High School

The Woman I Love

So I realized I'm not actually sure how every 3 days works...is it day 1, 2, 3 pass and I update on day 4 or day 1 and 2 pass and I update on day 3....T_T...I so confused...so I decided to just add 3 to the previous update! This is probably why I take forever to finish one chapter if I take so long to figure out what 'every 3 days' means...T_T...anywho, enjoy!! :) 


 

“Sorryy!! I had to...finish...the...lab...” Bending over to catch her breath, she took out her bottle of water and gulped down a quarter of the bottle. “Did you wait long?”

 

“Don’t worry, I just got here.”

 

“Pfft, liar.”

 

“What lab were you working on?”

 

“We’re starting electromagnetism and our teacher wanted us to write out the theories involved first before actually starting...and hey! Don’t distract me!”

 

“From what??”

 

“From knowing you’re lying about showing up just now. So when did you really get here?”

 

“Jessica Jung, you’re crazy you know that?”

 

“Whateverr Yifan...ready for 3 more hours of lessons?”

 

“Yepp, we’re doing biology today,” he stuck his tongue out teasingly.

 

“Whyyyy...” Jessica whined.

 

Yifan just stuck a pocky stick in knowing it was the only way to calm her down.

 

“MMM!” Jessica mumbled around the pocky. Taking a bite she held the rest in her hand, “Fine...but you’re helping me with anything I can’t figure out!”

 

Yifan didn’t bother answering and began pushing her along down the street. The two strolled down the street munching on the box of pocky Yifan had brought and the peaches Jessica had cut that morning. At first glance, the pairing seemed a little unconventional. The giant Chinese guy towering over the petite Korean girl. Their conversations didn’t seem to make sense either, as one spoke in Korean and the other in Chinese.

 

After their first prep class together, Wu Yifan and Jessica Jung had become close friends despite going to different high schools. He studied at a co-ed international school and was close with 11 other guys in the school, the 12 of them being popular amongst their female classmates due to their good looks. But the attention made Yifan uneasy as he had yet to fully adjust to living in Seoul. Constantly moving back and forth between Guangdong and Vancouver, this time they had come to Seoul for his dad's job. But all the moving made him mentally prepared just in case his parents were to say “We’re moving.”

 

Jessica, on the other hand, had yet to develop a close friendship with her classmates in the all-girls high school she had been attending since her family’s return. Having arrived in the middle of the school year, the other students had already formed their cliques and she found it difficult to approach a new person, much less a whole group of new people at once. It was only her curiosity about Yifan’s book that began their friendship two years ago.

 

Realizing they each spoke English on a fluent level, the two had communicated in their common language for several months to get to know each other. But quickly decided to take advantage of the other’s fluency in Chinese and Korean to master it themselves. So when the two were alone together, Yifan would speak in Korean and Jessica in Chinese. It made for an initially lopsided conversation since Jessica’s knowledge of Chinese was minimal at best while Yifan’s Korean was on a more conversational level already, having lived in Seoul for 2 years before meeting Jessica. But their conversations soon progressed as Jessica picked up more Chinese phrases from Yifan and from playing dramas late at night while studying. Though Yifan would saying she sounded like a scripted rom-com sometimes. Despite the lopsided conversations, they came to depend on each other, understanding the loneliness the other felt at times.

 

“So what are you doing Saturday? The boys want to do something.”

 

“I thought it’s always Fridays?”

 

“I have work tomorrow after school and I’m not going to leave you to take care of the rest of them.”

 

“They’re not that bad. They play around because they know you’ll always be there. You’re their duizhang....ooh I shall call you ‘duizhang’ from now on, okay duizhang?”

 

“Ughh...no please...you know they like to call me that.”

 

“Hehehe, yeah I know. But because you’re there, they know they’ll be safe.”

 

“Doesn’t matter. Still not leaving you alone with them. We’re doing Saturday.”

 

“Yifan...they’re my boys!” Jessica jumped in front of his path and held out her arms to block his path.

 

Yifan just stared down at her, not saying anything. A few seconds later Jessica dropped her arms and fell back into step with him. “Fineee...so what’s the plan?”

 

“A couple of the graduated students from the basketball team wanted to meet up. You remember Yunho hyung and Changmin hyung?” At her affirmative nod, he continued, “It’s most likely dinner and then bowling.”

 

“That sounds good...oh! Can you help me this weekend? We have a test in physics on electromagnetism in two weeks. Our teacher has gone over most of the concepts already and I’ve done the problems but I want to review again.”

 

“Sure. I’ll come by Saturday before we head out. We can go together.”

 

“Thank youu Yifann! Here!” Pulling two pocky sticks out of the box, she stuck them both in his mouth.

 

Glaring at her playfully Yifan chewed as they kept walking. Jessica pouted in disappointment when the pocky ran out before they had even reached the tutoring center.

 

Later

The class of students filed through the hallway, chattering noisily. Yifan walked close behind Jessica to lessen the jostling from the crowd around them. Coming to the elevator bank, he gestured for their classmates to go on ahead when he saw there was no room left.

 

“We got out earlyyy!” Jessica jumped up and down, excited with the early dismissal.

 

“By 5 minutes...”

 

“But still!!”

 

Holding the door open on the just-arrived elevator, Yifan chuckled watching Jessica twirl around. “Okay happy one, get in.”

 

She entered the elevator, pressing the button for the ground floor. The doors closed only to open again as another group of students swarmed into the elevator. Jessica found herself being pushed to the back as people kept entering. A hand grabbed onto her arm and pulled her into the corner. Pulling Jessica behind him, Yifan stood between her and the rest of the crowd. When no room was left, the doors finally closed. Jessica buried her head against Yifan’s back, sighing as the elevator decided to stop at every floor on its way down.

 

Reaching the lobby, everyone quickly piled out of the small space. “Finallyyy!” Yifan smiled to himself at Jessica’s cry, feeling her backhug him in relief. Moving out of the elevator, Jessica continued holding onto Yifan’s waist, letting him pull her along as she kept her head against his back. Feeling him stop walking she let go and waited for him to sling his backpack on, having taken it off when the elevator became too crowded.

 

“And I thought we’d avoid the crowd since we got out early...”

 

“Didn’t I protect you back there?”

 

“Heh, yeah you did,” Jessica clutched onto Yifan’s arm as they went down the block, her skipping to match his long strides. She swung his arm back and forth a couple times before he pulled out of her grasp and held onto her hand. “We’re going to cross the street, pay attention.”

 

Jessica stopped skipping and held tightly onto his hand as they crossed the busy intersection and went down into the subway station. “You’ll let me know about Saturday’s plans then?”

 

“Yeah, so I’ll come by first at 10 to help you with physics.”

 

“10?! That’s so early...I thought you’d want to sleep in. 2 more hours of sleep please! 12!!” Jessica pouted to try to convince him.

 

“I’m more than okay with 12 but I thought you’d want to get in as much review as possible.”

 

“That’s why I asked you two weekends before the exam. What we don’t finish, I can bother you with over the week and next weekend.!”

 

“Yah! Two weekends in a row with you??”

 

“Pffft, we spend most weekends with each other, what are you complaining about??”

 

Yifan just stuck his tongue out in response and tugged on her hand to pull her into the waiting subway car.