Love

Poems and Metaphors

 

The poem is a little myth of man’s capacity of making life meaningful.

And in the end, the poem is not a thing we see-

It is rather a light by which we may see-

And what we see is life.

 

 

 

 

“You’re here.” Ji said disbelievingly, standing underneath our tree.

 

“I know.” I said.

 

“I mean... I was hoping you would...but you’re really here.” he tried to say, still surprised that I showed up.

 

“I know.” I said, softly this time.

 

We stood there facing each other not knowing what to say first but I took the chance.

 

“Say it” I prompted him, wanting him to prove what he wrote in his letter.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Earlier

 

Dara was surprised to find a letter addressed to her taped outside her window. Bringing it in, she eased the letter open and bit her lip as she started reading it.

 

 

 

 

 


 

Dara,

 

I had never been good with words unlike you but I know you love and trust them in a way I could only hope to understand. I don’t know how to say this out loud because I’ve never been good at saying something. Things always sound better in my head before they escape my lips. And besides you told me you’d never talk to me again so I figured writing to you circumvents that.

 

What I can’t say I hope I could write, not just because you deserve the words but because by writing them I could somehow make them infinite, like the many words in the books you love. Written words are as indelible as how I feel, and it seemed fitting for you to know this way.

 

You made me choose once between the sun and the moon, and I remember choosing the sun. I told you it was because it was the center of the galaxy where the earth revolved and because it gave light and warmth. I take it back. I choose the moon. Sure it’s not the biggest and brightest thing in heaven, but you’d have to admire its’ devotion to the earth. Its’ light reveals things in the darkness of night, and gives a different perspective that you’d miss during the day. It’s not too glaring and the more you look at it, the more you see its beauty.

 

Okay, so maybe you’re wondering what I’m getting at. You are my moon. I’ll choose you every day and night. I want you. Even when I didn’t know I wanted you, I needed you. You give light to my darkness.  I want you because you make me happy, because you’re you. I want and need you.  Who’s to say I can’t do both?

 

I don’t have all the words but what I do know is something that feels natural to me as my own name and who I am.

 

I love you. There I’ve written it. I could only hope I’m not too late. I promise to make up everything to you.

 

I love you. I’ve written it again, just in case it didn’t sink the first time. I’m not suggesting that you are slow or inept. You are just the opposite actually but I was afraid that you would not believe me.  

 

I love you. Maybe three times is the charm. If not I still have a few more sheets of paper to fill up.

 

I love you. I love you. I love you. I’ll write it over and over again because it is true, because this feeling will stay with me forever.

 

 

                                                                                                                                   Jiyong

 

P.S.

If in some way, you feel like talking to me again, you know where I’ll be waiting.

 


 

 

 

 

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Jiyong asked.

 

I looked at him curiously. What should I have been telling him?

 

“I’m sorry it took so long.” He said as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a white feather.

 

My eyes suddenly became blurry from the tears threatening to spill. “How?” was all I could ask.

 

“When I kissed you, it felt familiar like it was what I should have been doing all this time. And when I asked Yoona about my party she didn’t remember. I then looked at the pictures and saw you dressed like an angel.” He explained.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?” he asked me again.

 

I looked at him sternly. Is he seriously asking me that?

 

“I didn’t know. All this time I was pining after the wrong girl.” He said.

 

“I was always just here. You were just blinded by the sun” I quipped. “So now that you see me, was there something you wanted to say?”

 

“Say what?” he said, acting innocent.

 

“You’re impossible!” I said frustrated, starting to turn back.

 

“I love you”

 

I stopped midturn, a smile starting to creep upon my lips. I turned back to look at him and saw him matching the same smile.

 

“Say it again” I urged him as I stood before him.

 

“Uh uh. No way. You snooze, you lose” he teased as he pulled me closer with his hands on my waist.

 

“But I didn’t hear it properly. It’s unfair. You cheated.” I started to rant.

 

Ji then put a hand over my mouth effectively shutting me up.

 

“I love you” each word he pronounced slowly as we held our gaze. Each word went straight to my heart.

 

I removed his hand from my mouth. “You don’t know how long I’ve been waiting to hear that.” I murmured. “And if you were wondering, you did it perfectly.”

 

He smiled this huge smile I love and wrapped his arms around me. “So do you think you have something to say too?”

 

“Well, I guess I’m kind of hungry” I started to say.

 

“Now you’re just teasing me” he said in mock exasperation.

 

“I can’t help it. It’s your turn to wait” I teased.

 

“I’ll wait for you even if it takes forever” he promised sincerely.

 

“Forever is a long time” I reminded him.

 

“No, forever is relative. A moment, an hour, a day, a season, a year could be forever.” He stated. “Take right now for example. You and me here, forever is already happening.”

 

I couldn’t help but melt with his words.  And he tells me he doesn’t know how to use them.

 

“Then I shouldn’t tempt forever” I said as I leaned up and kissed him. His lips were pressed to mine, light and tender then slowly became passionate as he took charge. His hands firm on my waist pulling me closer and my hands anchored on his shoulders.

 

As we broke from the kiss to catch our breaths, I sealed the deal on forever.

 

“I love you.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So I finally got an in with love and I didn’t even have to use poetry or metaphors. All I needed were three words. Separately, they stand on their own, but together, they are the best words I know.

 

 

 

 

 

Love

 

The one true thing

I wish to find

My fate and yours

intertwined

 

                                                

                                                                                                                                                 -  finally found love

 

 

 

 

 

 


Thank you to all readers (silent and those who leave comments) and subscribers. I would not still be writing if it weren't for you guys=)

I was inspired to write this story from my own experience of writing for my guy friends in high school. They were smart but they lacked the words and the feminine insight. Unfortunately, my success rate is not that high.=)

As for the poems in this story, most are mine except the ones where i wrote the credit was for.

Another daragon story comes to conclusion but the love doesn't end here. =)