Help (SuLay)

From Up Above - dropped -
From Up Above

Chapter 6 - Help (SuLay)


Bang! I cringed as the loud crash resonated throughout the empty hallways, Lay coughing at the harsh impact. The bullies had just pushed him against the lockers and tugged on his hair, pulling him closer.

“You should learn to stay in that -hole you came from… This place is for Koreans, not trash like you,” jeered their leader. In response, Lay spat in their faces, not willing to back down. I watched in terror, unable to do anything. It's not like I can just pull them off him, I'm invisible and not solid; I'm made of spirit and soul…

They wipe off Lay’s spit, wiping their hands across their faces, which were seething with anger.

“I don’t think you understand.” The bully gritted his teeth, speaking very slowly. “I know your Korean is terrible and you probably have no idea what I’m saying, so let me punish you in a way that is very clear.” A quick slap to Lay’s face sent another whiplash echoing throughout the hallways. However, Lay made no sound. I’ve got to admit, this boy is super stubborn…

 

“What the hell are you doing?!” the stern yell of a male could be heard from the other side of the hallway. “Get the off him before I decide to get you guys expelled!” threatened the boy. The bullies exchanged looks, clearly terrified of this boy…. With a last glare at Lay, the roughly push him away, trying to act tough right up to the last minute. But the fact that they ran away like cowards had me looking at them in disdain. Lay looked at his saviour, his eyes giving away his curiosity at the stranger’s kindness.

“I’m Suho,” he said with a gentle smile. “You must be Lay, or Yixing if you’d prefer; our new exchange student.” Lay nodded, too mesmerized to speak. I chuckled at his shy demeanour, a complete opposite to the side he displayed just a few seconds ago. Just as Suho was making a move to leave, Lay spoke up.

“Uhm- Thank you for saving me,” he spoke slowly. It seemed like he was having a hard time forming coherent sentences in a foreign language whilst being distracted by the boy in front of him.

“You’re welcome,” replied Suho, who had turned in his tracks and walked over to Lay once more. He flashed his signature eye-smile, and I could see that Lay allowed himself to relax slightly.

“If you’d like to, I want to thank you for saving me by getting you a drink or something,” mumbled Lay, too embarrassed to look up.

“Okay, I’ll meet you by the gates later,” said Suho. He started walking away again - it was time for class – and I fist-pumped the air in celebration. A date! I didn’t do anything and the two are already going on a date! (I know they didn’t say it was a date… but a guardian angel can dream right?!)

 

Suddenly, Lay collapses on to the floor, his legs giving way. I gasped as Suho rapidly turned around, dashing over.

"Are you okay?” worry in his voice. Suho offers a hand to help Lay stand up and I rush over to the two. But it’s not like I could help Suho lift Lay up….

"I don't think you'll last till the end of the day," said Suho.
"I'm fine." Lay tries to gently pry away Suho’s fingers, which were holding him up tightly.
"No." Suho suddenly lifts Lay onto his back effortlessly and piggybacks him out of school.
"Where are we going??" asked Lay, panic in his voice. It looked like he didn’t dare try to get off Suho’s back; either in fear of being dragged back on, or maybe he just enjoyed it… (I’m hoping it’s the second)
"To the café," came the calm reply.
"What about school?" Who cares about school?? You’re with a hot guy~
"There's only two periods left," reasoned Suho.

 

After 15 minutes or so, the two boys finally made it to the café. As I was flying above them, I had to wonder how Suho could carry the Chinese on his back without needing to take a rest or put him down at all. I guess he must be hiding some muscle in that uniform… Suho let Lay get down just before entering the café and I could hear the soft twinkling of bells as they entered. Suho waved to the waiter, ordering two iced lemon teas for the both of them.

"But I was supposed to pay! I wanted to say thank you..." Lay furrowed his eyebrows, upset that he didn’t get to thank Suho properly. To be honest though, I just wanted to go over there and squeeze those cheeks of his! They look so pinch-able when he’s pouting.
"It's fine" said Suho, flashing his signature smile for the second time today, and Lay backed down willingly. I would if I got to see that smile…


“So what happened back there?” Suho asked, curious but not wanting to push the other. Lay just shrugged.

“I don’t know what I ever did… I think it’s because I transferred here from the sister school in China and my Korean is kind of bad…” Lay mumbled.

“I don’t think your Korean is that terrible,” Lay looked up at Suho in surprise, “I mean, we’re talking right now, right?” They both laughed, feeling more comfortable with each other. And here I am, staring at the two like I was watching the best romcom ever… Thank god I’m invisible!

 

“How did you know who I was?” asked Lay. I guess he finally realized that Suho had told him his name, instead of him introducing himself.

“Oh, I’m the Head Boy of the school,” he shrugs, “So I pretty much know everyone.” I remember the slip of paper said something about Suho being the head of the student council; it makes sense considering his responsible nature. It also makes sense that the bullies were so scared of him; he actually did have the power to expel them. I looked at Lay and it seemed that he understood that too.

 

After a while, the two boys were joined by two others. Lay looked up at them curious at the boys who greeted Suho with hugs.

“Lay, this is Xiumin and Chen. They were exchange students that went to the sister branch in Korea.” The three boys exchanged greetings in Chinese.

“Wow, you’re Chinese is amazing!” complimented Lay, still speaking in his native tongue. Xiumin and Chen laughed, posing identically, their hands cheerfully doing thumbs-up. I'm just glad that I can understand every language on earth; it's just something that guardian angels are able to do. If not, it'd be difficult to deal with my multilingual humans...

Whilst the others are chatting in Chinese, Suho pouts.
"Guys... I don't understand anything~" Everyone else laughs at his expression, and soon he joins them. I notice a slight blush creeping up on Lay's cheeks as Suho moves closer to him, and I'm sure it didn't go unnoticed by Suho. Yay! They reverted back to Korean to include Suho, and it seems that Lay is finally enjoying himself. I’m glad it all worked out after being beaten up like that. I zoned out once more (I do that a lot don’t I?) letting the cosy conversation fill my ears.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXohxG32ZL59qc5zgGvxO
Author's Notes

I'm updating pretty steadily nowadays *cheers* And thank you to all my lovely subbies <3 I've reached 50+ subbies in total and more people are commenting, which makes me extremely happy :D 

So please don't be scared to comment :) Enjoy the chappie~

(Please excue Kris photobombing the love birds :3)