Hope

Poems and Metaphors

I wish our clever young poets would remember my homely definitions of prose and poetry;

that is, prose = words in their best order;

 poetry = the best words in the best order.
Samuel Taylor Coleridge



 

My first ever client was Kang Daesung. He had been my schoolmate since kindergarten and we were in the same honors class.

 

He is a doraemon-loving math whiz but is very humble and has always been a shy one but unlike the other boys in my class, he’s been friendly to me. He would occasionally help me in class as math is my waterloo.

 

It’s no surprise that he was also at a loss when courting girls. I have observed for some time now that he would always look behind me over at Gong Minji and I would also catch her steal a glance at him. Minji was part of the dance troupe. She was a cute girl with fierce dance moves but was also very shy.

 

My keen powers of observation tell me that something is up with the both of them. Only no one says anything first or makes a move. Dae was always shy around her, having nothing longer to say than hi to her, and Minzy would just smile back. But I know something is definitely going on.

 

 

 

 

After noticing his pathetic state going on for about a month, I decided to act upon it. It’s about time someone interfered and put a stop to their pitiful situation.

 

One time during lunch break, I approached him.

 

“Dae, here copy this and give it to Minzy” I said, slipping him a note.

 

“What…How…Why?” was all Dae could ask.

 

“I just know okay. You like her don’t you?” I asked.

 

“Yes, but why are you doing this? He asked.

 

“Because you need help and I’m rooting for you. Just give this to her and all else will follow.” I said.

 

“Are you sure? What if she doesn’t like it and then she’d hate me?” Dae asked. “I don’t want that to happen”

 

“Gosh, Dae. Beggars can’t be choosers you know? Doing nothing won’t make her like you. So man up and confess. Trust me on this one” I said confidently.

 

“Thank you, Dara” he said and smiled.

 

“Your welcome. Fighting!” I said and cheered him on.

 

 

Later that day, I saw Dae give the letter to Minji. She was smiling when she read it.

 

 

 

Like how mathematics has perfect symmetry

1 + 1 =  2

You + Me  = 143

 

 

 

 

The next day, I already saw them coming to school holding hands.

 

Dae passed me by and murmured his thanks.

 

Mission accomplished.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Hope" is the thing with feathers --
That perches in the soul --
And sings the tune without the words --
And never stops -- at all --

 

                        -Hope is a thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson


 

 

Hope. I love this word.

 

 

 

Hope

 

A twinkling star

In the gloom of night

At the end of a tunnel

A ray of light

 

                                                                        - Thursday 9pm, in bed, hoping