Sooyeon

The Woman I Love

 

“Yifan....Yifan~~”


“Mmm....” Yifan turned into his pillow, trying to ignore the voice.


“Yifan~ah...breakfast! I’ll eat it all otherwise!”


“Nnnggg...” Pushing himself into a sitting position, Yifan rubbed his eyes tiredly. “What time is it?”


“10am! You’ve slept 11 hours. If you sleep any longer, you’ll mess up your sleep cycle.”


Yifan chuckled, “It’s already messed up...I’m a resident remember?”


“I know...but get up! I’ve already done a load of laundry and made breakfast!” Tugging on his arm, she led him out to the dining table.


“I told you not to worry about these things. I’m happy to share the apartment with you and being able to see you everyday. You don’t need to do laundry and clean and cook for me.”


“I want to contribute! And you’re usually seeing me when I sleep! You always come in so late!”


“You make it sound like I’m a ert - watching you as you sleep.” Shaking his head, Yifan dug into his breakfast. Still not fully awake, he reached for the spoon only to end up pushing it off the table. “Aish...clumsy...”


“I got it!”


“No I got it.”


“No, no...I go-” “I got...” Both reaching for the spoon, they bumped heads.


“You okay?!” “Are you okay?!”


Yifan pulled her head forward for an inspection. “Sorryy, you’re good. No bruise.” Lifting her head back up he looked straight at her as dark brown eyes stared into light brown. Yifan’s hand lowered down to her neck as he leaned in, his gaze sliding down to . Her lips parted slightly as she leaned forward as well. Her eyelids slowly drooped close.


*dingggg dongggg*


Both straightened at the noise and realizing the position they were in, moved back from each other.


*dingggg dongggg*


“Coming!!”


“Yifan!”


“Hyung! Noona! Come in. Changmin hyung and Sooyoung noona are here,” he called as he ushered them into the apartment, the trio then heading to the kitchen.


“Jes- I mean Sooyeon! How are you?” Sooyoung went forward for a hug.


“Unnie, oppa...what are you two doing here so early?”


“Sooyoung just wanted to come by and see you. We’re headed to the market.”


“Thanks unnie, oppa too.”


“Of course Je-...Sooyeon.” Yifan led Changmin to the table where they settled down to chat. Sooyoung helped Sooyeon with the tea.


“How ARE you feeling? I haven’t seen you in a week,” Sooyoung stared worriedly at her friend. Since Sooyeon had left home over 5 months ago Sooyoung had taken it upon herself to meet up with the younger girl at least once a week. Then 3 months after Sooyeon started living with Yifan, it just so happened that Sooyoung was called to Tokyo for a month-long project. During that time, Sooyeon received an email from Krystal saying the family was returning to the States. Hearing the story from Changmin and Yifan, Sooyoung heard Yifan had come home to find Sooyeon curled in a ball on the floor, crying her heart out. It turns out she had gone home to the apartment only to find it sold and already emptied for a week. She emailed Krystal to find out more information but she received a formal reply telling her to not contact them again as they no longer recognized her as their daughter. For several days she was a weeping mess, staying in bed and barely eating.


Only after Yifan brought her to visit the orphanage did she start eating and stop spontaneously crying. Realizing her parents abandoned her, but she still had the people around her who wanted her to be happy. Sooyeon decided to follow her own path in life. She asked Yifan and everyone around her to stop calling her Jessica and call her by her Korean name (Sooyeon). Born Jung Sooyeon, her parents had changed her name to Jessica when they moved to the US, but she no longer wanted to be called by the name her parents had chosen.


Now 2 months after the incident, Sooyoung still worried about how Sooyeon was handling everything.


“I’m fine unnie. I’m keeping busy...work passes quickly and then there’s doing chores around the apartment so I’m good.”


“You’ll call me if you need anything?”


“Of course...oh! The laundry should be done.” She ran out of the kitchen and into the bathroom, Sooyoung following behind to find her pulling pants from the dryer.


“You’re becoming so wife-like,” Sooyoung teased.


“Unnie!!” Sooyeon continued to shovel pants into the laundry basket. Edging past Sooyoung she went into the bedroom and started to fold the clothes.


“Is Yifan still sleeping on the couch? I thought you were going to get another bed in here.”


“It’s already a queen-sized bed, there wouldn’t be any room for another bed. I volunteered to sleep on the sofa but Yifan wouldn’t hear of it.”


“Can he fit his 6 something frame on that couch?”


“Uhm....yeah....he sleeps on the right and I sleep on the left...”


“Of what...of the bed!?”


“Yeah...?” Sooyeon kept her gaze on the hanger as she carefully hung up her jeans.


“You two should just date, you know...you’re perfect for each other.”


Sooyeon didn’t answer but she recalled the earlier incident and her face flushed.


“Eyyy, why is your face so red?”


“It’s just really warm...unnie hand me that pair of pants.”


“Here...are you thinking of Yifan?”


“Unnie!!!”


“You are!! You wouldn’t be freaking out so much otherwise!”


“Unnie,” Sooyeon whined.


“No worries, I won’t say anything to him. Changminnn~” Sooyoung called for her husband as she left the bedroom.


Stopping momentarily Sooyeon leaned her head against the open closet door. She remembered Yifan’s hand on her neck, urging her closer to him. She hid her face with the pants, embarrassed.


“Stop thinking dirty thoughts about Yifan and come out to say bye.”


“UNNIE!!”