Maybe

The Woman I Love

Thank you to @Jessica_Lover for the upvote!!


 

“So how is she doing?” Changmin looked toward the kitchen where his wife was helping Sooyeon pour tea.


“She says she’s fine.”


“And is she?”


“It’ll take time but she is getting better. She doesn’t cry as much anymore. Keeping busy is helping her too.”


“How’s she keeping up with school? Isn’t she working two jobs?”


“Yeah she’s taking just two classes right now. I told her she doesn’t have to worry about paying rent and such but she does need money for tuition.”


“Is she still at the doctor’s office?”


“No, the commute was way too long and I didn’t want her coming back so late at night. She would come home close to 1am sometimes, I told her it wasn’t safe.”


“So overprotective Yifan.”


“You’d tell noona the same thing hyung.”


“Yeah....so where’s Sooyeon working now?”


“She found a job transcribing at a law firm near the hospital. She still works late but the commute is closer and if it’s really late, she comes by the hospital and waits for me.”


“You know, if I didn’t know any better,  I’d think you two had something going on.”


“What do you mean...”


“You two consult each other about everything. You’re living together and last time you told me, Sooyeon would even bring you meals at the hospital. You two are like a couple without realizing it.”


“That’s because the nonprofit and the law firm now are both a short walk away from the hospital...we have nothing....” Yifan trailed off, recalling the almost-kiss earlier. A lump suddenly rose in his throat and he had to visibly swallow it down.


“Yifan? Yifan? Yah!”


“Huh!? Sorry hyung...what were you saying?”


Changmin gave him a suspicious look but Sooyoung’s approach stopped any further questioning. “Changminnn~!”


“Ah Soo, you’re done talking?”


“Yepp, Sooyeon is putting away your pants...such wifey material, don’t you think so Yifan?”


“Uhmm....” Yifan felt his ears growing warm.


“Oh..don’t do anything to Sooyeon. I don’t want to be an aunt just yet,” Sooyoung warned.


“What are you talking about Soo?”


“They,” glancing at Yifan she cupped her hands around Changmin’s ear and whispered, “share a bed....”


Changmin’s eyes widened and he wrenched his head around to look at Yifan. “Yah! Why are you lying about you and Sooyeon! Yifan!” Getting up from his seat he grabbed Yifan’s hand and pulled him into a hug. “Congratulations!! You two are perfect for each other! Oh man, this is awesome! Does Yunho know?”


“Wait, hyung! What the??”


“Sooyoung said you two share a bed...so you two are a couple! Why’d you hide it?”


“Noona!” Yifan stepped back from Changmin and looked toward the bedroom where Sooyoung stood in the doorway. At the same time Sooyeon’s cry of “unnie!” was heard.


The two men looked at Sooyoung and watched her retreat back into the living room and a red-faced Sooyeon soon followed behind. “Sooyeon! I’ve just heard the good news! Congrats!”


“Huh?”


“Honey, they’re not a couple,” Sooyoung explained.


“But....”


“I’ll explain later. But let’s get going. See you, you two!” Waving cheerfully, Sooyoung pulled Changmin out of the apartment, leaving behind two very flabbergasted people.


“Uhm....” Yifan looked over at Sooyeon who was still wide-eyed and flushing a very deep red. “Are you okay? You’re all red.”


“Yeah...uhm...you should finish breakfast. I’m just putting laundry away, I’ll be right out.” Half-running back to the bedroom Sooyeon fell onto the bed to catch her breath. Burying her face into a pair of jeans she shook her head to clear her mind.


Yifan sat back down at the table and picked at the cold food. Changmin’s words echoed in his mind “You two are like a couple without realizing it.” Yifan thought it over in his mind, “Sooyeon...me...me and Sooyeon...together...” He smiled to himself as he kept thinking of his best friend. “Maybe hyung...maybe....” he murmured to himself.