Introducing Me

Trapped With The Living

 

I walked through the hallway freely, looking into the shared bedrooms and the nursery. I smiled when I see people screaming their heads off when they were about to be injected. Its not that painful actually but I remember my first time. I was just scared of the sharp thing that was going to go into my arm. But after a few minutes, it ended. The suffering ended. I chuckled realizing how stupid I was.

“Yah don’t laugh at them. You were one of them too remember?” Junhyung said, walking beside me. I just smiled to him.

“Where did you go just now? Free time is almost over!” I complained, changing the subject. He just smiled and shook his head.

“To the bathroom. Yah.. free time or not, I still get to talk to you right? Its not that we’re not allowed to talk..” he sulked.

“Yeah yeah. I know..” Free time is the only time we get walk around the hospital freely without being supervised. Of course, when chaos happens, the superior will come and get us.

The bell rang, indicating that free time is over. I sighed. “See! I told you so! You don’t even get to walk around..” I said.

He laughed. “Oh come on. You know I can walk around whenever I want to.”

“I know.. but not with me! You’ll be lonely!” I said. He smiled and patted my head.

 

All of us gathered at our waiting area, waiting for our names to be called. All of us dressed in white, with nearly the same hairstyles, it makes us unrecognizable by just out faces. Many of the nurses and doctors there would either refer to a paper to know who we are or just don’t bother to know unless we did something wrong.

“Yang Yoseob” the nurse called through the mic. I stood up along with Junhyung and went to the counter where two nurses were behind a clear glass. She passed me a small plastic cup with 2 tablets inside. I took it and swallowed both in one go. I’ve already been in this place for about 3 years now and I’m used to swallowing pills without water. The first time I was asked to swallow, I asked for a cup of water, a spoon to crush the pills and a coffee spatula to mix the solution. The nurse laughed their heads off hearing what I asked for.

~

“Look kid, this isn’t a hospital that takes care of sick, needy patients. It’s a mental hospital where patients just take whatever they are given. Get it? Are you even mental?” she asked.

“I’M NOT CRAZY!!” I shouted. I don’t know how many times I’ve said that eversince I was sent here by my own parents. After years of living here, I’ve grown tired of it that I just pretend that I am. They want to believe I’m crazy anyway.

The nurses laughed and nodded. “My bad. You are mental,” one of them said.What is this place?? You just shout and people would confirm you mental? Is that even logical?

~

I sat back down on my chair, waiting for the other patients to take their medicine and for us to be told what to do next.

“How was it today?” Junhyung asked.

“How was what?” I said.

“The pills of course. Is it nice?” he asked innocently.

“Its delicious! Tastes like chocolate today!” I said mockingly. He laughed and looked away from me.

“Don’t you dare laugh Yong Junhyung. Because of you I need to take those pills okay,” I said, pouting.

“Naww… I’m sorry. But hey, its not my fault other people can’t see me like you do,” he said, tugging on my white sleeve.

I just nodded for no reason. “Smile for me?” he pleaded.

I smiled widely at him, causing people around me to look at me and smiled widely back. What do you expect? It’s a place full of mental patients.

 

 

We were sent back to our rooms to rest. I was just waiting for 3pm. I sat on my bed, staring at the clock ticking every second. It was just 2.30pm. Why does time has to pass so slowly when you need it to be faster? Well you know what they say. Time is not always on your side.

“Quit staring already!” Junhyung shouted and pushed me on the bed. He smirked seeing my shocked face.

“Can’t I look at the clock??” I said irritated.

“People look at the clock. Not stare. You’re scaring it. The more you stare at it, the more it doesn’t want to move,” he said, sitting on the bed with me.

“I just can’t wait,” I replied simply, smiling like a child waiting for Christmas.

“You see her every week Yoseob. What’s the difference?” he said.

“I haven’t seen her for a whole week! Who knows if she cuts her hair, or got new highlights, or just a new dress that she never had never worn before. You know.. anything. I just want to see her,” I said excitedly.

He chuckled. “I wish she can see me too..” he said.

“Just stand behind me so when she looks at me, it’s as if she’s looking at you also!” I suggested. He smiled happily and nodded.

“Yang Yoseob report to the counselor room now ”

My name was being called over the announcer and I stood up quickly, taking one last glance at the small mirror hanged on the wall before going out to the counselor room with Junhyung.

“Yah remember not to say anything foolish when we’re in there. Like last time,” I warned him.

“What happened last time?” he smirked. I glared at him hard and then turned away to open the door.

I closed the door quickly, leaving Junhyung behind. Although he can open the door by himself, he still shouted for me and banged on the door asking me to open.

“Yah!! How can you leave me behind?? Yang Yoseob open the door!!” he shouted outside the room. I laughed at him being stuck outside and opened the door for him. I walked in and I closed the door.

“You little brat!” he shouted angrily.

“You can go in by yourself! Who’s the brat here huh?” I said, laughing at him.

“Tsk.” He pouted and nudged his head over to somewhere behind me. I turned and saw her sitting on the wooden chair with a clipboard on her hand, smiling at me.

“Fighting again?” she asked. I just smiled foolishly and made my way to her and sat on the chair infront of her.

“See you don’t need me to make you look foolish. You just need to smile,” Junhyung said, laughing afterwards. I glared at him before turning back to her.

“How are you Yoseob?” she asked, smiling.

“I’m good. But Junhyung here seems to be more annoying than ever,” I said, glancing at him sitting beside me.

“Yah! Don’t say bad things about me!” he shouted.

She just laughed. I like talking to Heather. She’s the only person that can make me feel I’m not crazy even though she can’t see Junhyung. She said it may be my own imaginary friend but people mistook it as crazy.

“So how was everything today? Any new things?” she asked.

I shook my head. “Can’t think of any. Wake up, wash up, eat, walk, sleep. That’s all I will ever do here.”

She nodded and wrote something on her clipboard.

“You know me for 3 years Heather. Are we considered.. friends?” I asked.

She looked up at me and smiled. “Of course. Why? You don’t want to be my friend?” she asked.

“No no! I want to be your friend! Of course I do!” I said rather too quickly.

“Woah.. chill dude. There’s no need to rush. You have another hour of chatting with her,” Junhyung commented.

“Shut up,” I hissed at him and he sniggered.

“What did he say?” she asked.

“Huh? Oh n-nothing. He’s always blabbering nonsense,” I said, smiling innocently.

“But erm.. can you give me a sec?” I said. I stood up and pulled Junhyung by his collar to the end of the room.

“Yah! I just ironed my shirt!” he complained as he straightened his shirt.

“Shut up for 1 hour or you’ll sleep on the floor tonight. I’m not kidding,” I whispered harshly.

“Yeah yeah. I’ll leave you two alone. I’ll be going out so after one hour I’ll come back. Arasso?” he said. I smiled and nodded.

I went back to my chair and Junhyung had gone out. Peace finally.