Comforting

Deer x Fish

 

“Donghae?”

 

I kneaded my head. Her hands were still tied to her shoulders.

 

And it’s shaky.

 

“Yoona.” I muttered through my dry lips. “Go and catch Siwon.”

 

“But Donghae.” She answered, removing her hands from my neck. “You.. you fell.”

 

“I really am alright!.” I exclaimed, as I stood from her hold. I slightly brushed off the dust from my coat and faced Yoona. “Now go.”

 

I can see her face in the hint of hesitation.

 

What is she doing?

 

Her hair was covering her head. She was looking at the floor, with no signs of movement or anxiety.

 

“Yoona!” I exclaimed, shaking her away of her thoughts. “Go! Give the cookies.”

 

She tilted her head up, to face me.

 

And..

 

Tears were racing down in her puffy cheeks

 

“Donghae-ssi.” She said, ignoring her tears. “I’m sorry.”

 

And…

 

She ran away from me.

 

What has happened to her?

 

***

 

 

Class dismissal:

 

Yoona rushed back to the classroom.

 

As I thought, the teacher did not mind our offense.

 

She had not given any assignments.

 

Or any activity.

 

Just as I thought.

 

Yoona was hunched back in her seat, resting herself in the wooden furniture.

 

She was oddly quiet.

 

She can’t even look at me in the eyes.

 

Very odd..

 

“Are you really okay?” she finally said, breaking odd the icy silence.

 

I sighed. “I said I am fine.” I moved closer to her. “Hadn’t I told you that several times?”

 

Yoona looked at me finally, smiling.

 

Wow.

 

She’s really beautiful.

 

“That’s good.” She said as she rested her head in her both hands. “I keep failing. It’s not going well at all.”

 

I walked towards her and patted her back. “Isn’t it just the first day of battle? It’s normal got it to have some difficulty.”

 

“Nothing good has happened at all.” She sighed. “To think for the seventeen years of my life, I didn’t realize this. But I know now how stupid am I.” she looked at me. “You think of that too right?”

 

“No.” I protested. “Our failures were my fault not yours.”

 

She leaned to her bag and slid out a container.

 

The cookie container.

 

“I worked hard to do this.” She spat a heavy sigh. “And now, they’re all pulverized. I cant give it now.”

 

She stood and sat again on the floor, hugging her knees. “I wrote a love letter and I put it on the wrong bag. I try to beat you up and I faint because of hunger. I play basketball and I get hit on the face. And if I try to ask him on lunch, he has no time. And now, I end up breaking the cookies. Such a failure.”

“There are other things too.” I joked, thinking I could comfort her with that. “Like forgetting to put the letter on the envelope.”

 

She kneaded her brow. “Yeah that too.”

 

Damn.

 

I can’t comfort her.

 

“Yoona-ssi?.”

 

She looked up.

 

“Can I taste those cookies?”

 

Yes.

 

Maybe I can comfort her with this.

 

“Eh?” She gave me a quizzing look.

 

“I’m just curious.” I answered, taking a piece from the cookie box.

 

I shoved the delicacy to my mouth.

 

And…

 

“Is it good?” she blurted.

 

Oh my..

 

She had probably mixed up the salt and sugar.

 

It’s..

 

TERRIBLE.

 

“Delicious!” I said aloud. “It’s well made.”

 

I can see her blush as if she had expected sarcasm from me.

 

“It’s a pity you haven’t have the chance to give it to him.” I continued taking off another bite.

 

Which I regretted so much.

 

“Do your best next time.” I tossed a piece to her. “Have some.”

 

And I guess it was a mistake.

 

She ate the piece. “It’s delicious!”

 

Delicious?

 

Does this girl ever had taste buds?

 

“This is the first time you ever called anything delicious.” I commented dryly.

 

“This is really good.” She took another bite. “Better than what I eat in convenience stores.”

 

Now I understand.

 

She had never eaten any homemade food apart from the lunch I am giving her.

 

I pity this girl.

 

She smirked. “And now I realized something after eating this” she spit out off the piece she is eating. “And I get it!” she leaned closely to me, until our noses were an inch apart.

 

“What?” I trembled.

 

“Failures come because you’re a stupid fish!”

 

“Stupid fish?”