Something Real

Deer x Fish

That same day, Donghae and Yoona went to the mall to buy some things. He don’t have any idea what this things are for but he had noticed that Yoona bought some gift wrappers along with it.

“Are you planning to wrap something? Perhaps a present?” he mused.

Yoona did not answer instead she just continued stiffing these things in her pushcart.

I wonder if she had money for all those.

 

***

As they got home, Donghae realized how rich Yoona was. She bought things that were nowhere cheap. Actually, they even rented two taxis just to bring all of those in her luxurious apartment.

No wonder she has this apartment. Rich bastard.

Yoona advised him then to leave. Donghae wanted to lend her a hand on wrapping those but she refused, saying that it was none of his concern. Donghae just rolled his eyes and gritted his teeth.

***

The next day, Yoona called him from her apartment. He came at once and was surprised to see all those presents wrapped neatly and piled in apple-pie order in one of her tables.

“Do you really want to take all those?”

He attempted to touch one, the one with the cute pink layout but she held his hand and stopped him.

“Don’t touch!” she scolded him. “This is not your concern. Anyway, just help me find a cart to take these to the post office.”

Donghae then understood everything. She was planning to send presents to someone.

He tilted his head, to peek at the address and was shocked to see where these packages were heading.

To her father? To her stepmother? To her mother?

Yoona had told him once that his father’s business was once bankrupt and her mother was forced to file a divorce bill against him for some reason. Her real mother married another man and gave birth to a child, nowhere close to her. Her father on the other hand remarried another woman. Yoona was not in good terms with her that’s why she was forced to live alone.

Alone in her apartment.

“What? What the hell?”

“If it weren’t Christmas, I would have beaten you up already.” Yoona sat on a chair. “But for the sake of being good, I’ll forgive you. These presents are for that family.”

“Why are you doing this? Don’t tell me, you’re planning to give them another chance?”

“It’s not because of that.” She answered seriously. “It’s because it’s Christmas.” She sighed. “It’s because they’re my parents.”

“What’s with that?”

“I also have presents for you and Um—your mother.”

“I’m not talking about that.”

“I know what you want to say but I don’t want to hear it.” She stood and walked towards the door. Her fingers curled at the knob.  “I’m going to get the cart.”

Donghae sighed. He knelt to get the biggest box and see where it was addressed to. He was so surprised that he nearly choked the air he was breathing.

“Santa Claus?”

***

The post office was full to the brim with people. No doubt they too were feeling the essence of Christmas.

“I went to an all-girl catholic school all my life.” She began, breaking the ice between them. “I was then rejected because of my bad behavior. At the school you have to do volunteer work with the sisters. That means, we play with the orphans and do odd things.”

She sighed and drummed her fingers. “The present with Santa written to it is actually for the children in that Catholic School.”

***

“First presents for that family and for the orphans.” He said, pulling the cart. “Sorry but I don’t understand you anymore.”

They had sent the presents already. Apparently, Yoona paid a huge amount for the shipping but she didn’t mind. She never minds!

“I want to tell them that there are people watching them.” She answered. “Christmas is a time to be good. Even though you don’t have parents, there is always someone watching over you. I want them to know that someone cares for them.”

“That’s-“

“I know, it’s self satisfaction. But it’s because someone is really watching over me, I want them to realize that too.”

Donghae nodded.

“To me that person is Santa.”

“Santa. Santa.” He said in mockery. “Do you really believe in him?”

She ignored him. “I truly love Christmas.” She smiled. “Also, you know I met Santa before. It was when I was still young. “

It was on Christmas eve when my parents were still together. I was sleeping under the Christmas tree in the living room. I woke up because it was cold and when I looked by the window…

Santa was there.

He gave me a present and said. “If you become a good a child, then I’ll come again.”

“Well it might have been a dream.”

Donghae now understand fully. She was really a lonely girl. At least this time, he’ll make her happy.

“But even so it was really a happy dream. That’s why I want to be good. Do you think it is stupid believing in a dream?”

“No I don’t think so.” He answered.

“It’s a dream.  It’s not like it’s real anyway. It’s not like I’m clinging to something real. “