Just Friends? (XiuChen)

From Up Above - dropped -
From Up Above

Chapter 7 - Just Friends?


"So are you two a couple?" asks Lay. My ears perk up at the mention of ‘couple’. This should be interesting. Xiumin and Chen look at each other, faces set in mock horror.
"Haha no way! We're just best friends," they reply in unison, grinning at their synchronized response. They high-fived, and I rolled my eyes at the cute immature duo.
"I'm sure they'll be together soon enough," whispers Suho into Lay's ear. Lay giggled (whilst I fangirled over the closeness of the two), earning confused looks from Xiumin and Chen. I couldn’t agree more though. People THAT close are bound to end up together, one day or another.

“You guys might not believe us…” Chen started off in a mysterious voice.

“But if you knew the things we did about each other…” They both pretended to shiver in fear as Xiumin finished off his dongsaeng’s words. Yeah, totally nothing going on there.

 

After a few more minutes of teasing Xiumin and Chen, who were retorting comebacks pretty well in defence, Suho looks down at his watch. I noticed that it was getting kind of dark outside too, guess it’s time for the night to arrive.

“Guys, I’m going to send Lay home now,” he said, rising up from his seat.

“What? No, it’s fine. I’m fine,” Lay shook his head, trying to reassure the other that he truly was fine. I face-palmed. This boy! I floated to his side, and whispered urgently in his ear.

“Just let him take you home!” Luckily for me, Suho was persistent too.

“Well, I’m sure you are, but I’m a huge worry-wart that wants to make sure you go home safe,” he replied, flashing that gentle smile of his that melts hearts. I looked over to Lay and noticed the pink bloom of a blush spreading on his cheeks.

“Fine…” He let himself be led by Suho, waving a goodbye to his new friends. I let them go without me; I’m thinking that sticking with Xiumin and Chen would be better for now.

“I’m betting that Suho will kiss Lay on the cheek when he drops him off~” squealed Xiumin.

“Haha, I bet he’ll man up and do it on the lips,” replied Chen. They laughed, wishing for the best (as did I).

I’m gliding over Xiumin and Chen, who are on their way home together (since they’re neighbours). The fact that they’re neighbours would have had me squealing in delight, but the frosting in this cupcake is simply amazing! The way they walk home, holding hands and swinging their joined arms whilst walking REALLY close to each other, is simply squeal-worthy. I notice that everyone is looking at the pair, jealousy burning in their eyes. I guess they really look like a couple, a cute one at that. Chen would occasionally whisper in Xiumin’s ear, and vice versa. How can they deny their love for each other if they’re THIS obvious?

 

While we’re they’re walking (I was still hovering above them), Chen suddenly stopped in his tracks, pulling on his hyung’s sleeve.

“Let’s go on the swings for a while,” he asks cutely. Xiumin laughs at Chen’s insistence, but let’s his dongsaeng pull him over to the swings. They sit themselves side-by-side, and I stand behind them. Once they start swinging, I flap my wings gently, pushing them softly. I guess this time my wings are being out to good use. Remember last time? I ended causing more mess… But these two have happy faces, so I’m happy too.

 

“This is where we first met… You were sobbing on that very swing,” Chen reminisced. I listened in, I’m kind of curious about their past. “When I asked you what was wrong, you tried to ignore me, looking the other way.”

“But that young boy kept asking, and I couldn’t stop him. So I told him everything…” Xiumin’s voice was calm, but I could sense an underlying sadness.

“While crying his eyes out,” Xiumin rolled his eyes at Chen’s words but didn’t deny it, “he told me that the big bad boys had called him names.”

“Fatty.” Xiumin’s voice was flat and Chen flashed him a worried look.

“But I told him otherwise. In my eyes he was, and still is, the yummiest baozi that I’ve ever seen.” Xiumin blushed at Chen’s words, and I found myself smiling at his choice of ‘yummiest baozi’. It leaves nothing for the imagination, does it?

“And just like now, that young baozi blushed. But he wouldn’t believe me.” Chen’s eyes probed into Xiumin’s teary ones.

“But then, I had no choice to believe in him. He told me ‘We’re still kids. We’ll grow out of it, especially if you start working out.’” Xiumin let out a small laugh, wiping away stray tears.

“Of course you couldn’t refuse. I said that we would exercise together. How can you resist this y body of mine?” teased Chen, sticking out his tongue playfully. Immediately, the tension dispersed, replaced by a comfortable silence. The sun was beginning to set, and both turned their attention to the orange and red hues of the sky. In my opinion, this atmosphere just got a lot more romantic…

 

Time for me to do my job. I glide to the space between the two boys, bending down to whisper in both of their ears.
“What if Suho and Lay are right? I mean, falling in love means that the other person knows all about you and you know everything there is to know about them. You said it yourself, no-one knows you guys better than each other…” They both turned to look at each other at the same time, meeting each other’s gazes. Identical blushes appear on their warm cheeks. Wow, these boys are really in sync with each other. I squeal in delight. I mean, they must have had some thoughts in their heads already; there’s no way my words alone made them react that fast. They're moving away from the friend zone and into the phase where they wonder what the other person is to them. And with me as their guardian angel to point them in the right direction, what can go wrong?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXohxG32ZL59qc5zgGvxO
Author's Notes

Please comment to tell me how you liked this chappie~ I appreciate any and all comments <3 Be they critisms (constructive ones :P) or praises xD

Oh, I've also posted up some SuYeol in a oneshot and KaiSoo will be up soon too, so check them out if you want ^^