His Past

Trapped With The Living

 

Yoseob walked into his playroom as usual one morning and started playing with his toy train, alone. His surroundings were quiet with his parents in their home offices, doing their work. Yoseob was only four and he didn’t have any friends. Not that the other kids in the childcare don’t want to be his friend, but he was shy. He wouldn’t say a word in reply when they talk to him. He would just nod or shake his head. He’s a very shy boy that even greeting the teacher would be a challenge for him.

He pushed his toy train too hard and it wheeled to a corner. He was about to get up on his two little feet to take the train when suddenly he saw a guy much older than him, taking his train from the corner and walked up to him. Yoseob’s eyes widened and he wanted to hide somewhere. He wasn’t scared. He was shy.

He couldn’t find a place so he ended up covering his face with his palms.

Junhyung walked up to him with the train in hand and kneeled down infront of him. “Hey” he started. Yoseob didn’t reply.

“Is this yours?” Junhyung asked, showing the toy train. Yoseob tried to peek through his fingers to look and he nodded slowly.

Junhyung chuckled softly. “Your name is Yoseob right? Do you want it back?” he asked. Junhyung slowly took Yoseob’s hand away from his face, smiling at him.

Yoseob looked up slowly at Junhyung and then his toy train. “Here,” Junhyung said, handing him his toy.

Yoseob bowed slightly and took his toy back. He stared at it in his hands as Junhyung looked at him.

“I’m Junhyung,” he said offering a handshake. Yoseob looked up warily and took his hand and shake it. Junhyung just smiled.

“May I sit here?” he asked, gesturing to the empty spot beside him. He just nodded in reply.

“I’m lonely..” Junhyung said sadly. “Can I be your friend?” he asked.

Yoseob turned to Junhyung in shock. His eyes were widened slightly, blinking it a few times. The innocent look made Junhyung chuckle.

“Y-you want to be.. my friend?” he spoke softly.

Junhyung smiled and nodded. He waited expectantly for Yoseob’s answer.

“Okay..” he answered softly, not looking at Junhyung.

“Yay! We’re friends!” Junhyung cheered happily, clapping his hands. Yoseob smiled slightly, meddling with his train.

“How old are you?” Junhyung asked. Yoseob turned to Junhyung more confidently this time and showed him four fingers, grinning from ear to ear. Junhyung just nodded, smiling.

“How old are you?” Yoseob asked.

“I’m 24,” he replied.

“Should I call you hyung then?” he asked innocently.

Junhyung shook his head. “Have you heard of Peterpan Yoseob?” he asked instead.

Yoseob thought about it and shook his head.

“Well..” Junhyung started. He lifted Yoseob easily and placed him casually on his lap. Yoseob didn't seem to mind since his parents would sometimes place him to sit in their lap too.

“Peterpan is a boy who wouldn’t grow up. He stopped growing at a certain age and stays as a boy forever in Neverland,” Junhyung explained.

“What’s Neverland?” Yoseob asked.

“It’s a place where Peterpan lives,” he said. Yoseob just nodded.

“I’m like him. I stop growing at the age of 24. So even when you grow older, I will still be 24. That’s why you shouldn’t call me hyung,” he continued.

“I will be the same age as you?”

“Yup. Just wait for 20 years,” Junhyung chuckled.

 

Eversince that day, Junhyung would always come to Yoseob’s playroom to play with him. He acted like a child sometime even though he’s 24. At night he would tell Yoseob that he’s going home and will be back later in the morning. Yoseob’s parents didn’t know anything about their friendship until they were called to the childcare one day.

They didn’t believe the teacher at first. One afternoon when they just got back from work, they went to Yoseob’s playroom to check on him. From outside, they could hear their son talking.

“Ahni its not like this..” he said.

“You’re older but doesn’t mean you’re smarter!” he laughed by himself. His parents quickly stepped into the room to see who he was talking to. To their shock, he was the only one there.

“Yoseob.. Honey.. who are you talking to?” his mother asked, walking slowly to him.

Yoseob pointed to Junhyung who was beside him, smiling. Junhyung just smiled slightly and bowed to his mother.

“Who?” his father asked.

“Junhyung! He’s my friend!” Yoseob said excitedly.

His parents were getting worried and scared at the same time seeing their son point to nothing but air.

“Erm.. we’ll come back soon son,” his father said and walked out with his mother. Yoseob pouted and showed Junhyung a confused look.

“Why didn’t they say anything about you?” Yoseob asked innocently.

Junhyung smiled sadly, ruffling the younger’s hair. “Seobbie.. They can’t see me,” he said.

“Wae..?”

“Only my friends can see me. And you’re my only friend so only you can see me,” he tried to explain.

“Omma and appa not your friends so they cannot see you?” he asked. Junhyung nodded. He was scared that this might be the last time he’s with Yoseob. The boy might be scared to be his friend from now on.

“Ohh..” Yoseob nodded.

“Are you scared?” he asked.

“Ahni. I’m happy! It means I’m special! Heee~” Yoseob grinned cutely. Junhyung sighed in relief and chuckled.

“Of course you are Yoseob..”

 

Yoseob’s parents tried a lot of things to get ‘Junhyung’ away from Yoseob. They called the pastor, priest, whoever religious and even moved to a new house because they thought the house was haunted. But nothing worked. Yoseob was still talking to Junhyung, acted as if he’s really there. They had been called countless of times to his school at all levels. Yoseob didn’t care. For him, Junhyung is as normal as everyone else. Just that he doesn’t age anymore and no one else can see him. Yeah that’s normal..

At the age of 19, his parents lost it. Yoseob was just back home from school when his parents were sitting at the living room.

“Annyeong omma! Appa!” Yoseob greeted. Eversince he met Junhyung, he’s more confident and braver. But that is only when Junhyung is with him- which is, everytime.

“Yoseob, let’s go somewhere,” his father said, standing up.

“Oh? Okay! I’ll change first,” he said and ran up to his room. Junhyung sensed something wrong but he just kept mum.

After awhile, they went off. The ride was silent and Yoseob was listening to his iPod. His parents were serious but Yoseob didn’t seem to notice their difference. Soon they reached a big building and told Yoseob to go out.

Clueless Yoseob just followed them with Junhyung by his side. His father brought out a big luggage from the car boot and went inside the building.

“Is this a hotel or something?” Yoseob asked but they didn’t answer.

The moment they stepped in, Yoseob saw people in white walking around aimlessly. Some looked at him as if they wanted to eat him alive while some smiled creepily at him. Yoseob grabbed Junhyung’s hand and held on it tightly.

“What is this place?” he whispered to Junhyung. Junhyung knew very well what place it was but he didn’t answer.

They went into an office and sat on the chairs. His parents talked to a lady in frameless specs seriously and then suddenly she turned to Yoseob. He grabbed Junhyung’s hand even tighter and his heart pumping faster. She smiled and went back to talking to his parents. He looked around to find a clue about this place and he saw a pamphlet by the side. He narrowed his eyes to read the words on the pamphlet and his eyes widened.

“I’M NOT CRAZY!” he stood up suddenly and shouted.

His parents didn’t look behind at him and just stared on the table. The lady smiled.

“Yoseob, they will take you to your room okay? You can rest,” she said and two guys uniformed in white held his hand from behind. Yoseob turned and shake his body refusing to go with them.

“No! No! I’m not crazy! Omma! Appa!! I’m not crazy!!!” he shouted and the guys had to drag him to his room. Never once did his parents turned when he was dragged out of the office.