Chapter 19: DOnghae

Panophobia

 

Donghae.

Walking through the front door of my home I had expected my mother to yell at me and ask me where I had been... That's not exactly what happened. 

I glanced nervously around when I took my first few steps. I do have a lot here to call mine but a lot that I will never have.

I look around for my mother, but I can't seem to find her. Her car was in the driveway so I don't know where she could be! That's when I hear a cough coming from my room. My room. The one place in this house that I think I actually enjoy. 

When I walk into my room I see my mother sitting on my bed, hair a mess, dark rings under her eyes with loose fitting pajamas hanging from her skinny frame. A lit cigarette hangs from between her cracked lips. I stare at her curiously, waiting for her to notice my presence.

"I was wondering when you would come home." She spoke.

I glanced around uncomfortably, not really knowing what to do. There's obvious tension in the room. 

I advance towards my bed, expecting her to jump up and scream something at me. 

"Next time, tell me when you ing leave." 

Her words weren't as harsh as I expected, but still not surprising. I sighed and let her walk past my out of my room. When she was gone I set my stuff on my bed, looking around the room as I did so. Nothing has changed since I was last here. My room was very dull. Not exactly something a normal teenager would like.

One thing I know is that my mother isn't the worst mother in the world and I do love her.

 I peered down the steps to she where she was and she turned out to be sitting in the living room taking a drag of her cigarette and blew the colorless smoke from . I have always gotten sick at the smell of smoke. 

I suddenly wished that Jessica was right there with me, protecting me like she always has. She's on a vacation right now though, hundreds of miles away from here with her family, probably not worrying about life or anything.  At least she's having some fun down there, unlike me who doesn't know where my life is headed.

Well, at least at school tomorrow I'll find that small amount of happiness in seeing and hanging out with Eunhyuk.