I'm Home

The Woman I Love

“Ahjumma, ahjusshi!”

 

“Oh Sooyeon, how are you?”

 

“I’m good. I came by to pick up the forms we sent over last week.”

 

A knock sounded on the door. One of the workers came in and apologizing asked for Mrs. Cho’s help.

 

“Ah yes, honey can you get them? They’re in the left hand drawer of the desk.” She followed the worker out of the office.

 

Mr. Cho found the papers and handed them to Sooyeon. Looking through them quickly to ensure all the information was filled out, she then placed them carefully in her folder. “How are the children doing?”

 

“They’re doing well. We’re becoming well-known now for specifically taking in children with long-term illnesses but we’ve had to turn some children away.”

 

“You don’t want to expand?”

 

Mr. Cho sighed, “It would be nice to expand and be able to bring in all the children who need us, but we’re afraid we wouldn’t be able to give as much attention then to each child. You know that aside from a few part-time workers and volunteers, it’s mostly Mrs. Cho and I taking care of everything.”

 

“And you’re both doing such a great job, several of our donors are really impressed with the progress you make with the children.”

 

“Thank you Sooyeon, that means a lot to us.”

 

After chatting a little longer, Sooyeon stepped in to say goodbye to the children. They clamored for her to play with them longer but the adults reminded them that Sooyeon had already played with them when she first arrived. Promising to visit again, Sooyeon left the orphanage and headed to the office. Entering the paperwork into the computer she spent the next half hour putting the numbers into the presentation deck.

 

“Oh Manager Jung, you’re here?”

 

“Ah President Lee, I came back after going to pick up the forms from the various orphanages.”

 

“Right, we have the presentation to the investors next week. Is the presentation complete?”

 

“I have two-thirds of it done. I just input all the answers from our surveys and I have to run an analysis still.”

 

“Sounds good. But go home, it’s Saturday. I’m sure you have things to do at home.”

 

“I just want to finish this part and then I’ll leave.”

 

“Okay, have a good weekend.”

 

“You too. Bye.”

 

Sooyeon continued working a bit longer before shutting everything down and leaving the office. As she walked down the block to the subway station, her phone rang. “Ah unnie!”

 

“Sooyeon, where are you?”

 

“I just left work.”

 

“Yah it’s Saturday! Why are you at work?”

 

“Unnie! We have a big presentation next week and I want to get as much work done before Yifan comes back.”

 

“You are such an overachiever...when’s he coming back again?”

 

“Next week, you’ll come over for dinner?”

 

“Of course, I’ll bring a dish too. Ahh, I have to get off. Mina is crying.”

 

“You go be a mom. Give my goddaughter a kiss for me!”

 

Sooyeon continued the rest of her commute home, planning for the rest of her weekend. She then thought ahead to the following weekend when Yifan was finally coming home. Three years with her in Seoul and him in New York were hard but she took time off to see him at least every other month. Him being a fellow meant he couldn’t take extended vacations so it fell on her to make the long trek to see him. But their over ten year friendship was a strong base for their new relationship and the time passed quickly. With the end of his fellowship program, Yifan applied for and was offered a position in Samsung Medical Center. Sooyeon was excited to have Yifan back in Seoul.

 

“Just one more week Sooyeon, you can last one more week,” she muttered to herself as she keyed in the code for the front door. Stepping into the dark room she fumbled for the lights wondering when she shut the curtains. The lights flickered on, revealing a bouquet of flowers sitting on the coffee table. Stepping closer she bent to pick up the flowers but jumped when she felt a pair of arms wrap around her waist. A pair of lips rested by her ear whispering, “I’m home.”

 

Sooyeon smiled and turning in the embrace, wrapped her own arms around Yifan. “Welcome home.”