eleven

Butterfly on Your Right Shoulder

Chapter 11

 

Changjo watched silently from his place on the couch as half of his group crowded around the dorm entrance.

 

“Daniel… Don’t go,” C.A.P pleaded as Niel and Ricky were in the enterance putting on his shoes.

 

“Minsoo don’t worry it’s ok,” Niel said, finishing tying his shoes and straitening up. “Nothing’s going to happen and Ricky’s with me.”

 

C.A.P’s eyes drifted down as his taller, leaner boyfriend linked his arm with their visual maknae’s, before looking up to see Ricky smiling apologetic at him.

 

“Hyung, we’ll be back soon. We might not even accept the deal anyway,” Ricky said, voice wavering enough to show he didn’t have much confidence in his words.

 

“Come on boys. They’re already waiting at the building for us,” the manager said, sticking his head back into the dorm.

 

“Coming!” Niel said.

 

He pulled Ricky out the door and as soon as the door clicked shut C.A.P uttered a curse before turning around, glaring at everyone left in the room.

 

“Hyung said we have to clean,” Chunji said from his place on the floor.

 

“I didn’t make this mess,” C.A.P growled before walking off and disappearing into his room, slamming the door as he did so.

 

Chunji sighed and L.Joe wordlessly patted his back as he stood before turning to the maknae.

 

“I guess it’s just us then, huh?” the mischievous rapper grinned like a kitten.

 

Changjo sighed, “I really don’t get what’s going on around here.”

He moved to start cleaning some toys and under items from the living room floor. They worked in silence putting everything away and eventually L.Joe and Chunji were chatting and playing around to the point that Changjo was doing most of the work.

 

He did his best to ignore them. If they wanted to play around then that was on them but he wasn’t about to get in trouble with manager just because all of his hyungs were idiots. If manager came back and the place wasn’t clean they would risk getting their phones or ipads taken away and if there was one thing Changjo hated it was being treated like a kid. Although he was still yet to come of age that didn’t mean he would be content being treated like a baby!

 

On top of that though, Changjo was mad at L.Joe. Of course, he knew that hyung didn’t suspect a thing, especially the way he had his arm slung around Ricky’s shoulder during their meeting. Was Changjo’s death glare not strong enough? Maybe he should make a note to work on it. He had to get more intimidating. Apparently his superior masculinity was not enough to spook a chicken such as his L.Joe hyung.

 

Really, L.Joe wasn’t supposed to be a competition. L.Joe was a bit of a loner but as time passed he also came to be awkwardly clingy, pushing chunjoe, nieljoe, rickjoe changjoe, ccapjoe, every single joe onto the world. But Changjo didn’t think it was anything to worry about. Ricky knew the meaning of fanservice, right?

 

So why!? Why did it feel like to Changjo he was losing? Images of Ricky and L.Joe curled up in bed together plagued his mind and burned onto his retinas! Why couldn’t he leave Ricky alone?

 

Ricky’s praises to L.Joe reverberated through Changjo’s mind against his will.

 

“Wah! He’s so manly and cool!”
“That’s my L.Joe hyung!”
 

Ricky was young, impressionable and naïve! Changjo should have known that the slightly older boy would fall for any “cool” guy who showed him attention.

 

Was Changjo not cool enough? Changjo was taller than L.Joe. He had more muscles than L.Joe, and he thought he had a more manly personality than L.Joe. What more could Ricky want?

 

“I’m not gay.”

 

Ok, so there was that. So did that mean Changjo just had to accept that because Ricky wasn’t gay he’d have to lose to L.Joe who had a girl’s body, a girl’s height and girl’s clothes? Changjo let out a growl of frustration and grabbed at his hair before turning and glaring at his hyungs were were still playing around behind him.

 

“Can you two for once act like the hyungs here and help me clean?” Changjo snapped.

 

Chunji and L.Joe turned to regard their dongsaeng, bright smiles on their faces faltering just a bit upon seeing the sheer loathing written across their youngest’s features. They started cleaning as well.

 

“I’ll get the broom,” L.Joe said and ran off.

 

Once L.Joe was gone Chunji started using a rag to wipe dust off the TV. They worked in silence even when L.Joe returned and began sweeping the floor.

 

“Hey, hyung,” Changjo began.

 

“Yeah?” Chunji said, not looking up from what he was doing.

 

“You had a lot of girl friends right?”

 

Chunji chuckled, “A few.”

 

“How did you know they liked you? How did you get them to date you?” Changjo asked.

 

“Do you like someone?” Chunji asked.

 

“Maybe.”

 

“Who?” inquired Chunji, a glint of playfulness lighting up in his eyes.

 

If Changjo were smart he’d drop the subject all together but he had his reasons for bringing up. He had to stake his claim while he could and show L.Joe he wasn’t the boss.

 

“It’s Changhyun,” Changjo answered, voice not wavering a bit. “I really like him so I want to know how to get through to him.”

 

Changjo noticed from the corner of his eye that L.Joe had frozen half way into sweeping some dirt into the dust pan, his head turning just slightly towards the conversation.

 

“I knew it! I knew it!” Chunji cheered.

 

“Really hyung, why must you cheer over this? As it is now I’m really in trouble. I think he might like someone else more than me.”

 

Chunji just looked more amused at that and quirked his eyes up, “Really? If there is anyone he would see like that I think it’s you.”

 

It was then that L.Joe spoke up, little pile of dirt now forgotten.

 

“Hey,” he said. “Don’t you think we have other things to worry about than that now?”

 

Changjo turned to face L.Joe fully now, “And why is that? Why do I have to ignore my feelings when everyone else seems to be free to express theirs?”

 

“That’s not what he was saying and you know that,” Chunji said, coming to L.Joe’s defense.

 

“Then how did he mean it then?” Changjo challenged. “I’m sick and tired of it and even though Ricky sometimes acts like a big baby he’s tired of it too. We’re tired of being treated differently because we’re the youngest. And Daniel, he just gets a pass because he’s ing the leader, huh? Whatever. I’m tired of it.”

 

With that Changjo turned his back to L.Joe and Chunji and continued to clean with exaggerated movements showing his aggravation.

 

“Wow, really, Jonghyun? Is that really what you want to say to me. I’ve never once treated you like a kid. I said it before but we’re a free group. Sorry if you don’t think I want you approaching Changhyun because you’re too young. I don’t care if you date, but dating within the band? You know as well as I do how messy that is. But hey, if you want to add more mess into this situation than so be it,” L.Joe said. “Just don’t come crying to us when you find out everything isn’t so sunny and beautiful in the real world.”

 

Changjo’s fist clenched as he turned and glared, “Yeah? Well how am I even supposed to know how messy it is when you don’t tell me . I don’t know and Changhyun doesn’t know. What are we supposed to do? Just ignore and bottle how I feel? Stop trying to be so innocent when you go around monopolizing his time, trying to act so cool around him, and touching so goddamn much! I know it’s because you like him too, hyung!”

 

There was a silence in the air as Changjo finished spouting the words on his chest. Chunji was too shocked to even say anything and it was L.Joe who reacted first but not in the way Changjo expected. He expected L.Joe to look guilty, or caught, or even to try denying it, but he wasn’t expecting the older member to laugh. But there it was, L.Joe was laughing.

 

It was a slight chuckle at first, but built until a full fit of laughter and L.Joe doubled over, his face scrunching up in amusement.

 

“Really?” L.Joe asked, sitting back up. “Really? Me in love with Changhyun? If you weren’t so busy worrying about getting with him you’d realize that I treat him the same as I treat everyone else and you’d also realize that getting with anyone is the last thing on his mind right now so don’t take it all out on me.”

 

“Byunghun ah,” Chunji went over to L.Joe and hit him lightly on the shoulder. “Stop it.”

 

He then looked over at Changjo.

 

“Jonghyun, you’re free to like whoever you like. I personally think you and Changhyun would be cute together.”

 

Changjo couldn’t even manage a smile at that but he appreciated it nonetheless, “Thanks hyung.”

-----

 

The ride to the studio was in dead silence. Since it was just the two of them they were riding in manager’s personal car and seated in the backseat. Ricky had a million questions in his mind but was too afraid to voice even one of them. He just knew that he was nervous as ever and his stomach was doing cartwheels all over the place. He wanted to be there for Niel who had already been through a lot but the older boy who was in such a panicked state earlier, seemed completely normal. Ricky felt like he was the one who needed support now. But how was that even possible?

 

Finally manager pulled into the TOP media parking lot. After parking the car the three walked into the building and greeted the receptionist before going into the elevator.

 

“When we get up there just wait until I tell you to come in, ok?” manager said.

 

“Ok, hyung,” Ricky replied.

 

The elevator doors opened and they stepped out.

 

“Just wait right here,” manager instructed. “I’ll check and see if they’re ready.”

 

Manager walked down the hall and knocked on the door of one of the meeting rooms before disappearing inside.

 

Ricky sighed.

 

“Are you nervous?” Niel said, turning and looking at his friend.

 

Ricky looked up at the other, “I don’t know. I don’t know how I feel…”

 

Ricky really wanted to ask how Niel felt but didn’t know anymore which boundaries he was allowed to cross. What was too much?

 

“It’s a good opportunity to get your name out there. I know they’ll love you. Noonas always love you,” Niel said.

 

“Yeah, I guess. And I like SECRET too,” Ricky said.

 

Suddenly a door opened down the hall and Ricky and Niel turned to see some 100% members come out into the hall as well as their old manager, Dongwook. Ricky felt strange just seeing him. He used to get along with their old manager so well, but now that he knew everything he allowed Niel to go through he really didn’t know how he should interact with the other any longer.

 

Without thinking Ricky weaved his arm through Niel’s, pulling him closer towards his chest.

 

“What are you doing?” Niel laughed, trying to pull his arm away but Ricky didn’t let go.

 

“Hey guys!” Rokhyun came running ahead of his bandmates and grabbed Niel’s other arm. “What are you doing here!? Don’t you have filming?”

 

“It got cancelled,” Niel replied just as Sanghoon, Changbum and the manager came.

 

“Hey guys let’s take the stairs. Last one to the bottom loses!” Rocky said as s approached.

 

“Huh? Why?” Sanghoon asked, but Changbum and Rokhyun were already running towards the emergency stairs so he chased after them.

 

Their manager just laughed and shook his head, pressing the button for the elevator and looking at the two TeenTop members left behind.

 

“Hey,” he greeted and Ricky grabbed onto Niel’s arm tighter.

 

“Hey hyung,” greeted Niel.

 

Ricky nodded and said his own greeting.

 

Dongwook really was a good hyung despite in everything and Ricky didn’t understand how it could be possible that this was the man who basically sold their Niel to men. When they were sick it was Dongwook hyung who would risk his own neck and go out in the middle of the night to get medicine. If they wanted chicken he wouldn’t hesitate to order it and he always let the maknaes eat the biggest piece. He didn’t yell at them to clean as much as Siho manager hyung and he didn’t care how loud they were in the van. He used to play with them almost as much as they played with each other and Ricky just really didn’t understand it.

 

“What’s wrong, Changhyun? You’re normally so bubbly. Normally you’d be bouncing all over the place,” the old manager noted with a sincere smile that seemed so natural and Ricky couldn’t help but to warm up to it a bit.

 

“I’m fine hyung,” Ricky told him.

 

“You both look well,” Dongwook manager said.

 

“Thanks hyung,” Ricky was about to reply before the words were caught in his mouth by what happened.

 

Dongwook’s hands were Niel’s hair appraisingly.

 

“You’re keeping it short,” he said.

 

“I—“ Niel began but he wasn’t able to finish.

 

“It looks good,” Dongwook said, his fingers twisting a bit of the hair in between his fingers.

 

Ricky could feel the shiver that ran through Niel’s body and the way the vocalist began to chew on his bottom lip as his eyes slipped closed.

 

“It’s nice,” the manager’s words were a near whisper as his fingers moved down from the hair and Niel’s chin lightly and letting go when the elevator doors opened. He smiled at Ricky, “You look good too, Changhyun.”

 

The friendly smile was back on Dongwook’s face as he then playfully ruffled Ricky’s hair and walked into the waiting elevator.

 

To be continued…

AN- sorry if this chapter is boring. I really wanted to write CHangjo an that's why this chapter took so long to write! But now I know I shouldn't force changjo to be written! haha because that maknae is stubborn and doesn't want me to write him.

the old manager who was working for teentop (in this fictional story) while Niel had his first issues with MNET was Dongwook. The current manager is Siho. For future reference.

anyway it's too late. it's a time nobody is up where I live so I will sleep now. thanks everyoen who read and support this story~!