Something to Tell You

The Woman I Love

Thank you to @tennisj for the upvote!!! I had a hard time coming up with this chapter...i managed to write the next chapter before this one...T_T...I had 5 different ideas and wrote out 2 different options. I think this one makes the most sense and flows into the next chapter better. Let me know if you think otherwise and if this is absolutely terrible! Constructive criticism is always welcome! I need to improve! 


 

Sooyeon pulled open the door of the coffee shop and stepped in. The after lunch hour meant the lunch crowd had just left, leaving the place mostly deserted aside from three tables. At the third sat a young woman nervously alternating between clutching her coffee cup and fiddling with her bracelet. Sooyeon approached the table and murmured a quiet hi.

 

She ordered coffee and sat down. Silence enveloped them both until the waitress came with her order. Taking a sip of her drink, Sooyeon started. “Why did you ask to see me?”

 

“To see you...unnie...”

 

“You haven’t seen me in 5 years and now you suddenly want to see me? What do you want?”

 

“I...I came back to Seoul and wanted to see you unnie.”

 

“You didn’t even have the decency to call me when you left, you sent me an email after you had all been gone a week, you haven’t contacted me in 5 years...yeah, you really wanted to see me...” Sooyeon scoffed.

 

“Unnie, don’t be like this. I have something to tell you.”

 

“Which is? Just what do you want Krystal?”

 

“Uhm...omma and appa are still overseas. They’re actually in France at the moment, appa has a new project over there.”

 

Sooyeon didn’t bother answering and just let her ramble about their parents, waiting to hear the real reason why Krystal suddenly contacted her. Sooyeon picked up her coffee and drank the hot liquid, still waiting.

 

“I’m moving back to Seoul.”

 

Sooyeon put her cup down and gave her full attention.

 

“Omma and appa told me to leave as well...they no longer have any children.” Seeing her unnie’s puzzled expression, she explained, “I’m seeing someone. He came to the States to study and we met through school.”

 

“And?”

 

“And...omma and appa don’t approve of him...”

 

“And?”

 

“He’s studying to be a doctor but after what happened with you...omma and appa don’t like him...cause Yifan oppa is...a doctor...”

 

“Krystal what is your point? Please get to it.”

 

“I’m getting married to him, Taemin sunbae...he’s also the reason why I decided to study to be a doctor as well. I want to help people...and unnie, I understand now why you wanted to quit your original career plan and why you walked away with Yifan oppa. I understand now...unnie, I’m sorry for not standing by you then....I’m sorry,” Krystal weeped into her hand, muffling her cries.

 

“Krystal...” Sooyeon handed her tissues and waited for her sister to calm down.

 

Seeing the tears stop, she continued, “I didn’t do all that back then because of Yifan. I chose a different career because I wanted to make the change for myself. It just happened that the change started with Yifan, but he wasn’t the deciding factor.”

 

“I thought Yifan oppa was the main reason. Even though omma and appa kept yelling at you about switching jobs, only when they started cursing off oppa did you argue back.”

 

“Because he didn’t deserve such treatment from omma and appa. They were fine with our friendship for all those years. And because of my own choice, they were saying terrible things about him.”

 

“Are you and oppa dating now? hm? hm?” Krystal leaned forward, eager to know.

 

“Krystal, I don’t think I’m ready for such conversations with you yet...5 years is a good amount of time. I’ve lived these 5 years as though I had never had parents and a sister. Yifan, Sooyoung unnie and Changmin oppa became my family.”

 

“If you two aren’t dating, you should just ask him out already unnie! You don’t know if oppa will suddenly start dating someone. And you just said yourself, he became your family. It’s just one more step to husband!”

 

“Krystal,” Sooyeon stood up. “I have to get going. Feel free to contact me if you need anything.”

 

“Thank you for meeting me unnie. I want you to meet Taemin sunbae soon.”

 

“I’ll see you Krystal.” Waving, Sooyeon left the coffee shop. Stepping into the apartment she went into the bedroom to change. Seeing Yifan’s clean clothes sitting in the hamper she started putting them away. Holding his dress shirts she caught the scent of his cologne. She brought the shirt closer and took in the smell that she could immediately recognize as Yifan’s. Krystal’s words from earlier echoed in her mind “If you two aren’t dating, you should just ask him out already unnie!”

 

“Should I....?”Sooyeon pouted.

 

“Sooyeon! I’m back!”

 

“Oh!” Putting down the rest of his clothes, Sooyeon walked out of the bedroom to meet Yifan in the living area. “Hey, you’re back early.”

 

“Yeah...how was meeting with Krystal?”

 

Walking into the bedroom, Sooyeon told how Krystal had also left home. “So it wasn’t busy at the hospital today?”

 

“I guess everyone decided to stay home this Sunday afternoon,” Yifan joked. Taking out an envelope from his bag he gestured for Sooyeon to sit on the bed. “I have something to tell you.”

 

“Mm, me too.” Sooyeon decided to tell him what Krystal said in reference to him.

 

“Go first.”

 

“No you said you wanted to say something first so you go.”

 

“Ok...I got accepted to an oncology fellowship.”

 

“Yifan! Omo! That’s awesome!!” Leaning forward to give him a hug, Sooyeon kept moving around with excitement. Sitting back down she asked, “When does it start? Oh wait...you have to finish your residency first right?”

 

“Yeah I have to finish a few more months but then I can start the fellowship which is awesome since it’s in oncology which I really want to do, especially after some of the kids at the orphanage...” he trailed off. Sooyeon squeezed his hand, understanding where his sentence was going. Two years ago, several of the children at the orphanage were diagnosed with leukemia. Yifan and Sooyeon had accompanied them at the hospital whenever they could fit time into their busy schedules. From the experience Yifan took an interest in the oncology space and decided to specialize instead of sticking with his original plan of doing primary care. Sooyeon supported him with his choice and even searched up Korean hospitals with oncology teaching programs.

 

“When’d you find out?”

 

“Today actually...I picked up the mail on my way to the hospital this morning and it happened to be in there.”

 

“Yifan~ I’m so happy for you!”

 

“Sooyeon~ah...”

 

“Mm?”


“The fellowship is in New York...I’ll have to be there for three years...”