Unnie...” she lifted her head to reveal more tear stains on her face.


“Sooyeon, what’s wrong?” Sooyoung moved a pile of neatly folded socks out of the way and pulled Sooyeon into a hug.


“I....I miss Yifan....”


“Of course you do...but you’ll get to talk to him soon. Just let him settle down and get into a routine and then you two can find a time to have regular phone calls. And video calls! Technology is amazing these days!” Sooyoung tried joking to comfort Sooyeon. The two sat in silence for a few minutes.


“Unnie...”


“Mm?”


“I’m going to New York.”


“Huh?” Sooyoung pulled away to find Sooyeon in serious thinking mode. “Sooyeon...”


“Unnie, I want to see Yifan. I miss him a lot.”


“Are you sure?”


“Yes!”


Sooyoung decided it would be pointless to argue and Sooyeon’s eyes were set in her decision. For the rest of the day Sooyeon sat searching flights to New York City while Sooyoung called Changmin to tell him of Sooyeon’s impulsive decision. But as Sooyeon instructed, Changmin was sworn to not tell Yifan anything.


Booking a flight for Wednesday, Sooyeon went about the rest of the weekend performing chores and errands around the apartment. Going into work on Monday she requested the later half of the week off. Sooyoung came by early Wednesday morning to drop her off at the airport. Sooyeon sent her last email to Yifan right before being told to turn off her laptop by the airline steward.


‘Yifan!


So how is everything? I just got around to reading your last email...I hope your patient makes it through the final treatment round - it would be terrible to get through 5 rounds of treatment only to falter at the end. Work is good...busy but that’s normal. By the way, I was doing laundry over the weekend and thought of you, you forgot to wash a shirt I believe? And decided I’m going to come visit you in New York! My flight is leaving Seoul at 7am Wednesday so should get into JFK in New York at 10am Wednesday. I’ll call your cell from the hotel once I get in. See you soon!


Sooyeon


P.S. I have your answer.’