Chapter 9

Milk Chocolate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jonghyun calmly waited for Jieun outside the school gate. Although he told her that he wasn't going to wait, just leaving her behind made him feel guilty. He played with his phone for a bit, then checked the time. It was 4:15 in the afternoon. She was 15 minutes late. He slightly gritted his teeth and decided to message her. He stopped when he saw Taemin come out of the class with a few of his other friends.

"Taemin!" Jonghyun called. Taemin turned around, and look up at the older friend. He muttered something to his other group and walked over to Jonghyun.

"What's up?"

"Have you seen Jieun? She's late," Jonghyun said.

"Jieun? She's on clean-up duty," Taemin informed him. "The guy who she was supposed to do it with ditched her since he had to pick up his girlfriend at another school."

Jonghyun dropped his jaws. "What? But it's going to take her at least an hour for her to clean up the room on her own!"

"Well, then why don't you just go to Yoona's grave by yourself? Just go and tell her that you're going to leave her first," Taemin said. "Besides, you're just using Jieun. I don't think it's going to be hard telling her that you're leaving first."

"But she deserves to visit Yoona..."

"Oh yeah! I guess since you're using Jieun and is partly responsible for making Jieun the basketball manager, you're going to die down some rumors about her in the school," Taemin said, checking his phone.

"I know that--Wait, what? What rumors?" Jonghyun asked. Taemin handed him his phone, which had several messages relating to Jieun and another basketball member. He frowned, and continued to scroll down the list. "Why haven't I heard of this?"

"Um, I don't know. Oh, wait! Maybe it's the fact that you're known as the 'weird guy hanging around Jieun.' Want to know what's funny? There's this one rumor of her where Luhan and Jieun dated, but since you're bugging Jieun to date you, she's running back to her ex-boyfriend! Isn't that ridiculous?" Taemin laughed loudly, causing a few other students to stare at him.

Jonghyun paused, and stared at his phone. A rumor between Luhan and Jieun? Luhan's popular. He's bound to know about that rumor! He's bound to be conscious of Jieun's existence!

But for some reason, Jonghyun didn't like that.

He laughed weakly and nodded his head. "Y-Yeah. Funny... Anyways, Jieun's on clean-up duty? I should help her."

"What? You're going to get in trouble!" Taemin exclaimed. "You know that only those on clean-up duty are allowed to clean up the classroom, right?"

"Don't worry! It doesn't hurt to help others, right? Plus, even if I get caught, I promise that I won't be seen," Jonghyun said.

Taemin scratched the back of his head. "No, that's not it. The problem is that some guys in my class are holding a grudge against you. They really think that you're the 'weird guy' with Jieun! You better clear up all these rumors."

"I don't care if people spread rumors about me--"

"Yeah, me either, but I care about Jieun. Listen, Jieun's image is also hurting through these rumors. Clear it up for not yourself, but for her, or there's going to be some serious misunderstanding." Taemin sighed. "You know, Jonghyun. I'm having second thoughts about this..."

Jonghyun frowned at his friend. "You know, everyone's siding with Jieun. Why not side with Yoona for once?"

Taemin widened his eyes. "Jonghyun, are you serious? Sure, I care about Yoona, but I also care about Jieun!" He grabbed Jonghyun's shoulder. "Unlike Yoona, Jieun is alive. She will be affected by these rumors."

"Ah... Whatever," Jonghyun said, shifting his weight to one side. "Look, I'm just going to help Jieun, visit Yoona's grave, and that's it for today, okay? I'll clear up all these rumors tomorrow before Jieun goes to the basketball club and helps out."

Taemin stared at him. "Promise?"

"What? Now you don't trust me?" He joked. He held up his pinky. "I promise, okay?"

"Don't promise to me," Taemin responded. "Promise to Jieun. Better yet, promise to Yoona when you go to her grave tonight. Promise her that as you're doing your plan, you won't hurt Jieun any way that would make her cry."

Jonghyun rolled his eyes. "Wow, you're such a party-pooper, Taemin. Alright, I'll promise to Yoona, okay?"

Jieun glanced at the clock. It was already 4:25, meaning that Jonghyun probably left her twenty-five minutes ago. She sighed and dusted the chalkboard erasers outside the window. She coughed a bit when she realized that the wind was slightly blowing in front of her face. She stopped for a moment, waited for the wind to die down, and continued to dust the erasers. Maybe it was best for her not to go. She already had to help the basketball team tomorrow after school, and had a huge test tomorrow to study for.

But why didn't she give him a text?

"Need help?"

Jieun turned around and found Luhan standing at the door. He stared back at her, refusing to look away. Jieun looked away, then shrugged her shoulders. He sighed, then stepped inside the classroom.

"What can I do? The table looks great, the bookshelves are clean, and it seems like you only need to dust off the chalk from the erasers," Luhan complimented her. She ignored him for a moment, pounding the erasers until the dust turned to a cloud of grey and floated off. Jieun walked over to the chalkboard, and placed the erasers in front of the teacher's desk.

I still need to clean the desk and mop the floor, Jieun signed him. Plus, I have to write down what we did on our classroom journal and hand over the application for being the basketball club's manger.

Luhan felt his heart skip a beat when he saw her sign "basketball club's manager." 

"A-Ah... I see. Um, let me help clean the tables! Y-You can write down what you did during class on the c-classroom journal. I-I'll get things clean around here," Luhan stuttered, blushing hard. He rushed o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter