My Reflection

Trapped With The Living

With a blink of an eye, Heather’s big day has arrived. I’m proud to say I helped out quite a lot with the wedding preparations. From the food to the decorations and even to choosing the dress for Skye. Junhyung is also always smiling seeing me happy and he get to see Skye everyday. Everything in my life just turned to be the most perfect wonderful life ever.

 

The wedding reception was being held at their front yard. I sat by the benches beside Skye at the front row. Skye introduced me to Heather’s relatives on her husband’s side and most of them are as welcoming as Skye and Heather. Well of course, not everything is perfect. There are some aunts and uncles that see my sideways because they thought I pretend to be nice to Skye for her money. Skye is very rich since her late husband’s will and property are all being passed down to her. But she still remained humble and the big house that she own is part of the will so she could not sell it.

 

As Heather walked down the aisle, all of the guests turned to look at her. She was very beautiful. She’s beautiful everyday but that day she looked even more beautiful. Skye had put an empty chair beside me for Junhyung. When some of the guests asked, she told them its for Heather’s late father.

 

Both Daniel and Heather stood beside each other, infront of the minister. It was a very precious moment with each of them exchanging vows and rings, and end it of with a sweet kiss on the lips. Skye teared up slightly, looking at both of them. Tears of joy of course.

 

The short but sweet wedding reception slowly came to an end. The guests were chatting and enjoying the desserts and food prepared by the catering service while the newlywed couple went around and thanking their friends and relatives for attending their wedding. I sat at a bench on the platform of Skye’s house after taking a few simple desserts and a drink. Honestly, I would have taken more than I already have because let’s face it, I haven’t seen such delicious foods for years. But that wouldn’t be appropriate what’s more I’m a newcomer to the family.

 

“Is it nice?” Junhyung asked. I didn’t turn to him and nodded happily to my plate. I know Skye didn’t mind and she told me to talk freely to Junhyung if I want to, but I just feel that I don’t want to add more burden to Skye to explain to her guests why was I talking ‘alone’.

 

“Can I have some?” he asked as I was busy munching on some tarts. I shook my head.

 

“Are you really not going to talk to me?” he asked.

 

“I can’t.. You told me not to trouble Skye and Heather right,” I said in a hushed tone with my head hanging low.

 

I heard him sigh. “Fine. Just listen while I blabber then.” I smiled and chuckled slightly.

 

“The whole thing is nice isn’t it? I’ve never been to a wedding actually. Its really nice that the first wedding that I go is my daughter’s,” he smiled in content.

 

“She’s so beautiful. Just like Skye. I wonder how Skye looked like during her wedding. Did she even have a wedding….?” he said softly.

 

“I can ask for you,” I said while chewing on my food so no one would notice that I talked.

 

Before Junhyung could answer, a girl about my age or maybe slightly younger stepped up onto the porch.

 

“Hi,” she said to me with a friendly smile.

 

I smiled back. “Hello,” I said bowing slightly.

 

“Why are you eating here?” she asked, leaning on the wooden railing infront of me.

 

“Um.. No reason,” I grinned.

 

She chuckled at my response.

 

“Do you want to sit?” I asked, gesturing the place beside me.

 

“Yah! I’m sitting here!” Junhyung said and I just ignored his whines.

 

“Its okay. Your friend is sitting there,” she said smiling. I stopped eating abruptedly and I also saw Junhyung stared at her in shock.

 

She titled her head to the side. “What’s wrong?” she asked.

 

“Erm.. W-what did you say just now?” I stuttered.

 

“Your friend is sitting there?” she repeated.

 

“You can see him?” I asked warily.

 

“Ahni. I just saw you nodding and shaking your head just now as if someone asked you a question. So I assume you have an imaginary friend beside you, right?” she said calmly.

 

“Ah… Yeah. Didn’t think anyone would notice that,” I said acting calm since she’s calm. She just smiled.

 

“Gosh I thought for a second she could see me. My hair is not well set,” Junhyung sighed. I just had the urge to roll my eyes but I just remained the smile on my face, looking at her.

 

“I’m Yoseob by the way. You are?” I said, extending out my hand.

 

“I’m Min Young. Nice to meet you Yoseob,” she said, shaking my hand. “And this is Tammy, my imaginary friend,” she added, turning to her right.

 

I just smiled and nodded to cover my slight fear of seeing another person talking to nothing but air. So this is how people see me.

 

“Now she, is crazy,” Junhyung commented and shuddered.

 

This time I turned to Junhyung and glared at him. As per normal, he just showed me I-don’t-know-why-you-are-glaring-at-me look. I turned back to the girl and gave her a polite smile.

 

 

 

 

EPILOGUE

Junhyung's POV

When I made myself disappear I could clearly see Yoseob crying and pleading for me to come back. But I had to. I want him to get used to me not being around when I really left. I was by his side the whole time, not once leaving him alone. Even though I’m no longer alive, but my heart still aches seeing him suffer. Over and over again I kept apologising when he’s sleeping.

I was so angry at one time because Yoseob didn’t deserve this. Why must I appear in his life if it will all come down to this?

“Why can’t you just take me away when I die?? Why must the innocent boy suffer because of me?? Why??” I shouted to the sky as if asking God or rather the angels that doesn’t seem to be taking me away anytime soon.

“I’d rather sacrifice my own happiness and not see how Skye is doing right now than have Yoseob suffering! He deserve to be happy with his family! Happy and cheerful like a normal child! Why must you put me in his life and ruin his happiness??” I dropped to my knees and panted heavily, tired from all the ranting.

Suddenly I heard a faint chuckle behind me. I furrowed my eyebrows and turned behind. A man all dressed in white suit was walking towards me.

“Let me guess. You’re an angel?” I said irritated that he was laughing.

“Ding ding! Correct answer!” he said smiling as he stood beside me, looking down at me.

I rolled my eyes. “How typical..” I mumbled.

“Why are angels always good looking? Aren’t there ugly looking angels?” I asked him, getting up on my feet.

He laughed. “Angels are good looking because our looks reflects our heart. If you have a good heart or rather, pure heart, then you will appear as good as your heart,” he said.

“Whatever. Since you’re down here, I assume you’ve already heard me? Or was I not loud enough?” I said.

He just smiled. “Yes I heard you. Loud and clear.” I just kept quiet.

“You know Junhyung, there’s always a reason for everything. And you won’t find the answer just by simply asking why again and again,” he said. Great. Now even an angel is mocking me.

“But I didn’t ask for any of this to happen. Suddenly I end up in a kid’s house. How am I supposed to look for answers?” I said.

He looked down and smiled sadly. “Actually you’ve found your answer. Why you’re here..” he said and looked up.

I raised an eyebrow. “Yes I already know why I’m here. Because of my unfinished business. But that unfinished business is now finished. What I’m asking is why does an innocent boy has to suffer just because I have an unfinished business?? Isn’t that just plain unfair??”

He smiled. He just freaking smile. Can this angel make my heart boil even more than he already has?

“Do you know why you are still here despite finishing what you already need to do?” he asked instead.

“I don’t know. The angel of death is busy?” I said, not bothering to even think deeper.

He chuckled slightly. He then shook his head. “You would be taken right away after you finished actually. But you’ve made a promise. And that promise must be fulfilled even though you’ve already finished your unfinished business. That’s the power of a promise.”

I frowned, now thinking hard. “What promise?”

He just smiled and placed a hand on my shoulder. “You promised to be with him forever, Junhyung.”

I blinked several times hearing what he said. I was speechless for awhile until I found my tongue again.

“Does it mean… I can never go back?” I said.

“You can once you’ve fulfilled your promise.”

“But until when is forever??” I asked, feeling a little panicked.

“Until he dies,” he said clearly and calmly.

“What if he don’t need me anymore?” I said.

“You will still be with him. Depends on whether you want to make yourself seen or not..” he explained.

I don’t have anything else to say. I just stood there, his words ringing in my ears over and over again.

“But I promised to be with Skye forever! Why did I die then??” I suddenly shouted.

“Humans make mistakes. Humans break promises because of obstacles in life. You, are no longer a human,” he said.

“You said you rather sacrifice your happiness just so that he doesn’t have to suffer. And now you can,” he added.

“It means I’m… trapped..here?” I said slowly.

“Don’t consider yourself trapped. Consider yourself as a guardian angel for Yang Yoseob..”

 

~End~

 

So that's the end of it! Hopefully the ending is not a disappointment :) Thank you for staying with this fic this long until the end even though I started it with no idea in mind. Glad I get to finish it :) Your comments mean alot to me and it made my day everyday <3 Thank you again :)

tumblr_m2uxrhXXdE1qe5lvvo1_500.gif

You all will forever be in my heart <3 And Junseob kekeke^^

tumblr_m2y9xmlDiv1r9uhpqo1_500.gif