Chapter 44

If That's What You Want

SUNGMIN's POV

 

"He can be discharged today," the doctor informed me,

 

"Oh, okay. Thanks, doc," I replied with a polite smile as he excused himself to attend to his other patients. Giving him another grateful smile, I slightly bowed before turning around to where DongHae's room was. And a frown marred my face as I see my brother standing by the door, looking through its small opening as if he was some sort of a burglar. Silently, I tiptoped my way towards him, and when I was at a close distance, I heard him giggling like some teeanage girl.

 

"What do you think you're doing?" I whispered on his ear, successfully making him jump up before he faced me with a glare and placing his finger on his lips, motioning for me to keep quiet.

 

"Shh! You'll disturb them, Min!" He hissed at my face before turning back to peeking.

 

"What are you even looking at?" I hissed back, as I looked over his shoulder. And I had to bite back a squeal.

 

There was DongHae, sitting on his bed. His face was brightened with that sweet smile as he talk softly to his companion. And then there was HyukJae, also sitting on bed beside the brunette, holding up there intertwined hands in the air, his face looks like it will rip apart as he eyed their hands with that gummy smile before bringing it closer to his lips to kiss the back of the younger's hand, then dropping it on his lap. They were chatting softly, giving each other subtle touches now and then and it appeared that they were lost in there own little world that they didn't hear me closing the door.

 

"What the--- Min! I was watching!" Jong Suk whined softly as I took his hand and drag him away from the door.

 

"Give them privacy, Suk," I simply told him as I sat us down on the chairs. Silence surrounded us before I let out a chuckle.

 

"What's so funny?"

 

I snorted again, bringing up a hand to cover my mouth before answering, "It's just---I never thought I'd say this but HyukJae was actually cute back there," I ended, facing my brother with an amused grin, And soon, he was smiling back at me as he nodded his head, a fit of giggles escaping his lips.

 

"True," he spoke while trying to control his laughter. "I've never see him so cheesy before, it almost makes me want to pinch his cheek then throw him out the window afterwards." Then we were leaning on each other as we chuckled, ignoring the way the people eyed both of us with weird eyes.

 

*

 

The car was filled with silence as I drive. My eyes would meet my brother's from my side then I'd glance at the rearview mirror.

 

A cough was heard and I turned to my brother who has that uncomfortable expression. And believe me, I know what he is feeling right now. But the sound was unheard by the awake person on the back seat as he was busy caressing the other's sleeping face with a soft smile on his face; and it was freaking us out, I swear! We aren't used to seeing HyukJae like this. We've witnessed how stubborn he could get, how idiotic and immature he could be or how rude and uncaring he could act if he wants to. HyukJae could be considered as the black sheep of the family. He does everything the exact opposite of how things should be done. If grandpa tells him to try dress professionally, he'd be wearing leather jackets and tattered jeans. If his mom told him to get high scores, he'd be giving them papers with passing marks. If his father tells him to make correct decisions, he would do otherwise. It's been that way since forever; and it was frustrating because he was the heir of the company. I tried talking sense into him, to be honest; we all have, but it was all in vain because the monkey really had a thick skull. But then---

 

Seeing him now makes me feel as if he's a new person. I never saw HyukJae open a door for someone, or fill someone else's plate first before his own. I've never seen HyukJae share his strawberry milk before because he'd go ballistic if you even try to take a sip. I've never seen Hyukjae look so worried over someone. I've never seen Hyukjae look so angry.

 

I've never seen HyukJae smile that brightly before.

 

The change was unexpected, but it was warm and welcoming because it was a change brought about by DongHae.

 

"HyukJae, you are acting like a creep," I finally sighed.

 

"Huh?" the redhead replied dumbly, not tearing his face away from DongHae's.

 

"You're scaring us, monkey-face," Jong Suk admitted with a sheepish look.

 

"Scaring you? Why?" Hyukjae asked, finally lifting his gaze to look at us through the rear view mirror but his hand was still playing with the brown locks of the younger who has his head resting on the redhead's shoulder.

 

"Why, you ask?" I responded and started listing down. "First, you were baby talking to DongHae when we entered his room. Second, you are wearing that gummy face. Third, you gave DongHae your strawberry milk when it wasn't even halfway done and he is not asking for it. Fourth, you are gazing at DongHae with hearts on your eyes---"

 

"---and you have that sweet aura surrounding you the entire ride! For damn's sake, HyukJae, since when did you start acting all romantic?!" Jong Suk ended with a frustrated hiss, throwing his hands in the air.

 

We waited for an answer, but HyukJae was just staring at us innocently as if we just said the most ridiculous things. Then he started chuckling and said, "Can't help it. I love him." And he said those words with pure sincerity that I almost lost control of the wheel. Since when did HyukJae became so vocal about his feelings?!

 

"Damn it! At first I thought it was cute, now I just want to puke!" Jong Suk voiced out with an annoyed tone.

 

*

 

"You're a hopeless case," I told him truthfully, resting my chin on my palm.

 

"You are whipped," Jong Suk added, imitating my position as we sat side by side on the kitchen counter watching a certain redhead fussing around the kitchen, wearing a monkey-printed apron as he tried preparing dinner for the sleeping brunette who he carried upstairs awhile ago.

 

HyukJae was standing in front of the opened refrigerator, staring at the contents with a big question mark almost visible on his face as he scrunched his nose up in annoyance.

 

"What are you even lanning on making?" Jong Suk asked again.

 

"Do you even know how to make anything? Even a sandwich?" I asked.

 

"If I were you, just call for pizza," my brother suggested and I nodded in agreement.

 

"Or we could---"

 

"Aish, shut up! Both of you!" HyukJae hissed, turning around from his position to throw us a glare. "You are not helping with all your yapping, so why not make yourselves useful and search the internet or something!" He ordered with that authoritative tone of his that had me and my brother nod without complain. Hmph. This is the reason why HyukJae's the next CEO of the company. If he really wanted to, he could be influential and respectful if he wanted to.

 

"What are going to cook, anyway?" I asked as I grabbed my iPad and started it.

 

"Chicken curry?" Came the uncertain reply. I looked at him with a questioning gaze and so was my brother who got his iPhone in his hands.

 

"Are you sure?" I asked him carefully.

 

"I think so."

 

*

 

"It's done!" HyukJae shouted happily, raising his hand with the laddle as he turned off the stove.

 

Curiously, Jong Suk and I walked towards our cousing and peeked from his shoulders, eyeing the newly cooked curry inside the pot. A good scent wafted the air as I inhaled and gave HyukJae a reassuring pat on the shoulder.

 

"Well, it looks edible enough," Jong Suk commented, picking up a spoon to taste it. HyukJae had that worried expression as he watched my brother's reaction and surprisingly, Jong Suk smiled and said, "It's actually good!" And before he could take another scoop of the food, Hyukjae closed it and carried the entire pot, placing it on a prepared tray.

 

"I'd check on DongHae!" he excused himself, speed walking on the stairs with an excited look on his face.

 

I turned my face to the side and met my brother's amused gaze before we smiled at each other.

 

"He's acting like a freaking school girl," he spoke first, snickering.

 

"That he is. But it's nice seeing this kind of Hyukjae," I replied thoughtfully.

 

"It sure is," Jong Suk replied gently, a soft smile on his lips.