Chapter 8

Milk Chocolate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jonghyun laughed proudly by himself. He was eating lunch with Taemin on the roof, but every time he tried to take a bite of his sandwich, he would remember the look on Luhan's face and laugh. Oh, how he wished that Yoona was here!

When he thought about his old friend, his smile faded. He grinned weakly and stared at his food with empty eyes. He wondered how Yoona was doing. Where was she? Right next to him in spirit? Above him in heaven? Was she happy, or was she sad?

That's right. I still have to visit her grave, he remembered. He paused, then dropped his sandwich in his plastic bag. He looked up and checked the weather. After confirming that it was a nice day, he looked at his clock and nodded his head. 

"Hey Taemin, want to visit Yoona at her grave today?" Jonghyun asked.

Taemin looked up from eating his meal. "Right now?"

"No, after school."

"With Jieun?"

Jonghyun paused. "No, not with Jieun."

"Then I'll pass," he said, packing up his lunch. "Hey, I heard that she's the basketball club's manager. Did you have anything to do with that?"

"Kind of," he said, smiling even brighter. "You should've been there. Luhan's face was hilarious! He looked so shocked and surprised!"

"Wow, you really enjoy getting revenge, don't you?" Taemin mentioned. "You know, why don't you settle it peacefully with Luhan? What are you going to do if Yoona doesn't want you to avenge for her?"

Jonghyun completely ignored him and stood up. "How's a guy going to learn about heart breaks if he doesn't feel it himself? Luhan's a jerk. He deserves it. If he just hung onto her for a little longer, then maybe Yoona wouldn't have committed suicide."

"So you're saying that it's Luhan's fault?"

"... Yeah, I guess. Why? Do you have a problem?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

Taemin lifted his hands up and shook his head. "Nope, I don't. I'm just saying that I don't agree with where things are going."

"Whatever. You're you. You never really cared about Yoona as much as I did," Jonghyun said. "I've known Yoona since we were kids. I'm sure that she would do the same if I was dead and if she was alive."

"Sure, okay. Have it your way. But don't you think that you should take Jieun with you? To visit Yoona? I mean, come on. If she's getting involved with all your problems, she might as well know who Yoona is. I bet you that she doesn't even know who she's doing this for," Taemin pointed out. The bell rang, and all the student on the roof packed up and went inside. Taemin and Jonghyun did the same, except Jonghyun took his time and carefully thought about what Taemin said.

Should I? Should I really bring Jieun to Yoona? he wondered. Would it...be the right thing to do?

He later decided that it would be up to Jieun if she would want to come with him or not.

Jieun sat still at her desk. She was in the middle of learning a foreign language, but for once in a long time, she wasn't thinking about school. No, she was thinking about Kim Jonghyun and what she had agreed to do for the basketball team.

What was I thinking? Jieun wondered to herself, suddenly feeling pale. This is like middle school all over again!

She remembered exactly what had happened during middle school: She got close to a bunch of guys who she was helping (including Luhan), and a series of incidents happened that led her to being mute. Jieun shivered and shook her head. She had made a choice. A choice that she could not take back, nor could she quite accept. Why did she follow what Jonghyun had to say?

"Jieun," the teacher called, not lifting his eyes from the book. Jieun jerked her head up with wide eyes. "Can you come up and fill out the verbs here? Please write them in past tense."

Normally, the students would stand up from their seat and read out loud the answer. However, since Jieun lost her willpower to speak, she was the only student who had to go up to the board and write down the answers. As she walked up, she heard her classmates slightly groan. Jieun never cared about how her classmates reacted towards how she had to participate in class. But hearing all these groans and sighs caused Jieun to tense up a bit. She suddenly felt insecure and lost.

Oh no. I'm being self-conscious, Jieun thought. Her head throbbed. I'm getting stressed...

"Jieun? Are you done?" the teacher asked, looking at her. She was holding the white chalk with one shaky hand. Noticing how weak she looked, the teacher gave her a worried expression. "Jieun, are you okay? You look a little sick."

She slowly placed down the chalk and gave her teacher a weak grin. She took several deep breaths, then grabbed the chalk again. This time, she scribbled the answers on the empty, white line. Seeing Jieun write so easily wasn't very impressive for the students. Jieun was always the smartest and the prettiest. She was perfect, except for being a mute.

Jieun finished writing, and turned to her teacher. She finally wrote on the board, Can I go to the bathroom?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter