CH 23: Miracles in December Pt.1

Damn It Mr.Cho *PAUSED*

 

 

 

 

 

CH 23: Miracles in December


Nini opened the door, smiling widely and embracing the man in front of her tightly.

“Someone is getting awfully busy, You haven’t been over in two days.” Nini laughing jokingly to him.

“It seems everything is picking up in the holiday season, but you missed me so much you couldn’t manage two days?” He laughed and walked further into the apartment.

“Do you like it?” Nini asked him noticing how dazed he looked. His eyes were glossed over as he inspected the decorated apartment, fully preened tree and all.

“It looks beautiful….it looks like a home.”

“I just kind of got into the holiday spirit.” Nini grinned and sat on one of her couches, curling her feet up under her. She looked at the man standing in the center of the room, just appreciating all of her work.

“Suho…”

“I’m just taking it all in. My place could never look like this, besides I’ve never decorated for Christmas alone.” Suho laughed lightheartedly.

“What about Jongin and Kyungsoo?” Nini asked, lifting her already brewed tea to her lips.

“Ahhh~ They are going to Jongin’s for Christmas.” Suho sighed and sat down on the second couch to face Nini.

“So, what do I owe you for your visit?” Nini chuckled looking at the very relaxed Suho. He looked exhausted. He had texted her in the last two days explaining how he had tenants moving in, tenants who wanted a new apartment, a larger one and he had to get paperwork pulled up for their transfer. One bought a new kitten who peed on the carpet and ruined it so he had to call in a company to remove and replace the carpeting in their entrance

“mmm, I justed wanted to say hello, in fact I need to get going again.” Suho groaned loudly, looking at his watch.

“Just get some rest tonight.” Over the past month Nini and Suho’s relationship had strengthened. It wasn’t on a friend to friend basis but it wasn’t more than that either. They looked out for one another and it was a feeling she was still adjusting to.

“I will.” He got up and smiled sweetly, his gaze lingering before headed to the door.

“See you later.” Nini called, mentally giggling to herself. She had a plan in mind.

“Bye Nini~” he cooed his farewell before shutting her apartment door.

 

Once he was gone Nini jumped from her coiled seat and sprung into action. Tearing through her drawers for a warm sweater and jeans. She scavenged out her hat she pulled it over her head and wrapped a scarf around her neck.

Picking up her phone quickly she sent a text out to Donghae asking if he and Eunhyuk were available because she had some last minute shopping to do.

Quick to respond Donghae gave her the thumbs up and a location to meet them and with that she was off on her mission.

 

Walking around the streets was a completely uplifting experience. Couples holding hands and sharing cups of hot chocolate. There were children bouncing up and down and holding their mother hands anxiously as they finished up last minute shopping. It warmed Nini’s heart, it was like the air was just a bit warmer and everything seems to glow in this holiday bliss.

“Nini!” Catching her attention and pulling her from her daydream, Donghae called for her. Nini waved and ran across the street to meet up with her two friends.

“So what kind of shopping are we helping with?” Eunhyuk looked at her curiously.

“You’ll see.” Nini smirked and waved them to follow her.

 

*~*~*~*~*

 

“Thanks Jongin, I wanted to make sure he would be home.” Nini smiled, the boxes and bags stacked behind her from Eunhyuk and Donghae’s help, who bailed not even a minute after tracking her purchases up stairs.

“Yup he is home and going into his annual ‘I’m alone for Christmas again’ mopping mode.” Jongin chuckled and Kyungsoo walked up behind him, lacing their fingers together.

“We should probably get going Jongin, your parents are expecting to pick us up in an hour and we still need to jump on the last public transit running this time of night.” The boy with big round eyes shoved Jongin, looking up at him intently. You would never guess that the shorter of the two was the older one.

“Don’t let me hold you guys up, we will be fine here.” Nini grinned and ushered them off wishing them a Merry Christmas as they went on their way.

 

Deep breathes Nini, deep breathes. She loved surprising people but for some reason surprising Suho seemed different to her. Maybe it was because it wasn’t something that had ever existed in their friendship. She had never once shown up at his place to say hello, or made plans with him first, it was always Suho’s doing. But the look in his eyes when he looked around her apartment with wonder pulled something within her. No one deserved to not enjoy Christmas.

She let her heavy hand fall on his door several times, knocking and holding her breath.

Seconds ticked and she started to shuffle her feet praying she wouldn’t have to knock again.

Nini listened closer to hear if Suho was walking towards the door but it was a much different sound that came to her ears.

He was singing.

It was weird. She didn’t think he was someone that could sing but clearly he didn’t hear her knock or he wouldn’t be singing so loud. Nini knocked once more.

His singing ceased and silence took over the hall again. Moments later the door opened to reveal a very shocked Suho.

“Nini.”

“Hey, I said I’d see you later and I….uhh” Nini stepped to the side showing off the boxes behind her.

“Tadah!” She smiled sheepishly as Suho processed what was in front of him.

“What is this?” he looked over the boxes again blinking and then looked back at her.

“Well you said you didn’t know how to decorate alone and Jongin and Kyungsoo wouldn’t be home so, I thought we could decorate your place together.” She smiled again, her eyes disappearing this time.

“You...really?” Suho’s eyes softened as he looked once more at the boxes and to Nini.

She nodded her head anxiously with a grin plastered to her lips.

“Well, let’s bring it inside.” Suho laughed and picked up several boxes, moving them inside his apartment. They proceeded back and forth until Nini called saying she would get the last box.

“This is it.” She grabbed the door pulling it closed behind her.

“I’ll grab it-” Suho went to reach forward but the force of the door pushed them together standing in the doorway, Suho’s head bouncing off something above them. His eyes shifted upwards and Nini’s followed his, her eyes looking up at the mistletoe hung delicately from the ceiling, right in the doorway.

 

ing Jongin. It was so typical Jongin and Suho didn’t even suspect a thing when Jongin and Kyungsoo rushed themselves out of his apartment with a bidding farewell of ‘have fun’. Then again it could have been Kyungsoo. He had an angelic face but he was just as scheming as Jongin, if not worse.

Suho gulped looking at the dangling plant.

Just do it Suho, it’s an unspoken rule and you can play it off lightly.

Suho’s eyes flickered down to Nini, whose attention was still no the mistletoe. He inched closer, making the distance between them lessen.

Just do it.

That was that, his lips met her’s, They were just as he thought they would be, sweet, soft but also firm until the initial shock wore off and she fell into the kiss as well, her chest falling and her head tilting further to the side.

The kiss broke when the box Nini had in her hands slipped and dropped loudly on the hardwood floor at their feet. Suho pulled back, his hand that had creeped up to her cheek fell and he stepped my nervously.

“hh..”

“Yeah”

“Umm.”

“It’s bad luck to not kiss someone under the mistletoe..”

“yeah.”

“Is the box ok?”

“yeah”

“are you-”

“let’s decorate” Nini moved quickly, the burning on her lips still remaining and she tried desperately to conceal then flush rising to her cheeks.

“yeah… umm, should I start with the tree?”

“sure…” Nini smiled, pretending as if the kiss didn’t happen. Just decorate his place that’s all. It was just a small kiss under the mistletoe, nothing more. Nini’s stomach had a different opinion though, and grumbled loudly, demanding food over decor.

“Or, maybe I should go get us some food.” Suho laughed as Nini chuckled lightly.

“Food sounds good.” She nodded.

“I’ll be back then ok? There is a street vendor just around the corner. I’ll be back, is there anything you really want to eat?” Suho rephrased his sentence at the end, asking her politely what she wanted to eat.

“I’ll eat pretty much anything.”

“Alright, I’ll be back then, okay?” Suho smiled before dipping out of his apartment in somewhat of a hurry.

 

Nini let out a huge sigh. What just happened. He kissed you you idiot. Nini decided to needed to invest in getting a new inner voice because her current one was a sarcastic at the most inconvenient times.

Deciding decorating would work her mind off of the subject she fumbled over the small table decorations.

 

*~*~*~*~*

 

Nini stretched up trying eagerly to place a shiny silver ball on one of the higher branches. Suho laughed as he sat on the ground cross legged, the sauce off his spoon. After waiting a few minutes Suho caved and stood up, leaning over Nini and lifting the silver ornament to its destination spot on the tree.

“There it is, the last one finally hung.” Suho stepped back admiring his tree.

“It looks perfect.” Nini stood beside Suho, cocking her head to one side and looking the tree up and down.

“It’s pretty late…” Nini spoke after moments passing by them.

“Would you like me to call you a cab?” Suho looked over at her, his hand on his cellphone in his pocket already. Nini glanced out his window, the street lights illuminating the fresh fallen layer of snow. She shook her head.

“Let’s go for a walk.” Nini grinned slightly, picking up her jacket.

 

The walked on the empty street quietly. Not exchanging words but simply absorbing the pleasant winter night. Just as if it was scripted, small snowflakes began to fall. The white flecks tangling in Nini’s ebony hair that glistened a deep gold in the street lights.

Suho smiled and grabbed her shoulders and turned her towards him. He lifted his hat off his head and pulled it over her ears, pulling i down so it sat proper and swiping the hairs out of her face so she could see. He said nothing, he did nothing more. He just continued walking and Nini followed, her brain falling behind, not able to catch up with Suho’s actions.

He stood outside her apartment and bid her goodnight.

“Sleep well Nini.” He smiled again waving before turning and heading down the hall without his hat.

“Goodnight Suho…”

 

*~*~*~*~*

 

“NINI OPEN UP THE DOOR!!!” Nini tossed in her sheets, her eyes insisting she open them and wake up, the sunlight dripping between her eyelashes.

“NINI OPEN THE DOOR NOW!!!” As her sleep lifted and she came to her senses she recognized a voice she hadn’t been too familiar with recently. One that rung in her mind and sent shivers down her spine.

“Mom?” Nini’s breath hitched in , sitting up in bed instantly.

“MOM?!” Nini shouted, waiting for a response.

“IF YOU ARE AWAKE WHY AM I STILL STANDING HERE?” That was definitely her mothers voice, who else could be yelling at her in vietnamese. But another question hit her on the head. What on earth was she doing in korea and how the hell did she find her.

Nini tossed off the bed sheets and ran to the door, unlocking it and swinging it open frantically.

“Nini!” Her mother pulled her into a bone breaking embrace

“Hi Mom.” It felt good. There was no denying how good it felt to have her Mom hug her, and it was true that you don;t know how much you miss someone till you see them again and notice the time that has passed between when you saw them last.

After holding on to her for minutes her mother released her and looked around her apartment.

“Would you look at how nice everything is… my daughter has done so well for herself. Of course you must be with the man you were after again, right?” Her mother spun to look at her. Ignoring her mother last question she questioned her mother seriously.

“Mom, how did you find me?”

“I got your postcard.”

What postcard?

C H A N G M I N.

Nini rolled her eyes knowing he absolutely had something to do with this.

“Oh, what about that kind man who answered your phone awhile ago, is he still around too?” Her mother kept asking questions she rather ignore at the moment.

“Mom why are you-”

As if the heavens forbid her from asking her momany of the important questions there was a strong knock on her door.

Sighing she walked forward and opened it up.

“Hell-”

“Hi Nini.”

“Kyuhyun.” Nini was shocked. She hadn’t seen Kyuhyun since her vacation in Japan where they shared a kiss that was anything but chilly.

“Kyuhyun?? Ah Kyuhyun I have heard so much about you, come in come in.” Mom not now.

“Oh, uh…. alright.” Kyuhyun bowed and walked inside like her mom asked.

“Kyuhyun this is my Mom.” Nini introduced her Mom awkwardly, wishing this entire situation was not happening.

“Hi Mrs. Nguyen.” He smiled sweetly and bowed once again politely.

 

The minutes ticked on and Nini sat drowning in her own awkwardness as Kyuhyun sat comfortably conversing with her mother.  

“How old did you say you were Kyuhyun?”

“27 Ma’am, I’m born in 1988.”

“Ohhhh 7 years between you and my daughter.”

“Ahh yes that’s right.” Kyuhyun was sweating in his seat. What if her mother didn;t approve of him, that would ruin everything. He was here for her and meeting her mother like this, when they weren't fully better or better at all for that matter.

“Where were you born Kyuhyun??” Her mother asked him in a kind voice but it didn't make him feel any more comfortable. Please approve of me.

“Nowon, Seoul.”

“What is your job again Dear, Nini mentioned it once but I can’t recall.” Dear was a good sign right? it was softer than his name.

“I’m a Teacher Ma’am.” Kyuhyun smiled sweetly in his attempt to charm her mother.

“Wow, what do you teach?”

“I majored in Mathematics but I took a job in my Minor which was English to teach abroad.” Kyuhyun spoke intelligently and Nini could see her mothers eyes war up as he spoke. She liked him. But what did that matter...they weren’t together.

“You seem very ambitious.”

“I am Ma’am but I am also very caring. I don’t forget about people who have made a difference in my life.” He felt the need to tack that on. He didn’t want her mother to think of him as a man who only focused on work. He would take good care of Nini, if she gave him the opportunity again.

 

“I should probably be heading to my hotel, I don't want to interrupt you two too much. I came unannounced to my daughter. You must have had this planned before me.”

“Oh no no, Please stay, you came to visit Nini.” Kyuhyun stood up motioning to her seat again.

“It’s alright Kyuhyun, i’ll be back tomorrow to visit her. I’m here to spend Christmas with her.” Her Mom looked over to Nini with softened eyes.

“Mom-”

“I knew you wouldn’t be able to come home, so I came here.” She grinned.

“That is really sweet, I know Nini must have missed you.”

“She doesn’t tell you that she misses her Mom?” Her Mom looked at Kyuhyun with a raised eyebrow.

“I don’t think she wanted me to worry, but I could tell anyways.” Kyuhyun assured her.

“Well Kyuhyun, I know you must have plans with your family but what if you came over here Christmas eve and celebrate with us for a bit. You have a warm presence and I would love to spend it with you both.”  Nini looked at her mother incredulously.

“I’ll be here then.” Kyuhyun smiled.

“It was nice to finally meet you Kyuhyun.” Nini’s mom smiled at him as he bowed once again as she left.

“I’ll walk you out to the cab.”

“ahh here-” Kyuhyun handed a couple bills to Nini’s mom.

“let me pay the fee.” He grinned widely and her mother nodded her head with a simple thankyou as Nini and her mom walked out.

 

Alone in Nini’s apartment gave him the right opportunity to plant her Christmas present. Even if it was early he felt as though it was later than it should have ever been to begin with. He scouted her place for a good place that wouldn;t be obvious until after he left.

 

*~*~*~*~*

 

“Sorry you had to meet my Mom like that…” Nini ruffled her hair and folded her hands in front of her.

“It’s ok, she is a nice woman.”

“I take after my Dad more.”

“Well, I’ve never met your Dad but I can still see bits of your Mom in you.” Kyuhyun grinned and walked towards the door.

“Why did you stop by anyways?” Nini looked at him curiously. They hadn't talked in nearly a month, why now.

“Ah, it’s nothing. It’s late...i’ll come by again.”

“Oh-”

Kyuhyun smiled, reaching forward to grab her hands.

“I mean it this time...my promise.”

“I don’t know if I can believe you though.” Nini looked down.

“that’s ok.” Kyuhyun looked down at their hands folded together. Walking to the door he didn't let go of her hands and she didn't attempt to pull away. The feeling was familiar and she had missed this as well. Even if she had no idea what this would do to her mental health she knew she needed to feel his hands again.

“What the-” Kyuhyun reached up to see what tangled in his hair to find  a spar of Mistle toe caught in it.

“Mistletoe?”

Nini’s eyes widened, but her feet were cemented to the ground. She couldn’t move away even if she wanted to.

Kyuhyun moved closer, his hands cupping both sides of her face and hooking his lip on her lower lip, craning his neck down and tilting her chin up.

The heat, the softness, the comfort came back to her lips. This was what she had become so familiar with. No matter the time of the day this was what she loved the most from Kyuhyun. The way he her chin with his index finger and tilted her head up slightly.

It was different with Kyuhyun, even after kissing Suho, Kyuhyun was different. The feeling was different. He infected every part of her body, not just her lips. His kiss flowed through her lips, her arms, her core and to her toes. Kyuhyun was different. They were different.

“Goodnight Nini.” Kyuhyun broke the kiss and planted another in the center of her forehead, letting his fingertips trace hers before they hands depart and he walked out her door.

 

With her blood rushing through her Nini walked into her room. Her body embellished in a full blush.

But on her bed sat a small card.

She stepped forward and picked it up reading over it carefully, each word sinking deeper into her memory.

 

*~*~*~*~*

 

“Good morning.” Suho smiles sweetly, holding two cups of hot chocolate in his hands and a scarf coiled around his neck so she could barely see his beaming smile.

“Good morning.” Nini smiled and takes one cup from him, still in her pajamas.

“I’m sorry I have to come for rent this early, I brought the hot chocolate as a peace offering.” He laughed as Nini curled up with her Nini pressed to her chest on her couch, blowing on the steaming cup carefully.

“Ahh rent right…”

“You don’t need to rush I have a bit of time before my next appointment.” Suho urged her to stay sitting up she placed her cup down instantly and travelled down the hall.

“I have your Christmas present too…”

“Nini you didn’t need to, you decorated my entire apartment.” Suho shouted after her but she ignored him.

He sighed and moved over to the couch to sit down. Making himself comfortable he  noticed a card on the table propped open. He didn’t mean to read it but his eyes glanced over it fast enough to catch the words.

If the card wasn’t from him, there was only one other choice. They had been seeing one another. Of course they would, Suho urged him to do something about it. Suho looked down at his hands in his lap. Had he lost. He said he would bow out when one was left and by the ton of that card, he was sure that he had the lead of himself.

The thought of letting her go pained him. he didn’t want another lonely Christmas. He wanted to take her to his parents. They had asked him to come and he asked if he could bring a guest in hopes she would come with him knowing her family wasn’t here. but...she had Kyuhyun. He had expected this from the beginning but no matter how much he had prepared himself it hurt more to see traces of Kyuhyun in her apartment. he last month he thought he was making headway but he had been silently competing against her first love.

If not now.

Maybe someday.

“Nini…”

Maybe 5 years from now, you won’t be with him,

“I can’t remember where I put it.”

Maybe 5 years from now i will still be waiting.

“Nini I got an emergency call, I have to go.”

If not now,

“What about rent.”

I will wait.

“leave it in the mailbox I will pick it up quickly, I know you’re busy.”

I will wait for you.

“Alright”

“Goodbye Nini.”

Goodbye for now.

 

 

 

 


 

AN/

I DID NOT CRY AT SUHO'S GOODBYE WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT

I don't knwo what to say with this. I out did myself.

Kind of romantic, cute and sad all in one go right?

Yeah well...ok.

I love you all.

I'm not sure if I will be able to update for the DYE chapater or the Mini Christmas scenarios before Christmas

but they will be uploaded.

Anyways, if we do not meet before then

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

~ Authornim Skye!