Chapter 20

Milk Chocolate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The persistent woman followed Jonghyun everywhere. It was supposed to be a normal Sunday for him–or at least, a quiet one. He had promised to meet up with Taemin earlier, but Bora kept dragging him away from his precious friend. Whenever Jonghyun asked her where they were heading, she would only keep quiet and say:

"People like you need to learn how to be unattached to people!"

So Jonghuyn had no other choice but to shut up and zip his mouth. He didn't like how she kept tugging on his sleeve. It made him feel like as if she was his girlfriend, and just thinking about love reminded him about Jieun. He would smile for a second, but then Luhan would barge into his head and he could only frown. He could only frown, only thinking about why he hadn't realized his feelings for Jieun earlier. It was his fault–he knew that–but just by knowing that made him feel sick and disgusted. 

When Jonghyun finally decided to stop thinking about his unrequited love, he studied his surroundings. A second later, he realized that he was sitting at a park bench, with faded white paint and tons of spider web wrapped around the parallel planks. He stood up in shock. He had almost forgot about Bora, and when he looked around, he couldn't see her. 

Where on earth did she go? he wondered, frowning again. He quickly smacked his own head with the palm of his hand. No more frowning! The more you frown, the worse your expression will look when you get older–

Something cold and soft touched his cheek. Jonghyun quickly turned around, and found Bora giving him a teasing grin. He was puzzled, but he didn't say anything. Then, he felt the cool ice cream cup chill his hands. He slowly looked down, and noticed that Bora had bought her some chocolate ice cream. Quickly, he reached down his pocket to take out some cash.

"How much was it? I'll pay you back," Jonghyun said, feel nervous. He didn't feel any bills or coins in his pocket. How was he supposed to pay her back?

Bora smiled and gently patted his head. "It's fine. Usually the guys are supposed to pay for these, but I'll let it slide for you. Besides, I accidentally smudged some ice cream against your cheek. Here's a napkin."

"Oh, thanks," he said, unsure of what to say.

He made a mental note in the back of his head, reminding himself to pay Bora back again, despite what she had just told him. He quickly wiped away the brown smudge, which began to feel sticky. He crumbled the napkin up, threw it away in a nearby trash can, and turned back to Bora, who happily devoured her chocolate chip mint.

"So why did you bring me here for?" Jonghyun asked, taking in a spoonful of ice cream.

"Mm… Actually, I was planning to have a double date with you and some, uh, friends, but they seem to be running late," Bora mumbled, checking her smartphone. She quickly pressed a few words on the screen, then sent the message to her anonymous friend. The captivating girl turned around and gave him a bright smile. "Meanwhile, what should we do?"

It took a while for Jonghyun to process what she had said.

"Wait, a double date? Look Bora, I'm flattered, but I told you that I can't date anyone just yet–"

"I know, but I want to get to know you more. You can't leave me hanging like this forever," Bora replied, grabbing ahold of his hand.

Jonghyun flinched and pulled his hand away. "I can neglect your feelings. There's no way that I'll date you. Plus, you don't seem serious about me."

"Serious? I'm serious! Why would you say such a thing? Do you think I'd half-heartedly confess to you? Do you know how hard it is for a girl to confess to the guy they love?" Bora asked, rolling her eyes. This guy just won't back do–

Her eyes turned wide and her body froze. Jonghyun glared at her, as if he was disgusted by what she had to tell him. She was mortified. No one had given such a hateful expression. She almost felt guilty, but she stuck to the words she had used several times to convince the guys to date her.

"Do you think I don't know how hard it is to confess? Especially for a girl to confess to a guy? I understand that potential thought of being rejected, and I definitely understand how it feels to have my heart broken several times. I've faced thousands of scars on my heart while smiling at the person I like, but the hardest blows to endure were the ones where the girl I love is taken away by someone who can't even do anything for anyone besides himself.

"You definitely don't know who I am so let me tell you now. I am someone who loved a girl named Yoona, who had once lived for love and was happy. I am someone who couldn't witness the death, but just heard about the suicidal accident that Yoona was in. I am someone who couldn't even tell her 'I love you' before she was gone, and I still can't say those words to the girl whom I moved onto.

"Yes, I am an idiot for being the silent guy, and yes, I am dumb enough to watch the girls I love in silence, but I know that they must've contributed a lot of feelings to be with the one who they love. I am someone who is coward enough not to confess, and I am someone who will respect another's happiness. So there, that is me, and that will always be me," Jonghyun announced, raising his voice for every sentence he spoke of. He felt angry at Bora, but he kind of felt relieved. Jonghyun knew that he was being the mean guy, but he had to be. If he allowed Bora to keep flirting with him, he was sure that things wouldn't end well.

Bora, on the other hand, looked unconvinced. She crossed her arms, obviously showing how she didn't agree with him.

"Well, let me tell you who I am. I am Yoon Bora, not Yoona or Jieun…" Jonghyun frowned. How did she know about Jieun? He didn't remember saying her name. "…I am someone who thinks that you are a complete fool for thinking that your flaws will 'always be you.' I am someone who knows my own flaws, and will fix them in order to improve myself. Yes, flaws will always be a part of me, but they will be a part of my past, not the current me, if I know how to fix them. Jonghyun, you  need to learn to move on. Move onto a better girl."

"Are you saying that you're the better girl?" Jonghyun inquired.

"No," Bora admitted, biting her own lip. "No, I am not the better girl, but you can't be hooked up to one g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter