Making New Memories

The Woman I Love

“Does this place look familiar?”

 

“Isn’t this...” Sooyeon whipped her head back and forth, “but..it’s too far...Yifan?”

 

Yifan pulled her to the storefront, “It’s not the one we frequented in college, but it’s under the same owners. I saw it when I passed by on my lunch hour.”

 

“Can we go in?”

 

“Well I didn’t bring you here to just stare in the window.” Yifan pulled open the door and ushered her in. The two sat down and ordered a slice each of chocolate cheesecake and coffee-cake along with two cups of herbal tea. Sooyeon admired the cafe’s decor and while not exactly the same, the place carried a familiar nostalgia about it that reminded her of college.

 

Their order came and they snacked on the desserts. Yifan scooped a piece of cheesecake and offered it to Sooyeon, only to stick the fork into his own mouth. He playfully stuck his tongue out at her as she pouted.  “I thought you’re taking care of me today. Teasing me with dessert isn’t being very caring.”

 

“And you dislike me hovering excessively.”

 

“But...it’s dessert!!”

 

Yifan chuckled, “Fine, here.” He scooped a forkful and brought it to Sooyeon’s mouth. She accepted the peace offering and glared with her eyes, daring him to withdraw his hand. Happily chewing she didn’t notice Yifan inching forward until he pressed a light kiss on her lips.

 

“Yifan~ah, there’s people!”

 

“And I want them to know you’re a very special person to me.”

 

Sooyeon blushed at his words. Yifan smiled at her reddening face and sitting back in his seat, was startled when Sooyeon suddenly leaned forward and kissed him. “Now they know you’re special to me too.”

 

“Well...ahem...” Yifan cleared his throat. “To celebrate being special, should we order something else? You devoured the coffee cake.”

 

“I like coffee flavor!”

 

“Should we get another slice then?”

 

“No...let’s try something else.”

 

“How about the fudge mocha cake? Let’s see if they make it as well as the other store does.”

 

“Remember how we always ordered it after finding out how delicious it is?”

 

“I also recall you devouring your share and then eating a good chunk of mine!”

 

“But, it was sooo good! Plus you always ordered another slice anyways so you got your share.”

 

“Yeah yeah...I’ll go order it up at the counter. I need to use the restroom anyways.”

 

“Okay!” Sooyeon scraped away at the remains of Yifan’s cheesecake, enjoying the flavors. As a worker cleared their empty plates, Yifan returned. “So I caved and ordered two plates.”

 

“Who’s the pig now?”

 

“I have my reasons!” Yifan tried defending himself. Seeing the disbelief in her eyes, he continued, “Really! After all how could I offer the ring without asking the question?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Jung Sooyeon, the last time we sat in a cafe like this, we were best friends. Then you chose to be with me for three years even though I was so far away. For taking that chance, thank you. You have been my best friend through so many memories.”

 

“Yifan...”

 

“But now, in this cafe I want to start new memories with you. You are my best friend and the love of my life.” Running his hand through his hair, he took both her hands in his and held them out of the way as a plate was set down on the table. It held an opened jewelry box sitting where the whipped cream should have been, next to the slice of cake. A diamond sparkled in its setting on a thin white-gold band.

 

Another plate was placed by Yifan’s elbow. Releasing one of her hands, Yifan pushed the second plate toward Sooyeon. “Would you make me the happiest man in the world? Be my wife Jung Sooyeon?”

 

Sooyeon looked down at the plate to see the message ‘Will you marry me?’ piped out in chocolate icing. She covered with her free hand, shocked by the sudden event. The seconds dragged on for Yifan as he watched his girlfriend’s attention shift back and forth between the ring and the message.

 

“Uhm...Sooyeon~ah.”

 

“Yifan~ah,” she looked at him, tears b and threatening to spill any second, and nodded. “Yes, yes!”

 

 


Thank you @ForeverJessica for the upvote! ^^