One Step Forward

Deer x Fish

 

Donghae took his steps quickly, almost running. He remembered exactly the words Hyoyeon said on the other line.

Tiffany, the student council president will leave to study abroad. Probably because of this. Siwon is-

“That !” he cursed. He ran towards the park where he occasionally sees Siwon. And he was right, he was there gazing at the stars.

Upon seeing him, Siwon stood to greet him but DOnghae’s not in the mood and punched him.

 

***

“I’m sorry.” Siwon said, nursing his bruised Donghae had given to him. “I didn’t tell you guys about it.”

“You hold back too much. “

“I didn’t tell anyone because I thought it was pretty lame. I mean I’m in love with the president.”

Donghae looked at him. “I heard that Tiffany-ssi is leaving for America.”

“Yeah.” He said. “ She wants to be an astronaut. A professor accepted her there “

“Wow that’s incredible.”

Siwon closed his eyes. “Actually, I wanted to confess once I become a student council president. But here comes this affair and by the time I become the president, she’ll be gone. There would be no more reasons to be elected.”

“So that’s why you dyed your hair?”

“My dad punished me today.” He continued. “I have been punched twice today.” He gaze upwards. “I’m such a fool! Even If I can win her over, it’s not like she would give up her studies just to be with me. “

Donghae looked seriously. “Wishes don’t always comes true.”

“What makes you say that?”

“Nothing really. I just thought of a similar situation I had with Yoona.” He answered. “Someone told her that things aren’t going well for her. In the end, she got mad and beat the person up. “

“Oh as expected of Yoona.” He said. “Perhaps I would feel better if Yoona beats me up.”

And they heard a voice calling Donghae.

“Stupid fish.” She billowed. “Where are you?”

“I know what’s going on.” Siwon said, unmindful of Yoona looking for them. “She tried running for my sake. I know everyone’s worrying about me. I know I can’t stay like this forever. “ He finally stood. “Don’t worry. I already made a decision.” And he left, leaving him with the newcomer, Yoona confused.

“Hey what’s that?”

“Nothing!”

 

***

“Come on guys. Tomorrow is election day. I’ll chase everyone who doesn’t vote for me into the depths of hell. Listen this school will be-“

“Yoona!” said someone in the crowd. He was walking towards her and with his hair back to normal. He climbed up the steps and smiled to Yoona. “I’m sorry but I’m okay now.” He faced the excited crowd. “And I won’t allow something like this to happen! I would definitely steer this school to the right path. I, Choi Siwon would run as the student council president.”

And so everyone cheered happily.

***

“The rule books says that if Siwon won’t be able to submit his application form, then Yoona is the president.” Taehee glanced at the clock. “It’s 10 minutes before four.”

Donghae clenched his fists. “Sorry Madam. But I have to go. “

He ran towards their classroom just to see Siwon packing his bag to leave. “Hey Donghae. Yoona and the others were already gone. I think they’re going to the café-“

“Four o’clock is the deadline for the admission for your form.” He interrupted.

“I’’ have to give up.” He casually said. “It’s alright anyway.”

“Siwon.” That’s all he can say.

***

They walked to the corridors as they decided to go home. “We haven’t walked together for a while.” He said. “I think the last time was when we were still freshmen. “

“Because you were so busy.”

Siwon smiled at him. “Havent I told you why I joined the student council?”

“T-true?”

“I was so enthusiastic when I entered this school. The first step towards highschool was having a girlfriend right? I heard that there’s a pretty girl in the other class so I decided to confess to her.” He smiled. “Oh you already know this part. When I was feeling really down when Yoona rejected me, I met her.”

 

“I saw everything!”

I looked up to see a beautiful girl grinning at her.

“Don’t worry your highschool life had just begun. Come join the student council.”

She said I would feel better when I am doing hardwork there. Just like that, I was brought into the student council room. Since then everyday has been fun. My wish to have fun came true. That uncertain steps I took after her words led me there.

 

“And yet I can’t take the next step.” He paused to grit his teeth.

“So you’re running away?” said a voice.

They looked up the steps, and there before them was Tiffany with her arms folded.

“What about the underclassmen who were expecting you? Are you going to abandon them? Don’t tell me you’re a man who would do that.”

Siwon took away his sight on her face. He avoided her stare.

“You took the first step didn’t you?” she continued. “You wanted to move forward right? So what other choice do you have?” And she slapped Siwon with the application form. “But to take a step forward?”

“Don’t slack off.” She said calmly this time. “I’ll be watching what kind of president you will be.”

She left them without a word.

“What time is it now?”

“4:58.”

Siwon stood erectly. “A superstar always comes last.” He turned to DOnghae. “ Sorry to leave you but I have something to do.”