Decisions

A Leap of Faith
CHAPTER XVIII
DECISIONS

December 2012 (four months after)

Minho

We never got the chance to talk about what happened in New York. We saw each other every time the guys invited her for lunch out and dinner, we said hi and hellos but we never really talk. I see her around campus but she would just smile and say goodbye immediately. It’s already been four months since we got back from New York but neither one of us is willing to start a conversation with each other. As soon the school started, we’ve both become busy about our dissertation; she’s starting to write hers while I’m trying to finish mine so that basically sends the two of us the opposite direction these past few months. School has been the same for me since I started last year, girls would always come around and flirt and I’ll always brush them off. Our friends always joke around in front of us on how my attitude changed ever since Sulli came.

“Sulli, I really don’t know how to thank you. Minho just became bearable to live with ever since you came,” said my cousin over dinner. My feelings for Sulli haven’t been a secret from our friends, especially when they talk about it in front of us as if like we’re not with them. She would just smile and just listen to them.

Last month, Sulli saw me with a girl in front of the library, I girl was blabbering so many things, saying that she likes me and if I can go on a date with her. On the usual days, I would just ignore her and tell her to stay away from me, but I ever since I professed my feeling to Sulli, I mellowed down and always use the line, ‘I’m sorry but I can’t, someone already owns my heart,’ it’s corny but it’s true.

 

Sulli

I saw him in front of the library building while waiting for my friend Sunny; I know it’s wrong to avoid him especially when he’s trying to start a conversion, I was just afraid to talk about it. Minho is a great listener and when we were talking at the Marriott when watching the runway practice, I feel really safe and at ease with him. I stopped when I saw a girl walking towards her and called her name. Key told me stories about girls coming out from nowhere and telling Minho to go out with them or they like him but he always end up rejecting the girls cold and harshly, I don’t know how I should react but I stood there and watched.

“I’m sorry but I can’t, someone already owns my heart,” he said and he looked at me straight into the eyes. I don’t know how to react with what I just witnessed, I saw him walking towards me and said, “I don’t care what it takes or how long I’ll have to wait. I meant what I said back in New York and if you think that it changed when you didn’t talk to me for the past four months, but it only made my feeling towards you even deeper.” I was taken aback from what he said. I was trying to avoid him for month now, but having the same circle of friends didn’t really help a lot.

“Ssul, are you okay?” my friend Sunny called, “Isn’t that Choi Minho.”

“Ah yes, he’s a friend of mine.”

“Wow, I’m sure many girls are jealous of you. I heard so many things about that guy, he’s smart and handsome.”

“We’re just friends.” I said, at least that’s what I want to believe.

I went back to the apartment as soon as my classes ended because I need to rush some paper works for the office, it’s been busy since its holiday season, I should really treat Reena, my secretary, a much deserved holiday vacation with her family. It’s already December 7 and only a week before the mid-term exams, I really should focus on what I’m doing if I want to finish my work before the vacation starts. Ever since I take over the position as the president of operations on business, I make it a point that I evaluate the employee’s performance every quarter, it’s time consuming but I think it’s appropriate for the business. At seven o’clock the doorbell rang. I was surprised to see Taemin, Onew, Key and Jonghyun on my door step at this hour.

“Did I miss a dinner date with you guys?” I asked.

“No, but we came here to finally settle some scores,” said Key. They entered the apartment and settled on the dining table.

“We brought some take-outs; it looks like you forgot about dinner because there seems to be no trace that your kitchen has been used for the past 12 hours,” Jonghyun said, checking on my fridge. “Wow Ssul, you do live up from my expectations. There’s barely any edible food on your fridge. How do you survive living alone?”

“I’ll take that one as a compliment, I usually do take outs or dine before I go home; I just didn’t have time to cook tonight. So tell me, what brings you all here tonight?”

“First of all, we’re all hungry so we decided to order some take-outs, second, we can’t bear to eat while we see Minho sulking at his room all evening and third we want to know what you really feel about him.” As expected from someone who is very out spoken like Key.

“Come on Ssul, if you really don’t feel anything for my cousin I can understand it but I can see that you care for him,” said Taemin as he opens his food.

Onew stand up and place his hands on my shoulders, “Sulli, I’m very happy that I’m starting to see the old Minho back and that’s because of you. You brought the cheerful and laughing Minho.”

I think Key can’t take any more of the side-stepping conversations so he butts in, “What we’re saying is, we know you like Minho too, and we can see it. Your eyes seal the deal, you both look at each other secretly and it really pains us to see you both looking like that wherein you always have the option to talk and sort things out about feelings.” I think being cornered by these four leaves me no choice.

“What I feel about him is complicated.” I started.

“What can be so complicated? He likes you, you like him, you’re both single and for all we know, maybe you already fallen in love with each other.” Taemin standing up, I am starting to have a hard time trying to explain everything to them.

“Are you engaged?”

“No.”

“Married?”

“Of course not, do you think I’ll be halfway around the world if I am?”

“Do you like someone?”

“Yes.”

“Do like him?”

“Yes.” There I already said it out. Everyone cheered as if they won a NFL championship trophy.

“So what’s the catch? Why don’t you let him court you?”

“Is he?”

“Do you want to?”

“Maybe.”

“Will you let him?”

“Probably.”

Everyone laughed at my Q&A with Key. I felt relieve to let it out; at least I don’t need to bother Siwon all night taking about my complicated feelings for Minho.

“It’s Minho’s birthday on Saturday and all of us agreed that you’re the best present that we can give him in this life time,” said Onew. After cleaning up they all said good night so I can go back and finish my work, Onew asked if he could talk to me along so he let the others ahead.

“I hope you don’t mind but Siwon and I had a best friend to best friend talk in New York.” I know my best friend is behind all this I thought to myself. “He said that things have been very difficult for you these past two years, and he also said that if Minho fell in love with you in your state right now, what more if he knew you two years earlier. I can’t catch his point though, but I know that my best friend is serious about you and you’re the only one that reached him since he became cold and distant with everyone. I hope that when the time comes, you can both help each other and be happy together, because trust me, I never saw that happy when he was with you on the stage.”

What Onew said, got me thinking. I know that my accident changed the life of many people, I hate knowing that things come up to the point wherein they put hold on their lives just to take care of me so decided to study abroad. I cannot deny the fact that I have feelings for Minho as well, but the uncertainty about my emotions towards him clearly affects my decision. Siwon is right, if I want to move forward, I really have to take the risk that comes with it.

 

 

***I really enjoyed playing with the story, hope you like it!***

***Thank you everyone for reading, all of you have been great readers! I love reading all you comments they really inspired me to write more.***