The Stars Are Far

Deer x Fish

 

Siwon welcomed them with a charming smile. But the smile was obviously forced. It was not the smile he always wears everytime he wakes up for another day. It wasn't the charm he uses whenever he talks to the students. It was a fake smile: a pretentious and lonely smile.

 

“Hi Donghae.” He greeted the bewildered two. “Hi Yoona.”

 

The two simultaneously drew a breath to scold him but no one had the strength to do so. They instead had sat down beside him and asked him why he was there.

 

“Nothing. My dad banish me from home. For me being blond.”

 

Both knew it was a lie. Of course it was! His father himself had said that he did not come home. What more to banish him?

 

“Why did you dye your hair?” asked Donghae for he could not bear his curiosity.

 

Siwon smirked at him and for the first time it seemed very annoying. “Well just to try it out.”

 

“To try it out? Are you insane?”

 

He gulped as he turned to answer. “I am not. Just don't ask. Don't you want me here?”

 

Donghae decided not to pursue any further. He stood and stared at Yoona who was at that time trembling. He can't blame her. After all her crush was in front of her, asking her for a place to stay for the night. He just signaled her to come to the kitchen where they could have a little talk.

 

***

 

 

“What do you think is happening to him?” asked Donghae to Yoona, careful not to make his voice loud enough for the unexpected visitor to hear.

 

The girl rolled her eyes. “Whatever it is I don't care. He's with us and isn't that good for our plan?”

 

He glared at her. The fierce glare that everyone in the school fears. Yoona started back. “Hey what's with that glare?”

 

“Siwon is depressed and you are still thinking about your plan? What kind of selfish creature are you? You still thought of yourself while others were suffering. Could you give yourself a little break and think about others. What's important now was Siwon not your wanted love?”

 

Yoona fell silent. She didn't know what to say. Was she really that selfish? As for Donghae, he didn't know what came up to him to say those things. Maybe a devoid for emotion.

 

 

 

They enjoyed playing with each other. Pressing their thumbs to the the playstation as they thumbed for more popcorns. Much to Yoona's delight, Siwon was seated beside him. But for some reason, she no longer feel that happy. It was as if someone has taken over her and her feelings for Siwon had vanished.

 

 

Siwon was already asleep but Yoona's eyes were still wide open. Her mind was wandering. What had happened to her? It seemed like Siwon is not the only who had changed. She also has changed. She felt guilty with her selfishness. No word had ever stung her that much except Donghae's. Why? It wasn't because they're friends or something. Even Yuri cannot do that to her. Why?

 

She frowned to herself. What was happening here? Whatever it was she doesn't have an idea.

 

Too much thinking, she decided. Her stomach churned. Hungry. She sat up and tiptoed towards Donghae's bed. She knelt beside him and gaze upon his face.

 

He's not that ugly. His eyes were charming. Man, he's cute. Why did I never realize that?

 

And then she realized what she was thinking..

 

No Yoona! Enough! Just wake him up so that you could eat.

 

She put her hands against his shoulders and shook him away from slumber. “Donghae wake up.”

 

“Sell that fish. No that's exponsive Yoona!” He mumbled through his sleep.

 

Yoona frowned. He dreamed of her? She shook him further and finally he sat upright. He frowned at her asking why she had woken him.

 

“I want to eat ice cream.”

 

“We don't have any.” He thought for a while when Yoona still insisted. “Very well, let's go to the Convenience Store. Maybe we could buy some.”

 

***

 

 

The two of them got dressed with sweaters and walked down the alleyways. It's in the middle of the night and Donghae wondered why would Yoona want an ice cream at that time.

 

“I was thinking earlier and I got hungry.” she explained.

 

“What were you thinking?”

“About Siwon.” she lied. “On what had gotten into him. I mean he's a good guy and strong. Why would he do that?”

 

Donghae fumed. He knew now, from his meditation the answer. He stopped walking and gazed upwards. Yoona, curious also gazed skyward, wondering what Donghae was looking at.

 

“The stars.” he began. “are like him.”

 

Yoona frowned at him. “Stars?”

 

He nodded and knelt beside her. “You see the two stars beside each other. They are like him. Why? It's because they seemed to be near each other but in reality they are not. They are million of light years away.”

 

Yoona swallowed a gulp. Now she knew.

 

“Not everything you see is real Yoona.” He finally concluded. “Not everything.”

 

Yoona closed her eyes. Donghae, recognizing the mood, suspected of her of thinking something. When she opened her eyes, she asked him. “Next week was the student council election right?”

 

“Yeah why?”

 

“At his condition now, Siwon won't be able to run.”

 

“So?”

 

“So I'm running to help him!”

 

This was a stupid plan for Donghae. He objected at first but upon hearing the other details he thought it was an excellent plan.