Secret

Poems and Metaphors

 

I grew up in this town, my poetry was born between the hill and the river,

it took its voice from the rain, and like the timber, it steeped itself in the forests.

Pablo Neruda

 

 

 

I remember being friends with Ji in elementary school. We were 9 and he was my seatmate for the whole year. We’d go to each other’s houses and play. We were friends.

 

It was his 10th birthday party and was his last before his family would transfer for his father’s job. The whole class was invited. I was sad that he’d be leaving but there was nothing I could do about it.

 

We were all wearing costumes as a tribute to our fast-leaving childhood according to his mom and because it’s the last time his mom would be able to embarrass him. Ji was dressed like Harry Potter, as he was still wearing his glasses then while I was an angel.

 

During one of the games, we were all blindfolded and were asked to fumble in the dark to find the hidden treasure in the basement. It was probably the craziest game we played as bodies crashed with each other or on walls and furniture. Everyone came away with bruises.

 

But I came away with my first kiss.

 

I was fumbling in the dark on my knees when I collided with someone face first and felt something soft against my lips. My lips! I was pressed lips to lips with someone. I pulled away embarrassed but I heard a familiar voice ask “Who are you?” I didn’t answer and instead went to the opposite direction, feeling my heart thump fast and this crazy fluttering in my tummy.

 

It was several minutes after that I heard shouts that the treasure was found which turned out to be a giant egg containing chocolates shaped like gold coins and nuggets, and the lights were back on and blindfolds were removed. Ji was across the room smiling.

 

 

 

 

It was only now that I remember that at that time he was smiling while looking at Yoona. Even then, he always had his eyes on her.

 

And I always had my eyes on him.

 

He didn’t even know he was my first kiss.

 

Just like he’d never know I love him.