The Offer

The Prince's Fiancé

 

“Sungmin, I am sorry for being such a burden to you.” Heechul, Sungmin’s cousin, said in a weak voice. 
 
 
Sungmin grabbed his cousin’s hand and shook his head. “No, hyung. You will never be a burden to me. You are my only family, and I am more than glad to help you. I can never repay you for everything you had done to me.”
 
 
“The doctor said that my operation would be next week.” Heechul whispered in a sad tone.
 
 
“You don’t have to worry. I found another part time job and they had given me an advance payment. All you need to do is get well, hyung.” Sungmin replied with a smile on his face.
 
 
“What kind of job? I hope it doesn’t involve with working in a night club, like that ert Soo Man had offered you before.” Heechul said in an angry tone, making Sungmin chuckled. 
 
 
“Nothing of that sort.” Sungmin replied and looked at his wristwatch. “I got to go, hyung.”
 
 
“Take care of yourself, Sungmin.”
 
 
Sungmin nodded his head before heading out of the room where his cousin is admitted. 
 
 
Sungmin’s parents died after a car accident since he was still a kid. Heechul’s parents were the one who took care of him, but they also died just like how Sungmin’s parents were taken away from him. It was Heechul who stood and acted like a real parent to him. He gave up studying and worked different kind of jobs just to support the two of them.
 
 
Just a month ago, Heechul was continuously suffering from severe stomach pain and would not even eat regularly. It made Sungmin worried that he looked for more part time jobs just to convince his cousin to visit a doctor, making him meet a erted old man who offered him a high salary if he will work as a stripper in his club. Heechul was enraged after finding out the old man’s offer.
 
 
Cholelithiasis, or a gallstone, that’s what the doctor had told them and Heechul should undergo surgery just to remove those stones. The doctor advised Heechul to take some proper rest, but his cousin is surely a hard-headed person. He ignored all of the doctor’s advice and continue to work hard, making him loss his consciousness after experiencing severe pain at work.
 
 
Despite Heechul’s protest, he was admitted to the hospital and Sungmin continued on working hard to earn money for his cousin’s hospitalization and scheduled operation.
 
 
Sungmin sighed and looked at the starry sky. It was a very busy day at the restaurant that he was currently working at. He was thankful that the owner agreed to give him his advance payment, but it was still not enough for the operation. Where in the world will he find the money that he needed for his cousin? Soo Man’s offer is very tempting. He immediately shook his head after remembering what the work is. No, he just can’t do it and Heechul would definitely kill the old man if he finds out. Heechul is a very protective cousin and Sungmin knows that he will rather choose to suffer than allow him to work in that old man’s club.
 
 
After helping the owner of the restaurant in cleaning, Sungmin bid him goodbye and hurriedly headed home.
 
 
He was about to cross the street, when he heard a faint cry from a distance. He furrowed his brows and quietly walked to where the sound was coming from.
 
 
“P-please… Help me. Somebody help me.” 
 
 
It’s a woman’s voice and Sungmin has a bad feeling of what was going on.
 
 
“There’s nobody here who would help you, sweetheart. You are all alone.” One of the men said and smirked before grabbing the lady’s waist. The man’s companion snickered after watching the helpless expression of the lady in his friend’s arms.
 
 
“We are so lucky to have a pretty lady roaming around in this street to ourselves.” The other man said as he caressed the lady’s cheek. “We will play some pretty games with you.”
 
 
Before they could proceed further in touching the lady, Sungmin called their attention.
 
 
“erted guys like you should be taught a lesson.” Sungmin said as he stood behind the two men.
 
 
The men glared at him and immediately threw punches towards his direction. Sungmin silently thanked that he knew some taekwondo moves after working as a cleaner in the gym where he observes the students training with their coach.
 
 
The two men soon fell on the ground, and Sungmin was left with some bruises on his face, but he still won over them. The lady immediately went towards him and examined his wounds.
 
 
“We need to treat those wounds and bruises of yours. Come with me.” The lady said and grabbed his hands before walking towards a parked car. Sungmin was speechless and confused. He was confused when he saw two men in black standing outside of the car and whispered something at the lady’s ear. 
 
 
How come these two men did not hear the lady’s plea before? They are just a few miles away from where the scene happened. He looked at the lady and saw that she was wearing an elegant dress, something that is not very suitable to wear when you are just strolling around the streets.
 
 
An old man suddenly went out of the car and looked at him. Sungmin became shy suddenly as he noticed the gaze that the old man is giving him. He was just hoping that this old guy is not like those erted old men that he had met.
 
 
To Sungmin’s surprise, the old man hit the lady’s head, making her groan in pain. “You are so troublesome, Seohyun! What would happen if this young man did not arrive on time?”
 
 
“I told you that I don’t like being kept inside the house, Grandpa!” The lady named Seohyun answered and crossed her arms.
 
 
The old man looked at Sungmin again and smiled. “Thank you for saving my granddaughter. What can I do in order to repay your kindness?”
 
 
Sungmin was about to speak, but Seohyun excitedly called the old man’s attention. “I know! Why not give him the job that will help my dear cousin?”
 
 
The old man’s smile grew wider and Sungmin can feel that something’s not good is about to happen.
 
 
“Do you want a job, young man?” The old man asked him.
 
 
Sungmin smiled. “You don’t have to give me anything after saving your granddaughter, Sir. You don’t have to worry because we should always help someone when they are in trouble, even if they are strangers.”
 
 
There was a sudden glint in the old man’s eyes. “You are very kind. I won’t give you anything, but I would like to ask a favor from you. Since you said that we should help someone, I will take no as an answer for this one.”
 
 
“W-what is it, Sir?” Sungmin asked.
 
 
“Actually, my daughter is looking for a butler. And I happened to meet you today after saving my granddaughter. We need someone whom we can trust, and you are more than qualified for that job. I guarantee that you will receive a very good salary.” The old man replied with a gentle smile on his face.
 
 
Thinking about Heechul, Sungmin immediately accepted the job. The old man even promised to give him an advance payment. But the price is he needed to stop studying and concentrate more on his upcoming job. He knew Heechul would oppose, but he doesn’t have any other choice. His cousin would be operated soon, and he needed the money.
 
 
Before bidding goodbye, the old man gave him the address of the house where he will be working. Sungmin made up his mind that he will attend his class tomorrow for the last time, before working as a butler.