Return to Normal

Poems and Metaphors

 

Poetry is a mirror which makes beautiful that which is distorted.

Percy Bysshe Shelley

 

 

 

It’s been a month since Ji and I last talked. I don’t know what happened after that but I’m just thankful that they’ve left me in peace.

 

Now that I have the time again, I’m back in the business of love. If I can’t have it, at least some other person should.
 

I have returned to normal. But then, I was getting ahead of myself.

 

 

 

 

As I came out of the ladies’ room, I was accosted by Yoona and her crew.

 

“What now Yoona? I haven’t done anything.” I told her before she could start on me.

 

“Boyfriend stealer!”  her friends called me.

 

“Drop the innocent act, this is all your fault. Ji just broke up with me and he wouldn’t tell me why.” Yoona said .

 

“How would that be my fault?” I countered.

 

“Because after the last time I saw you talking, he started to change. He became less fun and more moody.” She said bitterly.

 

“So? That’s just circumstantial. I haven’t been talking to him for  a month now. Maybe it was you who did something.” I replied coolly.

 

“How dare you! I’ve always been the perfect girlfriend. In fact, he even told me that he had a crush on me since his 10th birthday party. I couldn’t even recall it then when he asked me but the point is he’s liked me for a long time until you came along.” She said, blaming me.

 

“I don’t know what to tell you, Yoona but we have always been just friends. And if you think you’re so perfect, why are you wasting time on me? Don’t blame me for your insecurities” I talked back.

 

“Whatever! You’d always be trash and if Ji picks you then good for him, you belong together. I don’t know why I even bothered with him anyway” she said before turning her back on me. Her crew did the same but not before calling me boyfriend stealer one more time.

 

 

 

 

By the time I reached my locker during dismissal, the break-up of Ji and Yoona has already spread like wildfire. In fact I noticed most kids staring at me until I saw my locker vandalized with words like trash, and boyfriend stealer. I don’t have to guess who did it.

 

I was never one to care what others taught of me because I’ve always been invisible but I have never been a victim of hurtful gossip before nor have I ever received unwanted attention. I hurriedly got my books so I could make a run for it.

 

I bumped into someone by the exit. When I looked up, I didn’t expect to see Ji.

 

“I was hoping I could talk to you” he said.

 

“What do we have to talk about? I’ve said everything I have to say the last time we talked” I said dismissively.

 

“Look, I’ve realized some things and I wanted to talk to you. I broke it off with Yoona. It’s not her I want.” He said.

 

“What do you want me to say? Congratulations for your enlightenment? Sorry it didn’t work out with Yoona?” I said sarcastically.

 

“You don’t have to tell me anything anymore. In fact, I’d rather you not talk to me again.”

 

“But---“

 

I cut him before he could speak again. “If you really wanted for things to be the way they were before then do this for me. After everything, this is the only favour I’ll ask of you. My life had been simple before you started talking to me. I want it back.”

 

I made the mistake of looking at him and I saw him looking hurt and wounded by my words.

 

I ran away before I could change my mind, before the tears belie my words.