New York

The Woman I Love

 

Thank you @Jermainey for the upvote!! 

I really have no excuse for why this chapter wasn't up in the 3 days. I've been kindof holed up rereading and rewatching Harry Potter =P so Yifan and Sooyeon were kindof forgotten

Hopefully you'll enjoy this chapter!! 


 

“Dr. Wu!”

 

Yifan finished speaking with the nurse and turned around to face his colleague. “Yes Dr. Choi?”

 

“I forgot to let you know in the meeting but the patient’s family wants a copy of the tests we perform and results. Basically everything we do during the course of treatment, they want a copy of it.”

 

“Got it...I’ll be sure to have a copy of the test results provided for them.”

 

“What tests will you be performing tomorrow?”

 

Yifan held in a groan. “Dr. Choi we just spent an hour and a half with the nurses and other team members discussing this as well as the treatment plan.”

 

“Yeah, but I didn’t catch all of it. Can you go through it again?”

 

Yifan started to turn away. “I’m sorry but I have other patients to see to tonight. I don’t have time.” Before the other doctor could say anything further, Yifan quickly walked away. Ever since the fellowship program had started, Dr. Choi had taken to following Yifan around. At first Yifan was fine with the other man, but came to quickly realize that Dr. Choi had gotten into the program due to connection alone - his father was head of the anesthesiologist department - and had actually no real skill or knowledge that could justify him being in such a prestigious program. He kept asking Yifan to explain things over and over again and anything he couldn’t understand when around their colleagues, he would go search out Yifan for the answer.

 

Yifan finally filled his schedule up with appointments, consults and surgeries so he didn’t have the time to deal with the incompetent doctor. But that left him with a packed day, leaving little time for a breather inbetween appointments. He loved what his work meant, but he missed having someone waiting for him at the end of the long day, he missed Sooyeon. Since arriving in New York, he hadn’t been able to talk with her over the phone but exchanged a few emails. He hoped she was doing well and was comforted knowing that Sooyoung noona would be there for her.

 

His mind was pulled away from thinking about Sooyeon as he entered the ICU. Checking on the patient he had operated on earlier in the day, he stopped by the nursing station to jot down some notes. “Dr. Wu?”

 

He looked up from the computer screen, “Yes?”

 

The middle-aged nurse passed him a chart, “Dr. Klein was by earlier. He left you a message on your phone but in case you didn’t see it, he said to pass along this chart to you.”

 

“Okay, thank you Meredith.” Yifan pulled out his phone and listened to the voicemail asking him to put in an order for some bloodwork after 8pm.

 

Finding the time to be 8:20. Yifan put in the order and left a note in the order to have the results sent up to the nursing station as soon as they became available. Going through his phone again, Yifan opened his email inbox to find several emails waiting for him - the latest from Sooyeon. About to open the email, his pager went off.

 

Three hours later Yifan collapsed onto his bed. He rolled his face into the pillow and thought about just falling asleep right then and there. The thought lingered for a moment before he got up and took a quick shower, boiled water for ramen and picked up his clothes, dumping them into his hamper that was currently overflowing with two weeks’ worth of dirty laundry.

 

He gulped down the ramen in 5 minutes before sliding into bed just before midnight. About to fall asleep he suddenly remembered Sooyeon’s email. ‘Sooyeon is coming!’ he thought happily, but her post script worried him. ‘Maybe she met someone since I left...but I asked her not to! Maybe she doesn’t want to wait three years just in case she does meet someone...maybe...’ For the next hour he kept thinking up situations and possible explanations for Sooyeon wanting to talk until he finally passed out from exhaustion.

 

The alarm rang at 5am and as with every morning, a loud groan soon followed as an arm waved haphazardly over the night table trying to silence the noise. Yifan pulled the blankets off his head and sat up. Rubbing his hair he stumbled to the kitchen to set up the coffee maker. As the liquid brewed, he wandered into the bathroom to wash up. Since he had no surgeries planned for the day, he dressed in a collared shirt and tie. In 30 minutes he was out the door and walking down the block to the hospital.

 

Going through the night shift notes on his patients, he went around on his own to check on them. At 8, he met up with the other fellows, residents and nurses to go on morning rounds. Yifan then joined Dr. Hoffman on a consult that lasted until 11. Coming out of the meeting room he checked his pager and phone for any missed calls. Seeing a voicemail he listened as Sooyoung’s voice was heard through the phone. “Yifan! I hope you’re doing well! Just passing along the message in case you haven’t had the chance to check your email, Sooyeon is arriving in New York. It should be about 10am your time. She should be getting in soon to JFK and she’ll find you afterwards. Bye!”

 

“Augh...Sooyeon is coming...” Yifan ran through his day quickly in his mind, hoping no spontaneous emergencies would arise. For the rest of the day Yifan kept checking his phone in case Sooyeon contacted him. Only as his shift started to wind down at 7pm did a text come through. ‘Yifan, I’m at Cafe One, across the street from your apartment building. I’ll be here until they close at 12am.’

 

Yifan checked on his patients once more and putting in orders for tests, left the hospital an hour later. He ran down the block to the cafe and entering, immediately spotted Sooyeon in the back corner. He ran over, apologizing as soon as he approached the table. “I’m sorry. I was in the middle of evening rounds and had to fill out some orders first. It took me awhile.”

 

Sooyeon smiled, “It’s okay. I knew you’d be busy. Two weeks is so long.” She reached out and the two hugged, enjoying seeing each other after two weeks of communication limited to email.

 

Yifan ordered pasta and herbal tea before sitting down across from Sooyeon. They chatted briefly about her flight and he told her about his day, complaining about Dr. Choi who had managed to sit through an hour meeting on a leukemia patient and at the end, ask about a non-existent heart condition. Sooyeon waited for Yifan to devour his meal, having already eaten while waiting for him.

 

As soon as the waiter took away his empty plate, Sooyeon sat up straighter. “Yifan....”

 

“Mm?”

 

“You asked me before you left to wait for you...”

 

Yifan felt a lump begin to form in his throat, “Uh huh...”

 

“You’ve been gone two weeks and I thought that no matter what, I should tell you in-person. You have been my best friend for so long and you’ve stood by me through so much, you’ve supported me in all my decisions - in everything I’ve wanted to do.”

 

“Uh huh....” The lump started to grow even larger as Yifan tried to swallow it down.

 

“Yifan...I don’t think I can wait three years.”

 

 


I realized I probably could have condensed this chapter but I couldn't figure out what exactly to cut out so it all stayed!