Rest With You

The Woman I Love

“No...the dress makes you look short.”

 

“Krys, I am short....”

 

“Well...shorter than normal then!”

 

“Yeah...I don’t like it either...go change.”

 

“How about this one?”

 

“I’m not feeling the poofy skirt...it looks awkward on you...”

 

Sighing Sooyeon stepped back into the fitting area. She eyed the last dress left on the rack. After Yifan called his parents to let them know about the engagement, his mother had sent over a small present for her new daughter-in-law. As she picked out dresses to try on, Sooyeon had kept in mind her in-laws’ gift. Planning on wearing the necklace for the wedding, the final dress had fine lace detailing that would match the exquisite string of pearls sent over from Shanghai.

 

Slipping into the cool fabric, the shop attendant pushed aside the curtain to let the others see.

 

“Oh Unnie! You look stunning in that!”

 

“You like it?”

 

“Yes! It’s simple but very elegant, it’s definitely you.”

 

“Unnie, what do you think?”

 

“I agree with Krystal. You look beautiful in that dress Sooyeon. Oh! Try on a veil with it!”

 

Sooyoung pushed Mina’s stroller back and forth, rocking her to sleep, as she gave her input on the dress. Her sage green flower girl dress hung in a protective bag on the rack in the fitting area. Krystal helped pin the veil into her sister’s hair. Fluffing out the fabric around Sooyeon’s shoulders, Krystal stepped back and smiled at the sight. “You look like one of the models in the magazines. This is the dress unnie.”

 

Turning around to get a glimpse in the mirror, Sooyeon nodded. “This is the dress. I don’t feel uncomfortable in it like with the other dresses and I really love it.”

 

“It’s important that you love it. You’ll only get to wear your wedding dress once.”

 

“I do...I love everything about it!” Sooyeon burst into laughter, too happy about her dress. She scheduled a pick-up time so they could perform some alterations. Then paying for her dress and Mina’s flower girl dress, they left the shop.

 

“You should have let me buy Mina’s dress.”

 

“Unnie, it’s my wedding and I’m asking Mina to be part of the ceremony. Think of it as a gift, she can play dress-up with it later on.” With Krystal still pregnant and Sooyoung exhausted with three kids, Sooyeon had decided to forgo any bridesmaids and only have a flower girl. Since Yifan’s surprise proposal, they had quickly put together the wedding details in three months. Because of his busy work schedule, most of the planning fell on Sooyeon’s shoulders but Yifan gave as much input as he could before he would pass out every night from exhaustion. To ease his burden of dealing with minute details, Sooyeon consulted her sister and Sooyoung with any problems, going to them for suggestions as they had already gone through the whole process.

 

Dropping Krystal off first then Sooyoung and Mina, Sooyeon made her way home. Stepping into the apartment she found Yifan lying on the couch fast asleep with a book on his chest. Changing out of her street clothes, Sooyeon removed the book and covered him with a blanket. As she stepped away, she felt an arm snake around her waist and pulling her down. Squealing she fell onto her fiance who gave her a cheeky look in response.

 

“Yah! What was that for?”

 

“You were going to walk away without giving me a kiss!”

 

“Such a baby...” Sooyeon gave him a light peck before adjusting herself in his hold. “You’re home early today. I thought you had a procedure this afternoon.”

 

“The patient isn’t stable so we postponed the procedure for now. I just got back maybe 20 minutes ago. How was the search?”

 

“Mmm....I found my dress, but you’re not seeing it until the day of.”

 

“I figured...Sooyeon~ah.”

 

“Hm?”

 

“You really aren’t going to have your parents come?”

 

Sooyeon had contacted her parents in America to let them know about her engagement and to invite them to the wedding. But they refused to acknowledge the engagement and refused to come to the nuptials. Sooyeon was hurt by the rejection but she had prepared herself for such a reaction. The elder Jungs did not attend Krystal’s wedding and were unaware about their younger daughter’s pregnancy. “They don’t want to come...I can’t force them.”

 

“They’re your parents...you won’t have regrets?”

 

“I’ll be sad that they didn’t come, but they haven’t been in my life now for ten years. To them, Krystal and I are no longer their children. How do I change their minds on that?....Krystal will be there with Taemin, and Changmin oppa and Sooyoung unnie as well. They have been my family these past few years and they’ll be my family on our wedding day.”

 

Yifan pulled her down to wrap his arms around her in a hug. “I just don’t want you to have regrets about not having them there. I know they haven’t been great parents to you and Krystal but they loved you both.”

 

“If they still love me, they would be happy for me,” Sooyeon sighed. She rested her head on his shoulder and tapped her fingers against his chest. “I gave them the chance to come, I’m not stopping them from coming but they don’t want any part of it. And I want to be happy when we get married, I don’t want to have to cater to my parents’ whims.”

 

Yifan hugged her closer and ran his fingers continually through her hair. “I want you to be happy too. Sorry for bringing this up but I just want to be sure you’ll be okay.”

 

“I’ll be around my family who do care about us and our happiness.”

 

Yifan smiled and kissed the top of her head. “And then we’ll also have our own family.”

 

“Yah! Who said anything about kids?” Sooyeon sat up in his arms and smacked him. “Stop thinking dirty!”

 

Yifan looked at her, “Hm...I think you’re the one thinking dirty...all I meant was you and I would actually become a family...what are you thinking about?”

 

“Umm...nothing...I’m going to make dinner, you’re probably hungry.” She tried sitting up but his arms held fast around her, preventing her from moving.

 

“My baby is embarrassed,” Yifan teased. Feeling her squirm in his arms, he tightened his hold and leaned his head against the sofa. “You can make food later, I want to rest for a moment with you. I’ve been staying at the late at the hospital and you’ve been busy with work and planning for the wedding. I just want to rest with you for a moment.”

 

“We’re both such busy people...” Sooyeon joked.

 

“So update me on what wedding details you’ve done so far?”

 

“Mm...we booked the small ballroom at the hotel that we looked at. Sooyoung unnie came with me to look at it again and we agreed the space was large enough for our purpose. I booked rooms for your parents and relatives at the same hotel so it will be convenient for them. The linens for the tables are picked out and the flowers as well....oh! We picked out Mina’s flower girl dress! It’s soo cute on her!”

 

“I’m sure as long as it’s sparkly and lets her twirl around, she’ll be a happy flower girl.”

 

“Ahh yes, Sooyoung unnie said you supply many dress-up clothes for Mina, but not as many as Changmin oppa. You’re her #2 supplier after her appa.”

 

“Only because noona would yell at me for getting more dress-up clothes for Mina. Hyung is bad enough as is.”

 

“Mm...Mina has Changmin oppa wrapped tightly around her finger...will our daughter have you doing the same?”

 

“Hm?” Yifan bent his head to look at Sooyeon’s face. “Look at who’s thinking dirty now...a daughter hm? So specific...not sure if I can promise a little girl, but we can try for a little girl, as many times as it takes,” he teased.

 

“Yifan!” Sooyeon covered her face with her hands and turned into his chest, squirming around as Yifan kept poking her.

 

“Sooyeon~ah....it’s okay. I want a cute little girl who looks just like her omma.”

 

“Mmm...” she mumbled through her hands.

 

“And if we happen to have a boy, that’s okay too. We can always keep trying like I said,” Yifan couldn’t help adding.

 

“Wu Yifan!!!”

 


 

No real comments this time around, haha...inbetween writing and typing up this chapter, I was playing with my new phone and getting frustrated by it. I am not a techie type of person at all >.< 

 

Enjoy reading! 

 

Oh! I will most likely not be able to update with the next (and last!) chapter until next weekend. I'm still planning out what to write and I just started a new job so I have training all week. But it should be up next weekend!