the call.

Song and Key

 

Taemin's POV

 

Once we get back to the dressing room we find that Manager Ahn is waiting for us with MeiXing and Key already inside. The two of them are situated on opposite sides of the room sharing awkward glances with each other.

I take a seat next to Key and look at our manager.

“This talk of Key’s friend has to stop,” Manager Ahn says rubbing his face.

We all look at him confused. He doesn’t know we mean MeiXing?

“I don’t what it in the tabloids that one of you is secretly meeting this mystery foreign girl.”

I don’t dare look at MeiXing, what if he found out? I already thought he knew.

Key’s the first to speak. “She’s only a friend,” he lies. If I, or any of the other guys said that then it would have been the truth.

“What’s so funny Taemin,” he asks giving me a stern look.

I cough loudly and scratch the side of my face. “It’s just that, we haven’t talked to her in a while. You really have nothing to worry about.” Not a total lie. If you think about it, MeiXing became ChoHee once she started living with Taewon. I look up at her. “ChoHee, you haven’t seen any strange girls lately have you?”

Taewon turns his attention to her.

She points at herself and I nod. “Aniyo, I’ve only seen you guys back here.” She waves her hands suggesting that she’s not hiding anything.

I smile, “See~ I haven’t seen her in days.”

Taewon rolls his eyes. “The point is, that girl is bad for your image. I don’t want to hear about her anymore. One word and I yank you off the stage.”

We all nod. He looks like he’s about to say something but his phone goes off and he immediately answers it. HE asks who’s calling and his eyes widen.

“Hold on for one moment please.” He gives us that ‘try me’ look and then runs out of the room.

“Nuna,” I say and give MeiXing a hug.

“That was close,” she whispers.

“I don’t ever want to be put in that situation again,” Minho says to Key. “Please just don’t pull that again.”

“It’s only Sunday and you’re already starting the week off on the wrong foot,” Onew jokes.

MeiXing looks up. “Is today the third?”

We nod and her eyes widen.

“Excuse me,” she whispers and I let go of her.

She pulls out a cell phone and makes a call.

The five of use look at her curiously perking our ears up to hear.

 “Hello? YuNa?” she speaks into the phone in English. “Happy Birthday!”

She wrinkles her nose and laughs. “Duh it’s me, who else would call you from Korea?”

She throws her head back. “I’m sorry it’s so early there,” she says switching back to Korean. She looks up and notices that we are all looking at her.

“Hey, do you think you could wish my best friend a happy birthday?” she asks with a cute smile.

“Anything for Nuna,” I cheer.

She puts her phone on speaker.

“Ya, Mei dear, you still haven’t told me what you’re doing over there,” the voice jokes.

We begin to sing ‘Your Name’ and get to the chorus cutting it short to wish her a happy birthday.

The phone is silent for a moment for the girl speaks. “MeiXing…was that a recording? Like a card you found in Seoul?...mail it to me please.”

We laugh. “YuNa! Have a happy birthday,” Onew says to the phone.

“Happy Birthday YuNa~” Jonghyun sings.

“Happy birthday YuNa!” Key and Minho say together.

“Nuna YuNa?” I smile. “Eat some cake for me! And have a happy birthday from SHINee.”

There is complete silence.

“YuNa, are you there?” MeiXing asks.

“MeiXing…I’m trying not to scream,” she whispers.

“YuNa?”

“Thank you so much!” she shrieks.

MeiXing laughs and turns the speaker off. “Hey, you can’t tell anyone that I’m working with them alright? If it leaked out over here we’d have lots of problems.”

She laughs. “Happy Birthday to you YuNa. Tell everyone I miss them.” Her face suddenly becomes serious. “No, I’ll call grandma later,” she says, but I don’t exactly understand. She smiles again, “Miss you, bye.”

She shuts her phone and looks at us.

“Thank you so much, YuNa loved it.”

“So that’s why you didn’t like being in Korea so close to your birthday! Your best friend’s is two days before yours,” Key says making the connection.

“Nuna’s birthday’s in two day?!” I yell.

She laughs. “It’s no big deal. And yes to both, we’ve been celebrating our birthdays together for years now. It seems weird not being with her.”

We all give MeiXing a group hug, Key naturally finding his way to be closest to her.

“Guys, it’s no big deal,” she laughs. “I’m a big girl, it’s fine.”

“Well we’re friends now aren’t we?” I say and she giggles.

“I guess we are.”

___________________________________

I'm starting to set up the birthday scheme...which, to be honest, i'm excited to write.

i don't know about you, but if SHINeee wished me a happy birthday...i would freak out and, knowing how clumsy i am, would accidently hang up on them. lol anyways i don't think i ever mentioned that her friends birthday was so close...mainly because i just forgot to write it in somewhere but the song they sing i have at the very bottom today.

much love,

meimeng