the end.

Song and Key

 

KiBum's POV

 

I slam my hand down on the alarm clock that dares to wake me. Why on earth would I set it so early after not getting home until one in the morning?

I look up at the ceiling and then jump up fully awake. I’m picking MeiXing’s grandmother up from the airport.

---

I jump up and down in the crowd of people all the while trying not to add additional attention onto myself. When the passengers begin to walk by, I hold up a sign that says “MeiXing’s friend!”

It takes about five minutes for a white haired woman to walk up to me with a questioning look on her face.

“Are you Kibum?” she asks squinting her large eyes.

I nod my head.

“Why are you wearing that getup?” she snorts refering to my disguise.

I laugh. “I’d rather tell you when we get to the car.”

“I wasn’t born yesterday boy. Why should I trust you?”

“That’s a good question,” I say rubbing my forehead. “I guess I could prove that I actually know her.”

She looks at me sternly. “What is her Korean name?”

“ChoHee,” I reply shortly. “Now let’s go.”

“Hold on, that was easy. Where is MeiXing’s family from?”

“I suppose her mother’s family is from Taiwan because she’s Taiwanese, and her family in Korea is from Osan. The rest of them are in the states.” Did I pass?

“Final question.”

Oh god.

“What was the name of her pet rabbit?” she looks pleased with herself, almost like she knows she’s tricked me.

“Sniffles.”

She smiles. “She wouldn’t tell just anyone about her rabbit, I guess I can trust you.”

“Awesome! Let’s get the other and go see her.”

 

MeiXing's POV

 

I wake up on top of my covers cold from the draft coming through the open window.

“ChoHee, we’ve got to go to the studio.”

I look at the clock; I only just got in six hours ago.

“Did you hear me? Be ready in 15 minutes.”

I groan. I’d rather sleep.

When I shut the door to Taewon’s car he explodes.

“WHERE THE H - LL DID YOU GO LAST NIGHT!” he yells speeding out of the neighborhood.

I rub my nose and look out the window. “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I mumble.

“LIKE H - LL YOU DON’T.” he takes a huge breath of air. “There’s no use denying it. Where did you go?”

I cross my arms. “I went out with friends and sang karaoke.”

He begins to laugh hysterically. “You…have friends? That’s the best thing I’ve heard in a while. You haven’t been out of my sight long enough to make friends.”

Pusht, not like you even listen if I told you.

We get to the studio and I begin to wonder if there was a reason (other than to keep me in his sights) that Taewon brought me here.

“Where’s Key?” Taewon asks sitting down on a sofa.

“Dunno, he said that he would be here,” Minho says from behind the glass wall.

There’s a knock at the door.

“Excuse me, I have a gift for MeiXing Choi,” Kibum says in the doorway.

I get up but Taewon pulls me by the arm.

“What is it now?!” I ask him.

“ChoHee don’t play into this ridiculous game of his," Taewon patronizes.

It takes everything in me not to slap him. “My name is MeiXing! Mei freaking XING! Why don’t you step out into the world and stop playing your own game! I'm Tiawanese-Korean-American for crap's sake! Korean is my third language and you act like i'm stupid when i don't know something. I can insult you in TWO different languages and you wouldn't know whether to take it as a compliment or not!”

I turn to Kibum and see a comforting look on his face.

“That is no way to talk in front of your grandmother,” he smiles.

Huh?

As soon as I open my mouth to retort, my tiny grandmother steps out from the other side of the doorway.

“Grandma!” I say running up to and hugging her.

“Why didn’t you call me?” she asks combing my hair with her fingers.

“I…” what do I tell her? The truth?...how could I nicely explain that I wish to break a contract made before my parents even met each other? “I didn’t know what to tell you,” I sigh truthfully.

“You could have just called and said you were alright. I was so worried until this young man called me and invited me to see you,” she explains.

I look at Kibum and give him a hug. “Thank you, this is the best present I could ever ask for.”

He squeezes me around the waist. “I could only ever do this for you,” he says into my ear.

“ChoHee, what is this?” Taewon demands.

“Oh, and you are?” my grandmother asks him.

He lets out a cocky chuckle. “I’m Taewon. ChoHee is my fiancé.”

My grandmother sizes him up.

It doesn’t take long for him to resort to his stupidity. “What’s all of this nonsense?”

I begin to walk toward him to smack some sense into him but Kibum locks his arms around my waist and rests his chin on my shoulder. “Just watch. I don’t think you’ll need to fight anymore.”

I pout but turn my attention to the five star showdown in front of me.

“What do you mean by nonsense?” Grandma asks the idiot.

“One, Key shows up late to a recording. Two, ChoHee is making a fool of me once again. Finally, a little old white lady is asking me questions. Why should I answer you?”

Oh no. Now he’s done it.

My grandmother chuckles. “Ahn Taewon, you were a brat when you were little, but at least you were cute then.”

I and the rest of SHINee laugh.

“You act all high and mighty, but you’re grandparents are the ones truly in charge.”

Taewon swallows.

“I’m sure you would hate it if I called them up and had a nice talk with them about how you’re treating your fiancé.” She walks up closer to him. “I maybe a ‘little old white lady,’ but I’ve been a close family friend since before the engagement.”

“Before these two were born?” Taemin says unable to help himself.

“Try before their parents were born,” she smiles softly. She looks to Taewon and her features become sharp. “The original engagement was for his mother and MeiXing’s father. There was a slight problem though. The two of them became friends like brother and sister. I tried to rid the engagement, and it would have worked, if Taewon’s mother didn’t get pregnant.”

She rubs her head.

“His father became an embarrassment to the entire family but somehow we were able to keep them together. Your grandparents were livid and ashamed that they could no longer keep up their end of the engagement.” She pokes him in the chest and I swear he looks like he’s about to cry. “But you are their grandson and to ease the humiliation DongMin said that as a replacement, the grandchildren could be married. Look at you.

“You’re an embarrassment to your family. You don’t know how to treat a person with respect not to mention your own fiancé. Are they paying you to follow through with this?” she turns away. “The engagement is off.”

“Miss Choi!” Taewon pleads. “It’s not that I don’t love your granddaughter! It’s just she hasn’t become fond of me yet.”

I look at him. “That’s never going to happen.”

Grandma smiles, “I think I like Kibum better for a grandson-in-law.”

“That’s ridiculous; you can’t go back on your word twice!” Taewon pleads.

She turns to him. “After I talk with your grandparents they’re not going to want you to honor the engagement either.” She grabs him by the ear and pulls him out the door. “As the head of the Choi family I find your existence annoying.”

I cover my smile as to not be rude.

“Did you hear that? She said she liked me as a ‘grandson-in-law,’” Kibum says before kissing my neck.

I turn around. “Oh please, she was comparing you to that idiot.” I smile wrapping my arms around his neck. “Even Taemin would be better.”

He looks at me jealous and then I kiss his mouth. He brings me closer and I tangle my fingers in his hair. “Whatever happens, no more stupid people between us okay?”

I nod and peck him on the lips.

“Oh wow, those steps are really a doozie,” a girl sighs leaning on the door frame.

“YUNA!” I scream.

“Did I forget to mention that was only half of the surprise?” Kibum smiles childishly.

“Mei dear! This is crazy amazing! Who would have thought that you, you the little Chinese girl would end up with a hottie Korean idol?” she teases.

I lean my head against Kibum’s. “I guess I’m just lucky.”

 

KiBum...

 

And then I found my song.

__________________________________

it's over...so weird. i was starting to get soo into it that all i did was write in my spare time. :/

i'm still taking requests so if anyone is interested i'd love the input (i'm leaning towards an MBLAQ story).

thank you so much for the support.

as always,

meimeng.

PS!!!

I'm starting a new story soon titled "call it what you want, but i call it's fate" its going to be the sequel to this story and focus more on YuNa than MeiXing (but MeiXing and Key are both going to be in it). i'll try and post the first chpater soon.