Chapter 4

Close to You

Weeks passed, Sooyoung finally felt accepted for once in her life. Sooyoung and Sunny were inseparable after their first school project. That was the only thing that changed in her life. She endured with every hit, slap, insult her appa threw at her. The only things in her mind were Sunny, her halmoni, and her faith.

She found herself praying for her halmoni, her parents, and strength. She would always go to a church near the school to pray. Sometimes, she wondered where her biological parents are and how she prayed she will find them soon.Sooyoung's beatings were getting worse by the day. She remembered one night she fell into unconsciousness and woke up on the floor the next day.

Sooyoung descended down the stairs when her appa arrived home at three in the morning. She knew he was drunk since he stumbled into the house. This time it was different. He was furious and was under the influence of alcohol.

"Sooyoung! Where are you?! "

She stepped in front of him and bowed her head.She was scared and he smirked, knowing her fear. Whenever he was angry and drunk, that was Sooyoung' s worst fear. "I just lost millions of won! " He punched her stomach. Next thing she knew, Sooyoung was thrown against the wall. Her head was starting to spin, due the impact.

The wind was knocked out of her when her appa kneed her in the stomach. Her knees fell to the floor, she was forcibly grabbed by collar and slapped in the face. "You." Punch. "Are." Kick." Worthless." Punch." Good." Smack. "For Nothing." He spat in Sooyoung's face. Containing a cry, Sooyoung accidentally let out a cry. Shutting , praying he didn't hear.

He did.

"What did I tell you for letting out a noise!" He struck her face and grabbed her by the hair. Sooyoung's face was instantly turning purple and black. A cut on her cheek. A black eye. A swollen lip. A bloody nose. It was the same a Sooyoung's body. Her stomach black and blue, adorned with bruises. Scars and cuts coming from being thrown at the wall. She could feel herself losing to the darkness. Her world was turning black.

The next day she woke up when the sun's light was coming from the window. She didn't know what happened after she passed out. She stretched and winced. She skipped school for that day.

Not wanting to remember that memory, Sooyoung shook her head and went to halmoni's room to wake her up and eat her breakfast. "Halmoni, time to wake up!" Her smile changed to worry. She dropped her backpack and rushed to her side. "Halmoni?"

"HALMONI!"

Her halmoni fallen off her bed and Sooyoung didn't know how long she was there on the floor. Checking her pulse, Sooyoung had tears flow out of her eyes. "Halmoni..." She opened her eyes and looked up at Sooyoung,"Soo… " She began to lose consciousness and began to close her eyes.

Like an instinct, Sooyoung picked up her grandmother, a blanket to keep her warm and took off to the hospital. The nearest hospital is the near the high school. Sooyoung was never a runner, but she sprinted for life. All she cared about was the person she loved the most in the world. She couldn't loose her now.

 

With Sunny.

 

She was riding with her father on her way to school. He was reading the daily newspaper and Sunny was looking out the window. She saw a tall girl sprinting for life and carrying an elderly woman. Sunny noticed the girl looked really familiar .

Their driver came to a full stop and luckily Sunny and her father had their seat belts on pulling them back to seats. The taller girl looked their way and Sunny's eyes widened. "Sooyoung-ssi!" She yelled out and got out of the car. "Sunny-ah, I can't talk right now. I must go to the hospital!" Sooyoung said distress. She was crying hysterically at this point.

Sunny's father, overhearing and directed,"We'll take you there.Get in!" Everyone rushed back into the car and he ordered the driver to drive fast. "To the hospital! Pali!" Sooyoung was drenched with sweat and her tears, she her grandmother's face and held her in her lap."Halmoni, everything is going to be alright..." She sobbed and kissed her head.

Sunny watched Sooyoung, not knowing what to do. She held Sooyoung's hand and Sooyoung looked up. "We are almost there, Soo..."

Making their way to the hospital, Sooyoung got out of the car and sprinted to the entrance with her halmoni. On her heels was Sunny and her father. Doctors and nurses immediately took Sooyoung's halmoni out of her hands and wheeled her away. Sooyoung dropped to her knees and watched her grandmother getting wheeled away. She felt an arm wrap around her shoulder and engulfed her into a hug.

Sooyoung wrapped her arms desperately around Sunny, wanted the comfort. Sunny felt her shirt becoming moist, the taller girl cried into her shirt. Both felt something, a spark when they were in each others arms.

They have been in the position on the floor for about thirty minutes when Sunny's father told him to sit in the waiting room. They were still hugging when Sooyoung's tears and cries started to subside. She still love the comfort of being in Sunny's arms. "Thank you for everything, Sunny-ah..."

Hearing this, Sunny flashed her a smile and wiped her tears away. She kissed Sooyoung's tear stained cheek and replied," You are welcome, Soo." Watching from afar was Sunny's father, grinning at the pair. Sooyoung reminded him of Sunny's best friend when she was small. He saw his youngest daughter give a look of love to Sooyoung.

Sooyoung finally composed herself and Sunny was still holding her hand. Someone cleared their throat. They both looked their way and it was Sunny's appa. "Sooyoung, I have someone you want to meet." They both got up of their seats and went up to her appa. "Sooyoung-ssi, this is my appa. Appa, this is Choi Sooyoung." Sooyoung bowed and her appa also bowed.

He thought, Choi? Could it be? She is about the same age of my SoonKyu...

They waited for about thirty more minutes, when the doctor came in. "Family of Park SoHee?" Everyone got up, wanting to know Sooyoung's halmoni condition. "Good thing you brought her in time. She is stable, but has broken her ankle due to her falling off the bed. She also has multiple bruises and had a mild concussion."

Thank you God... Sooyoung sent up a silent prayer. "Thank you. Is she awake?" The doctor smiled and added," You can all see her.Her room is 809S." Sooyoung ran to her halmoni's room and Sunny and her appa gave each other a reassuring smile. She opened the door quietly and saw her halmoni awake.

"Soo.." She was still quite weak and gave her granddaughter the brightest smile. Sooyoung cried tears of happiness and went to hug her grandmother. Sunny and her appa quietly went in, not wanting to ruin the moment. "I thought I lost you..."Sooyoung said truthfully. "Halmoni, I have someone you want to meet..."

Sooyoung grabbed Sunny's hand and motioned her head for Sunny's appa to meet her. "This is Sunny and her appa, she gave us a ride to the hospital." Halmoni was grateful,"Thank you for your hospitality..." Sunny's appa explained,"You granddaughter would go to the ends of the earth to save you, she ran into our car, running to the hospital."

The door flew open. Sooyoung's expression changed into fear.

"Hyung? What are you doing here?" Sooyoung's appa asked confused.

"Your daughter here saved her grandmother. And apparently your daughter and my daughter are friends." Sunny's appa smiled at Sooyoung. Sooyoung's appa forced a smile, she knew she was in for it now. "Thank God, she was there in time! Umma, are you okay?"

She replied," Only because my beautiful granddaughter is here and that's all that matters." Her son glared at her and continued," Umma, when will you be discharged?"

"Probably tomorrow, halmoni still needs to be under observation." Sooyoung said looking down.

After saying their goodbyes to halmoni, Sooyoung and her father were in the selcuded area in the hospital. He grabbed her wrist tight and slapped her in the face.

Two pairs of eyes widened at the sight.

"Sunny, we need to help her..."

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Sorry for the late update! College apps and homework! Please try to comment and give your feedback of this story. What do think will happen next? Will Sooyoung meet the rest of the Chois?